IGNORED

Nina's Diary Program

tschak909

Nina's Diary program for her Atari 8-bit is finished. I have attached a GIF video showing it in action. (please bear with the graphical glitches from the screencap tool) ;)

The code is here:

https://github.com/tschak909/ninas-diary/releases/tag/v1.0

A demo video of it, is here:

EkZpjz9.gif

It is released as an 8K cartridge.

It uses its own disk format, formats a very blank disk, and just stores the diary pages back to back, taking 8 sectors each.

The first sector is used for a boot message.

One change I will probably make, will be to add a volume bitmap, so that you can have gaps in pages and be able to keep track of them. We'll see.

I am literally putting this onto a 32K EPROM with the XEGS OS and replacing Missile Command, so she can jump right into this at boot.

-Thom

diary.bin

• Like 13

4 hours ago, gozar said:

Looks good! I wish I would have thought of it when my daughter was younger. ?

Have you thought about making it a little harder to format a disk? Maybe control-f and typing out yes

You have to press SHIFT Y. This is IMHO hard enough.

Carlsson: nope, no RTC.

-Thom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carlsson said:

If the actual diary is stored on a floppy disk, she could put it in a little box with a combination lock. Her nosy little brother might have access to the XEGS to play classic Atari games, but not read her inner thoughts.

Her little brother steals and hoards my electronics under his mattress. Last week I found: my work phone (thumbprint security changed to his); a Dreamcast VMU; my Lynx (my McWill'd Lynx. On which he played CRAPPY GAMES!!!); two GPS units; a Google Watch; my instructional manual for a course in Modern Standard Arabic (?). I think I need to start using this diary. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I hope. I really don't know. This is something I can do, and I'm an aspergery bastard, so I need to find something I can obsess with her over.

-Thom

Believe me she will remember this much better than any store bought gift for years to come. Case in point, my dad wasn't emotionally available when I was growing up, and I often times wonder if he had Aspergers (and sometimes I wonder if I have a touch of this also). Anyway to this day I still remember him building a telegraph from nails, cut scraps of tin, wire, and some big dry cell batteries. He presented this to me and my brother when I was probably 7 or 8 years old. He had done it in secret each night after we went to bed. It was the coolest gift ever, and over the following days my brother and I copied what he had done and built a 2nd unit that we put over in the neighbour's house with wires strung between. We sent morse code back and forth for weeks thereafter. So YES your daughter will remember this :) .

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, rdea6 said:

The overly descriptive page # 3 is a distraction to me.. Pg 3 is clean and neat.

also the script font is hard to read. 

This is why I provide source, I want others to modify and make it better.

The script font was chosen because Nina is learning cursive writing. :)

-Thom

• Like 1