IGNORED

I wonder if he will do Atari titles..Probably not..

Mclaneinc

Huge Atari fan Darren is, apparently..

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/bitmap-soft-looks-to-expand-the-retro-publishing-scene/

Taking free games and altering them a bit and charging for them.....Hmmm....Note the 'homage'

Oh well, he MIGHT do some Atari bits...maybe..

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, orpheuswaking said:

My understanding is that there will be some a8 games down the road. 

Several days ago ‎Jamie Battison‎ from Bitmap Soft wrote this on atarionline.pl Facebook profile:
"I am looking for devs who maybe interested in releasing an Atari XL/XE game with our Bitmap Soft label?"

So yes, they are interested in A8 games publishing :)

Hi,

I'm curious on what the added value is that they provide? There's no network of computer shops to supply, and if I want to distribute a game on floppy, I can buy x many disks from floppydisk.com, or just set up a PayPal account, and email ATR images or post floppies. I can write a fancy manual, but make it available as a PDF or print it out at my local print shop, but I'm a bit unclear on why a coder would sign up with them, as opposed to going it alone?

• Like 1

Developers who don't fancy going through all those steps to write floppy disks or sell disk images, not wanting to handle payment solutions and customers. Also supposedly there is a bit of a marketing factor here, at least if one publisher has many titles available customers will come there to look for more. As an entirely indie dev, you will have to get through the noise to find your customers or even users of free stuff. Sure, posting threads here on AA will target a big fraction of potential users.

However if the projected sales are few and you don't need the extra $5 you could make over time, you would lock up your own games by giving them exclusive rights to sell them. I know Psytronik used to work like this in the beginning, but they have changed their policy nowadays so the games (or at least basic versions thereof) can be offered for free download at the same time they sell physical copies.

After the reaming Darren got on here with his Kickstarter I would imagine the Atari isn't particularly high on his list of platforms to publish for. I also expect that some of the money his Kickstarter raised was used as the seed capital for getting this venture off the ground.

Personally I think that if he is taking foreign language games and translating them, more power to him.

I wonder if Jamie is James from Rhayader Computers?

I would have thought Darren would be more concerned with getting that book out (not heard anything about it since) but as it seems this new venture is going to support the Atari as well then good luck to him, i just hope that what comes out is not just slightly adjusted previously available free stuff as hinted at in the interview...If its proper titles then he's going to get business from us...

He's been showing off bits of the Atari book, has an arcade book on the go and is now working on this. Busy bunny.

Looks like it's going to be slightly adjusted, previously available free stuff, in English, with proper boxes/box art and manual. Also looks like they will be offering digital downloads for all the people who claim they'd be happy to pay for those if they existed. Maybe this is an opportunity to convince peteym that a DD is a viable option?

Lol....No chance :)

PeteyM is never going to do that despite it being a pretty decent revenue stream..Lance is also against it so I doubt it will ever happen...Tis a shame but its their business...

Glad the book is coming along, people put their faith and cash behind it so I hope its every bit as good as it can be..