IGNORED

small monitor?

doctor_x

I've noticed in some user pictures they show themselves using their atari with a very mini sized flatscreen monitor in color. Im guessing this is only possible with something like Lothareks XBXE product.

Obviously I can google and have found a ton of things but I was wondering what the general consensus was about the best one to buy?

Thanks!!!

docx

I think he's referring to something a lot smaller, though these small ones are probably the same as far as inputs go. The early 4:3 screen ratio LCD TV/monitors were generally classified as 'Enhanced Definition" as they were generally 480p (NTSC) instead of 480i like old CRT's.

Atari_800_PAL_Atari_810_Atari_410_Boxed_07.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I think he's referring to something a lot smaller, though these small ones are probably the same as far as inputs go. The early 4:3 screen ratio LCD TV/monitors were generally classified as 'Enhanced Definition" as they were generally 480p (NTSC) instead of 480i like old CRT's.

Atari_800_PAL_Atari_810_Atari_410_Boxed_07.jpg

As long as they have composite it works fine. IMHO nothing works as well as a CRT, but I am old school. I have used several LCD TV's on my original 800 but happy to have an Amdek now for it.

33 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

As long as they have composite it works fine. IMHO nothing works as well as a CRT, but I am old school. I have used several LCD TV's on my original 800 but happy to have an Amdek now for it.

I am a fan of both for different reasons, and though I am only using LCD atm, I will have one Atari with 1084 CRT and one with LCD eventually for the best of both worlds. I prefer CRT over-all, but one thing I really like about LCD displays is no scan-lines and no skipped scan-lines for a 192-240p screen, this doubles the color saturation of the screen images as there are no black/empty scan lines every other line and is much better for mixed GTIA modes that I work with a lot for maximum colors. But some games used certain aspects of CRT, like the natural anti-aliasing and so they look better on CRT; this is best though when the machine is using 480i resolution, which most computers before the 90's and most console in the 90's didn't have, they only did 240p, skipping scan-lines. The 3DO system was the first console to use interpolation with a 320x240p graphics within a 640x480i window, so there were no skipped scan-lines and it was more like 240p on LCD's, except for the interlace flicker and it looks a lot better to me than the Jaguar, Saturn and PS1 that still used 240p. I think the N64 still used 240p too, so it wasn't until the Dreamcast that we had true 480i. Of course the smaller the CRT screen, the less noticeable the skipped scan-lines become. I remember playing the Saturn on a 36" CRT back in the 90's and I thought it looked terrible because the skipped scan-lines were blatantly noticeable. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a modded PS1 LCD screen connected to an Atari, perhaps at one of the Czech AtariAda's?

I have a PS1 LCD that I've used, no modding involved since it has composite input.

2027380507_Atari800XLPSLCD.thumb.jpg.c3ddac396993d33f6587f6853910073b.jpg

I also have a 15" LCD TV that has composite/svideo/VGA:

Atari800LCD.thumb.JPG.c417ce35d563fc69e682edc7b0cbe8fc.JPG

Dell has a line of monitors, the 2007FP, that have composite/svideo/vga/DVI:

1596686876_Atari1200XLandLCDmonitor.thumb.JPG.d2fa25af7c6ee8ecd3a10bcb16982af1.JPG

• Like 3

I've briefly tried some 7" TFT (16:9) from a car DVD system. While those display a composite video signal, they don't have enough vertical resolution to display all lines meaning some pixel lines will be cut off. It might depend on the video source, I believe NTSC works better as it generates fewer lines on the screen but then comes the next problem, that at least the TFT's I've tried don't grok the colour info in NTSC so I end up with a B&W image.

• 2 weeks later...

The small screens can be ordered from AliExpress or DX too.

The "car" monitors work pretty decently with signal from Atari, however the viewing angles are limited unless you get an IPS screen instead of TFT.

In my opinion, it is better to buy a second hand small flat TV with composite input.

If you decide for a "car" LCD monitor, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 9 inches (my personal experience is that 7" is small). Some of the "car" monitors even have speakers to reduce clutter on your desk.

To connect, I use DIN 5 to 4 CINCH cable, also easy to get.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:55 PM, doctor_x said:

I've noticed in some user pictures they show themselves using their atari with a very mini sized flatscreen monitor in color. Im guessing this is only possible with something like Lothareks XBXE product.

Obviously I can google and have found a ton of things but I was wondering what the general consensus was about the best one to buy?

Thanks!!!

docx

Hi doctor_x,

I´m using on my repair desk a small and handy 10 inch "Lenco TFT 1026" for my ATARI´s.
It´s an portable TV with build in battery, Native resolution of 1024x600 pix, with separate A/V-Input, HDMI-Input & Antenna.

It works perfectly for me ?.

Gtx.,

andY

IMG_20191019_190127.jpg

81fRBmXNQpL._SL1500_.jpg

812Gn-b6FNL._SL1500_.jpg

819RgrIA3GL._SL1500_.jpg

81wrmD-3XHL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Caution with some of the smaller LCDs - some have such pathetic resolution that even the Atari's display would suffer.

Given that LCDs are generally not the greatest outside their native resolution (or integer multiple or divisor), for the Atari display you'd probably be wanting something with native res of at least 600x400.  And of course you don't get a direct pixel mapping, and the Atari display as seen on most TVs in pixel terms is more like about 330x496 (doubling vertical to account for progressive display which leaves blank interlace lines)

• Like 1

Every type of screen has its purpose. For gaming at home, some might prefer a 40-50" or larger TV. For going to expos and you have a car to pack full, sure you can bring your 14-15" CRT or decent LCD screen. If you are travelling light and simply bring an Atari + PSU + some display in a backpack, you want as small screen as possible. If you are going to run multiple systems next to eachother, some mainly for monitoring purposes, those 7-9" TFTs suddenly come handy.