IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 vs 9 Deluxe vs Atari Flashback X

Okay, I am a little confused.  I have the Atari Flashback 9 now and was wondering if there is a good reason to upgrade to the Deluxe other then the remote controllers?

There are a very very very select retailers online right now selling the Atari Flashback X and as of right now this isn't hackable, what does this fix other the looks and an updated Stella version..  I've been reading the threads, but I'm all confused..  ?

Thanks! :)

-Lockar

I don't think we know much at all about the X except that the casing looks more retro.  Did anyone ever really confirm that Stella was upgraded?  And still no games list.

If you have a Flashback 9 model with HDMI output then that's a pretty good one right now.  You can add games to it on an SD card, with or without my hack.  The X is still a bit of an unknown but may have some hacking potential.

The few affiliated retailers listing the X right now have the price jacked up and expensive shipping, and I'm unclear if they really even have them yet.  Also their description seems to be wrong as it mentions an SD card.  I'll wait.

I don't want to spam too many threads with this, but for those with the skills, this is a hack to make standard paddles work with the Atari Flashback 9 (HDMI only) series should that be something you want to do. Standard paddles will be released soon for original Atari paddle-compatible systems and the Flashback 2 - 8, and X.

Hardware Mod to Support Standard Paddles on Atari Flashback 9 and 9 Gold:

• Thanks 1

Well I took one for the team and went and got an Atari Flashback X, at the time of this writing I have not opened it yet..  But here are some pics of the box.

I will upload some pics of the the unboxing when I get a chance to..  

Atari_Flashback_X_Box_Back.jpg

Atari_Flashback_X_Box_Front.jpg

Atari_Flashback_X_Box_Side.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lockar said:

Well I took one for the team and went and got an Atari Flashback X, at the time of this writing I have not opened it yet..  But here are some pics of the box.

I will upload some pics of the the unboxing when I get a chance to..  

Nice pics. I love the new box art with the many characters surrounding the console.

Which retailer did you find this at?

2 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Nice pics. I love the new box art with the many characters surrounding the console.

Which retailer did you find this at?

Well I did an early thing and bought it from a USA retailer that is selling for list.  Yes I know.. BAD BAD BAD BAD.... 

If you must know it was :::cough::: MontgomeryWard :::: cough :::: (I know please don't tease me badly.. LOL)

You will notice from the pics that my edition came with a HDMI cable which I was surprised to find.. (Yes I know they are cheap these days but still, I was surprised to find it in the box.)

Atari_Flashback_X_Closeup_Console_HDMI.jpg

Atari_Flashback_X_InsideBox.jpg

Atari_Flashback_X_Power.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bmadgames said:

Is it confirmed that there will be no wireless/Gold edition of the X?

I can't speak to any special retailer bundles or anything because those always come out with a slightly different mix of games (usually a few additions), but this is the sole physical version for now, i.e., I have not seen a wireless version. Past retail bundles usually included extra games or paddles. While there were past versions with both wired and wireless controllers, I've seen nothing on that front in the planning for this year.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lockar said:

Well I did an early thing and bought it from a USA retailer that is selling for list.  Yes I know.. BAD BAD BAD BAD.... 

If you must know it was :::cough::: MontgomeryWard :::: cough :::: (I know please don't tease me badly.. LOL)

You will notice from the pics that my edition came with a HDMI cable which I was surprised to find.. (Yes I know they are cheap these days but still, I was surprised to find it in the box.)

I see that retailer (and their affiliates) are the only ones selling them online as of this posting. I'm waiting for retailers near me to get the FBX and Legends console in stock. I remember Walmart having the FB9 Boom already in stores by this time last year so I wonder how much longer it'll be.

40 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

As Microsoft sometimes says, perhaps they left this as a third party opportunity. Would be a neat craft project, I guess. 

It might have been cool if an SD card slot was an option to have it there, but then again it would have been rather small in comparison to the faux cutout. In any case, I'd be shocked if SOMEONE didn't come up with some Etsy thing to stick on there, e.g., a faux half cartridge to stick in to further complete the look (and of course some people also want some fake additional switches!).

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2

I liked the wireless models, the last two incarnations the wireless controllers have worked really well.  Dropping those would be a bummer.  I know cables, and even connecting to the back of the unit, is more authentic, but this is 2019 after all.  I use aftermarket wireless on my other mini consoles, but I doubt they will be forthcoming for the flashback.

So far the most the FB X seems to have going for it is just appearance (it does look good).  But I don't exactly hate the older style.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 7:18 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

For those without the technical skills to do the Atari Flashback 9 paddles mod, an Atari Flashback X trade-up program is expected to be implemented soon.

Thanks for the offer Mr. Bill, I won't trade my Atari Flashback 9 but this would be nice to put on AtGames website if anybody wants to trade ??