IGNORED

Flashback X found (in the wild) today!

OK, I couldn't wait. I picked up both tonight. My wife and daughter have already taken over the Legends FB and are playing Super Starwars. I put my sd card in from last years model and EVERYTHING works. 

The FBX is a cute little beast. NO sd card slot NO usb slot. The switches feel solid. Rear 9 pin controller inputs in the correct orientation.

I have not turned it on yet.

Ron 

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

if anybody knows which big chains has them i would like to pic one up.. for umm.. research :P 

(flashback legends)

any way you could share pics for the flashback legends? it using front usb ports, or could you share what the boot screen looks like?

Edited by WD_GASTER

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The Legends machine has an interesting software lineup, it's not every day you see ColecoVision games next to Super Nintendo games. All officially licensed too, I presume. Nice to see all the Super Star Wars games again. 

Speaking of ColecoVision, they added Exidy's Victory on Legends Flashback, too bad AtGames missed a perfect opportunity to tie-in to this Disney, The Muppets and Star Wars license for Atari Flashback X, though I do like its new sleek retro look, but Konami's Super Cobra by Parker Brothers is their only new addition, then Pitfall II: Lost Caverns gone!

Edited by TrekkiELO

50 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Interesting to see Fix-It Felix on there; from what I recall, that game was written in Flash and ran via a (Windows) stub executable.  Wondering what they did to get it running on the Flashback Legends.

Sega Genesis version

https://kotaku.com/fake-retro-wreck-it-ralph-game-winds-up-with-real-sega-1041076144

• Like 1

11 hours ago, original_gamer said:

Sorry for the fuzzy pics. Here are the game lists. Original paddles do work on the FBX although you need a joystick plugged into the right player jack to choose games.

If you press game select and game reset when powering up you get a "test" menu.

Ron 

FBX_list.jpg

Cool to see Space Raid! 8)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mdoerty said:

How does this compare to the lineup the last couple of years? Anything new on the Atari Flashback X?

Usually I pick these up when they bottom out at around $30.  

Last year's model (Atari Flashback 9) had an SDcard slot, so you could add in your own games, the only one that has that feature. As a result, the lineup matters less, because you can make it your own. The physical design was like the other Atari Flashbacks, with the big yellow buttons, but the controls are on point and the emulation was pretty good. It's at that bottom-out price right now if you want to snap that one up. 

This new one is supposed to run Stella for emulation, it has the cute case, but you can't add new games to it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure if it matters much without the SD card slot, but since AtGames is keeping tight lipped on their products these days and isn't even releasing release date windows and such before products reach stores, it would be interesting to see if the community can figure out if they've upgraded to a more recent build of Stella here (Unless Bill can talk about it, of course). 

Same with MAME on the Legends Flashback system. Unless one hopes to see if the Colecovision and SNES cores can be put to work here via loading roms off a SD card, it's not going to be a worthwhile upgrade for previous owners if it's otherwise the same as last year's original (Which I do like, but no point in upgrading when I don't have a need for the Colecovision and SNES cores).

Interesting to see Top Gear 2 for the Super Nintendo on here, but a bit of a missed opportunity. It's a solid game and one of the better racers on the system, but it didn't capture the heart of a lot of those that played it like the original Top Gear did on the Super Nintendo. 

Edited by Atariboy

Regarding the FB X, I think Bill has indicated that it MAY support USB OTG, allowing you to potentially plugin a thumb drive through a special type of USB Y cable or small hub/adapter, to expand games.  The SNES usb port was hacked to do this very thing.  This is very iffy at this point, even if the usb data pins are connected I don't know if the support is there or functional. 

I don't see anything in the FB X games list that would warrant AtGames spending the effort on a Stella upgrade, but maybe they'll surprise us.  If the hardware is roughly the same or similar as FB 9 we may be able to flash firmware through usb, hopefully without hardware mods, but with likely very limited internal storage it would kind of depend on the ability to use USB for much expansion.  Although most of the storage needs on the internal /rom partition were actually for box art.  The SD card slot on the FB 9 and the patching feature made things easier.

The one known plus with the FB X, other than aesthetics, is that it should work with unmodified paddles.

I don't know if this was mentioned - read the thread, but I could have missed it - but is the X out officially or was the street date violated? 

I know this was asked, but not sure if it was definitively answered (although the point about the SD card is very helpful): is there even one difference this year on the X in terms of game list? I so far don't see any...

The Legends unit quite frankly seems awesome...looking forward to it (and the X as well)… (anyone have any video reviews up yet?)...

Edited by AAA177

46 minutes ago, AAA177 said:

I don't know if this was mentioned - read the thread, but I could have missed it - but is the X out officially or was the street date violated? 

I know this was asked, but not sure if it was definitively answered (although the point about the SD card is very helpful): is there even one difference this year on the X in terms of game list? I so far don't see any...

The Legends unit quite frankly seems awesome...looking forward to it (and the X as well)… (anyone have any video reviews up yet?)...

The games list of the FBX looks almost identical to the FB9 Boom from last year. The only differences I noticed is the inclusion of Space Raid, BurgerTime, Burning Rubber, Lock n Chase, and Super Cobra. They replaced Frog Pond, Fun with Numbers, Slot Machine, Backgammon, and Track & Field from last year's FB9 Boom to keep the game count the same at 110.

Some of the inclusions were in the FB9 Gold from last year.

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 2

I decided to see if the FB X is being sold online, and currently I don't see it sold on Amazon. I find that very strange, because usually you can find them online but you pay about $10-12 for a new Flashback online than in brick-n-mortar shops. None of the stores in my area sell them until the holiday season, so I'll have to wait at least another three weeks until I can find them in my area. Until then, I may pick up a FB 9 Gold after my next paycheck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I'm not sure if it matters much without the SD card slot, but since AtGames is keeping tight lipped on their products these days and isn't even releasing release date windows and such before products reach stores, it would be interesting to see if the community can figure out if they've upgraded to a more recent build of Stella here (Unless Bill can talk about it, of course). 

Same with MAME on the Legends Flashback system. Unless one hopes to see if the Colecovision and SNES cores can be put to work here via loading roms off a SD card, it's not going to be a worthwhile upgrade for previous owners if it's otherwise the same as last year's original (Which I do like, but no point in upgrading when I don't have a need for the Colecovision and SNES cores).

Interesting to see Top Gear 2 for the Super Nintendo on here, but a bit of a missed opportunity. It's a solid game and one of the better racers on the system, but it didn't capture the heart of a lot of those that played it like the original Top Gear did on the Super Nintendo. 

It definitely matters.  Why put an SD card slot on one version and not the next?  I think it would sell way more if they did.  I know I won't be buying one without it.  As for ATGames it seems the communication is getting worse.  I'm still disappointed they couldn't get new paddles to work for the FB9!

• Like 2