IGNORED

Starting work on my first Homebrew

ZippyRedPlumber

Hi, I'm getting ready to start work on a homebrew for most Second Generation consoles, starting with the 2600 version first.

It's an arcade style endless runner (Think 2015's Sonic Runners, but done right i.e. none of that micro trans-action bullshit)

Now, I'm very new to programming (despite being a good graphics designer) so I don't know how to get a horizontal scroller to work. What's the first thing I should start with on vBBasic?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not to discourage at all, but just to help your game design:

Using batari Basic you can have single line color sprites, but Background color changes and Playfield color changes can only go down to double line. 

Mountain effects as shown with that detail are usually done by mangling the Ball or Missile object at the edges, moving it left or right down the screen as it is being drawn. This technique is not in the Basic framework.

Both those things can be done in an assembly programmed game. 

11 hours ago, iesposta said:

Not to discourage at all, but just to help your game design:

Using batari Basic you can have single line color sprites, but Background color changes and Playfield color changes can only go down to double line. 

Mountain effects as shown with that detail are usually done by mangling the Ball or Missile object at the edges, moving it left or right down the screen as it is being drawn. This technique is not in the Basic framework.

Both those things can be done in an assembly programmed game. 

This image my friend, was a mockup made in MSPaint. Graphics are subject to change. I appreciate you helping me on this. :)

Though I did make the playfieid using VBB's graphic converter, however stella read it as invalid, am I doing something wrong?

PlayFild.bas.bin

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber

What you want is probably possible using the DPC+ kernel.

That being said, the 2600 is limited and unusual.  You might want to play around with the examples / code samples to get a feel for what's possible when starting out.  Also, really explore Random Terrains website and all its glorious bB info!  https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html

On the VCS it's usually best to find interesting things it can do and design a game around that - instead of designing the game first and forcing your expectations on it.  Kind of bass akwards, I know.

• Like 1

That’s not a binary game file, but a text file that batari Basic compiles into an assembly binary file. 

VBB helps you write your source in Basic. It is just a text file. 

You then save it, compile it, then if no compile errors, the binary produced can be run in Stella. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

What you want is probably possible using the DPC+ kernel.

That being said, the 2600 is limited and unusual.  You might want to play around with the examples / code samples to get a feel for what's possible when starting out.  Also, really explore Random Terrains website and all its glorious bB info!  https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html

On the VCS it's usually best to find interesting things it can do and design a game around that - instead of designing the game first and forcing your expectations on it.  Kind of bass akwards, I know.

Actually I have been using Random Terrain's tutorials. I'll check out Atarius Maximus's stuff right now, thanks. :D

• Like 1

I suggest a duel. Assign an idea to the right side of your body and the other idea to the left side. Hold a feather in each hand and tickle your armpits until one side gives up. Go with the winning side.

These links might also help:

https://www.randomterrain.com/rt-free-game-making-ideas.html

https://www.randomterrain.com/rt-motivation-and-creativity-page-for-programmers.html

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Sad Update: due to current internal idealogical conflicts on what I want the game be (i.e me arguing with myself), development for the endless runner would be put on hold until further notice.

Welcome to the joys of development and it doesn't change from start to finish. Only advice i have is start simple with a concept that you know the system can do without restrictions. Then add the polish and details later, as time goes on and the game builds in complexity you will learn tricks along the way to add extra features.

So for instance if wanting a Mario/Sonic style platformer, aim for something like Pitfall - which you know the system is capable of. Everything on the 2600 needs to be scaled down - way down. Work on getting the engine mechanics up to scratch and the concept of what you're looking for first. Obviously you have that concept of an "endless runner" which sounds very Pitfall like to me.

Just always remember one thing about the 2600 and batari Basic is if you aim too high you will fall flat. If you're not fluent or very confident with the 2600 and batari Basic the biggest mistake would be to aim for Zippy or Princess Rescue right off the bat. Start simple, learn and discover and you will quickly realize the restrictions of the system and how to work with or around them.

Good luck with your game.

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Welcome to the joys of development and it doesn't change from start to finish. Only advice i have is start simple with a concept that you know the system can do without restrictions. Then add the polish and details later, as time goes on and the game builds in complexity you will learn tricks along the way to add extra features.

So for instance if wanting a Mario/Sonic style platformer, aim for something like Pitfall - which you know the system is capable of. Everything on the 2600 needs to be scaled down - way down. Work on getting the engine mechanics up to scratch and the concept of what you're looking for first. Obviously you have that concept of an "endless runner" which sounds very Pitfall like to me.

Just always remember one thing about the 2600 and batari Basic is if you aim too high you will fall flat. If you're not fluent or very confident with the 2600 and batari Basic the biggest mistake would be to aim for Zappy or Princess Rescue right off the bat. Start simple, learn and discover and you will quickly realize the restrictions of the system and how to work with or around them.

Good luck with your game.

• Like 2

INTERESY CHECK: Proof of concept rom for a different project

Would you like me to tackle this instead of the endless runner?

SonicresQ.bas.bin

EDIT: until I get permission and blessings from SpryBug, Princess Rescue's creator. I'll be holding the rom "hostage" for a while

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber

On 11/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

INTERESY CHECK: Proof of concept rom for a different project

Would you like me to tackle this instead of the endless runner?

SonicresQ.bas.bin 32 kB · 10 downloads

EDIT: until I get permission and blessings from SpryBug, Princess Rescue's creator. I'll be holding the rom "hostage" for a while

Reminds me of Somari. ;)

• Like 4