IGNORED

Do you plan on getting both systems next year

Jim Pez

I doubt there's a PS5 in my future (of course, I said that about PS4, but did eventually get one and have enjoyed it). It's not impossible, but I have a zillion games already. I have games from this console generation I've barely even touched. I dunno. If it turns out that it somehow emulates every PlayStation before it and lets you use all of the old discs and whatnot? Sure, that's a library of literally hundreds of games for me, but I highly doubt that will be the case. Look, my PS3 still works fine, and you can buy a new one, easy. My PS4 is in no danger of exploding. In a world where you don't need the stealth DVD player or stealth blu ray player or stealth streaming box as much as you used to... I don't really know what a PS5 does for me. I really don't care about the latest Uncharted or whatever flavor of the month big box FPS is out there. THe arms race of increasing graphics and performance doesn't really mean that much to me or mine. When my current TV packs it in probably plays a bigger part in getting the latest 4K HIGH DEF whatchamajig to me than the difference between what a PS4 does and say, what a PS4 Pro does.

Amico? Man, it's way, WAY too early, and some of the zealotry and weirdness about a couple of matters so far ... I dunno. I do think it's a team of people with their hearts in the right place, and certainly at least a couple of people that I have a lot of respect for. I do like the idea of a system devoted to more casual games. It's just I find the that the two main thru lines, the idea that there's no way to play quality games locally without internet, and that the controller is SO UNIQUE THAT YOU CAN'T TRULY JUDGE IT UNTIL YOU'VE HELD ONE to be laughable. Look, I loved the Wii for a lot of different reasons... but guess how many of those reasons were because of the controller? Could the Amico gang have some kind of paradigm shifting, life affirming, INDUSTRY SHATTERING new controller that you will find as cool to use as grandma does? Look, I dunno. The controller might be neat, or it might be a gimmick. I found Wii motion controls to be way more on the gimmick side... so I will just say I'm skeptical. As far as not being able to play games locally, I glance over at my Switch, and probably 80% of the physical games I have for it accommodate local multiplayer, and an innumerable amount of the games I have for it digitally do, as well. Same with my PS4, really. Like, I often make it a point to find games I can enjoy with the people who will play games with me, so from that aspect, the Amico is a nonstarter for me. However, I will say that I'm intrigued by a couple of the announced Amico games, like R-Type and EWJ and new Moon Patrol and Breakout... so we'll see. I'm certainly not going to sing it's praises before it's even been released or before I've seen more than a screenshot's worth of gameplay. A t-shirt and a car ride for my favorite (or not so favorite) YouTubers doesn't move me; it turns me off. I would like to think I'm beyond the reach of "influencers," which are a stated part of their marketing strategy; all I care about are cool, fun games, and I hope they just stick to that instead of railing against "haters," and trying to get YouTubers on side or whatever.    

I'm going to end up being one of those guys you see on YouTube with a billion consoles huckled to various parts of their gaming set up. I'm already there; really, I just live in a crappy apartment without a ton of space, so my early 80s RF consoles live in one bedroom, with a dedicated TV, my 80s to 90s consoles with component or s-video live in another room with expensive component bank switchers and a tiny PVM, and my modern junk is hooked up in my living room with my trusty, but aging Samsung with two massive, scary industrial power strips and a variety of powered HDMI bank boxes that probably should be replaced with one large, powered unit to increase expandability and give me plug space back. Largely the only things I'm looking to introduce to the living room set up at this point are gaming solutions that make my life easier. I found room for a Mega SG, and I could probably be convinced to do the same for it's FPGA sister consoles. PS5 or Amico or pretty much anything else will have to prove it to me why they will be worth me freeing up an all important power plug and HDMI slot.

• Like 1

Like dj_convoy I ended up buying a (slim) PS4, mainly because my PC, which was perfect for games from the PS360 generation, is too old now. I played a few games like Deus Ex, Prey, and RE7 but I haven't played anything on it for more than a year. I still use it though, but to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Blu-rays.

So the only system releasing next year that I'm interested in is the Amico, but I'm still on the fence. I really like the concept and I'm intrigued by the controllers, but I prefer pixelart to "2,5D" even when it's pretty - I don't care about Cuphead and hated Ori. ? I pre-ordered the PC Engine Mini though. ?

• Like 1

I haven't even thought about buying something like the Amico or Playdate. I currently have both the PS4 and XBone, so I don' t yet need another console. I'm planning on updating my gaming pc and buying a Switch Lite. That will more than cover any retro and modern gaming needs I might have. 

No. For the first time since the Sega Gensis I won't be buying a system at launch. While I enjoy modern gaming somewhat there are still too many growing pains with it. Buggy games, hardware issues at launch,rushed games at launch that really don

t sow off the hardware that much/cross gen games, and to be honest I have so much to play between Switch XBoxOneX, and a pS4Pro that I bought this past April that I really don't care to be an early adopter fpr the first time in decades. Now if the new games on those system next year remain exclusive and don't release on what we have right now then I might buy one abit earlier. But I plan to wait a good 2 years before I buy an XBox and probably even longer for the next Playstation. Nintendo I'm not a huge fan of but if Sega continue to give them exclusives like they have with Panzer Dragoon Remake and Virtua Racing then I'll buy one right around the time I get the next XBox. But I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

SSD would be my number one reason to buy a new Xbox.  4k would be my second, though those spots would switch if we bought a 4k TV.

i think that'd be cool, too.  my hope is that if it does show to be 100% backwards compat, we get a way to 'add' the licenses from our discs to the new one for the disc games- we will likely never trade in or get rid of the disc games that we do own.

the last two games we purchased (Horizon 4 and Borderlands 3) were digital, simply because we felt there was no reason to keep buying discs since they're glorified hardware keys.  :)

38 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

the last two games we purchased (Horizon 4 and Borderlands 3) were digital, simply because we felt there was no reason to keep buying discs since they're glorified hardware keys.  :)

Exactly why most of my purchases have been digital.  I think it was Destiny: The Taken King which had a disc for the main game and a piece of paper with a code for the expansion.  That effectively negated any real resale value.  They're also more convenient since disks usually have to be in the drive to play.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 6:03 PM, Flojomojo said:

Where did you get to see the playdate?

tina fey wow GIF

They had a booth at PAX West this year. Built a giant one to put up front.

They admitted on Twitter after the show that it was secretly a stress test- see if any units broke down being played so much & why, so they could fix things before going into full production. They passed with flying colors though- not a single unit quit working.

Playdate.jpg

• Like 5

It's nice to have so many choices for game machines, but yeesh I passed the saturation point many years ago. 

nevertheless, I want:

Playdate

Analogue Pocket

maybe:

Intellivision Amico

Latest iteration of Chinese clone portable console

Some as-yet unannounced official mini console(s)

really shouldn't but never say never:

Playstation 5

hell no even if you paid me to take it:

"Atari VCS"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, zzip said:

I will probably have a PS5 eventually, but not at launch.   The first year of a launch console is pretty barren content-wise

And you get all the hardware issues..such as rubber wearing off on dual sticks..machines overheating. .optical disc tray motors burning out etc.

I used to buy launch hardware but no way...

Revised editions all the way now.

Let them sort out the manufacturing issues and build up a decent Libary,  throw in a price cut..

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, dj_convoy said:

Amico? Man, it's way, WAY too early, and some of the zealotry and weirdness about a couple of matters so far ... I dunno. I do think it's a team of people with their hearts in the right place, and certainly at least a couple of people that I have a lot of respect for.

Yeah, I don't understand the hype for this or the sheer hatred for the Atari VCS since announcement.    I'll just judge them when/if they actually come out.   Having a cool idea and making it actually work are two different things, just ask Ouya.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, dj_convoy said:

I do like the idea of a system devoted to more casual games

Well the problem is all these systems end up drawing from the same pool of indie games because it's expensive to fund a huge library of quality exclusives,  so all these systems will end up playing games that we can already play on PC, Xbox, PS4, Switch and mobile.

4 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

And you get all the hardware issues..such as rubber wearing off on dual sticks..machines overheating. .optical disc tray motors burning out etc.

I used to buy launch hardware but no way...

Revised editions all the way now.

Let them sort out the manufacturing issues and build up a decent Libary,  throw in a price cut..

Yeah, that can be an issue.   The rubber was the only issue I encountered on the PS4, and I fixed it immediately with $3 thumb stick covers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Yeah, that can be an issue.   The rubber was the only issue I encountered on the PS4, and I fixed it immediately with $3 thumb stick covers

As soon as i was made aware just how bad an issue it was..I ordered covers for the sticks alongside my PS4 console order.

Paid the price for being a day 1 Playstation owner with lens warp.

PS2, Jaguar and Mega CD.no hardware failures, but agonising wait for killer Apps to appear in decent numbers.

3 hours ago, pacman000 said:

No; for now I'm planning on playing with what I have. I may buy more games, but I've got little  time to play them, so I'll probably only buy if it's very cheap.

Exceptions: If I see an Atari Cosmos, Casio PV-1000, or one of Entex's Video-Handheld things at a store near me, I'd probably try to get it. ;)

I think everyone on here would buy a Cosmos if they found one (I know I would). Also that Entex system looks awesome.

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:24 AM, Flojomojo said:

hell no even if you paid me to take it:

"Atari VCS"

I could be paid to take it- mostly becuase I don't expect it to ever exist & I'd be surprised to actually be given one.

20 hours ago, zzip said:

Yeah, I don't understand the hype for this or the sheer hatred for the Atari VCS since announcement.    I'll just judge them when/if they actually come out.   Having a cool idea and making it actually work are two different things, just ask Ouya.

I think the hype can be summed up as such: We've seen snippets of gameplay, a few reputable people have said they've played the proto, the guy in charge will talk to us & hasn't asked for money. Sadly, that puts it leagues beyond the Coleco Chameleon & the Atari VCS in terms of 'thing that might exist someday'. I feel you on the Ouya thing- I'm really gonna have to play one of these just a bit before I'll really feel good paying for it- but, I think a lot of people just really want one of these revival systems to actually happen.

• Like 1

I'm so far entrenched in the Xbox ecosystem that I'll only go for Scarlett. I'd like to save up enough to pick one up on Day One. I haven't done that since the Dreamcast but not for lack of want, just funds.

As for the Amico, like many others, I'll reserve judgement for when it launches and what can be played on it. I'm far more interested in the classic games it will offer rather than anything new.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, zzip said:

I'm on the side of "sheer hatred" for the Atari VCS and I'll tell you why: they've been super dishonest about their capabilities, the ecosystem they'll bring, their reasons for using crowdfunding, and their development process. Both of their main project leaders have shown themselves to be untrustworthy, and both left the project angry (one was fired, one left after not getting paid -- at least that's the public story). Their communication has been insultingly inept, and the only real asset they have is their nearly 50-year-old company name, which has a reputation they did not earn in the slightest. Comparing them to OUYA isn't fair to OUYA, which launched on time, under budget, with a massive store full of software, and some modest retail success. "Atari" is coming at this with less talent, a worse idea, and fewer resources, so it's frustrating to see the fans of the "Atari" name say things like, "it hasn't been proven to be a scam yet!"

Your point about just judging them when/if they actually deliver is fine for projects that don't show probable cause for being scams. Playdate, Analogue Pocket, Intellivision Amico, and even the new Coleco mini-arcades are legit projects. From all the evidence shown so far, "Atari VCS" is not. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, Flojomojo said:

I'm on the side of "sheer hatred" for the Atari VCS and I'll tell you why: they've been super dishonest about their capabilities, the ecosystem they'll bring, their reasons for using crowdfunding, and their development process. Both of their main project leaders have shown themselves to be untrustworthy, and both left the project angry (one was fired, one left after not getting paid -- at least that's the public story). Their communication has been insultingly inept, and the only real asset they have is their nearly 50-year-old company name, who has a reputation they did not earn in the slightest. Comparing them to OUYA isn't fair to OUYA, which launched on time, under budget, with a massive store full of software, and some modest retail success. "Atari" is coming at this with less talent, a worse idea, and fewer resources, so it's frustrating to see the fans of the "Atari" name say things like, "it hasn't been proven to be a scam yet!"

Your point about just judging them when/if they actually deliver is fine for projects that don't show probable cause for being scams. Playdate, Analogue Pocket, Intellivision Amico, and even the new Coleco mini-arcades are legit projects. From all the evidence shown so far, "Atari VCS" is not. 

I mean, I don't really care about the drama.   There's a reason they say "you don't want to know how the sausage is made".   This kind of  stuff used to happen behind closed doors, but was often just as messy.   Just look at the history of Atari.   Jack T showed up at CES with a prototype ST that barely functioned was held together by duct-tape, while it gave impressive demonstrations,  the media and industry insiders publically doubted the thing would ever make it to production, because of Atari's poor financial standing at the time, and JT's awful reputation from Commodore.   Before that Nolan Bushnell talked about how he struggled to pay his employees and that's one reason he sold to Warner.

Only thing that matters is if they deliver a working product.  I mean, I know the Atari name has bounced around, and the company currently called Atari is plagued by quality and money problems.   Even if they can't make the ecosystem work, but deliver a Linux PC-based console as promised, that would be much more useful for many retro-projects than a Raspberry Pi because it would be significantly more powerful.   That's really the only thing that interests me in the project.   Certainly more useful to me than aB&W  handheld system, even if it has a crank

• Like 1

If i get a new console in the next two years it will probably be the Analogue pocket

PS5--No; unless its fully backwards compatible with PS1234; which is very unlikely. If it was it would be a day one purschase and i'd sell my PS1234.   May get it in 5 years or so once there is a decent library that can be had for 20 dollars a game (like i did with the PS4 to my great joy)

New Xbox--No; still have barely explored the Xbone library...i'll be busy with that for years.  Probably will skip this Xbone gen.

Anything else that is digital only: No

Polymega: For sure; if it's ever actually released. 

In the meantime i have many many games to play and it feels good to actually make a dent in the backlog and abstain from buying anything new.

• Like 1