IGNORED

Everyone's a Wally possible on A8? Maybe a yes sir...

José Pereira

Following my posts from yesterday on the Jet Set Willy 2019 thread:

Hi.

Yes, most of these sort of hi-res games with square gfxs like this one, Manic Miner and Saboteur can be coloured using PMGs so another one that seems possible is and would be aslo a god adition is Monty on the Run.

From the very early games I saw in a computer here was at a friends house in his Timex2068 emulating ZX48K Everyone's A Wally. I was jealous with those nice gfxs (even without hardware coloured sprites on A8 like the C64 has):

everyones_a_wally_02.png.5cd279ac4cfc72c01b7e21eacf7ffc0c.png  everyones_a_wally_03.png.4c48056995f2f38f15dc2f8f5f2469c2.png

What could we do when the gfxs are rounded?

The player's characters could be a square erasing PMGs pixels of the gfxs or have it/them a square in chars boundaries like was cleverly done on the ZX's version:

The CPC version to have more colours is using ours 2:1 ratio and ssoft sprites but they can have 16colours on screen using this mode so I don't seem it'll be colourfull screen per screen:

extra_lire_fichier.png.4e6056b3a4cd0818d17377d506b49c08.png  1330527688_extra_lire_fichier(1).png.e0830f58bd558e5c46ada4d638507b66.png

:?

Not wanting to polute this topic but is just a first idea is Antic4 (seems possible each screen a single charset for playing area and 1 for the status area per all screens). DLIs colours if PFs per each screen then 4guys per line not yet done but could be 4per line using BAK/PF0/PF1/PF2 or PF3 then using Priority_1 would each gets also orings so similar to CPC with any colour on them seems possible:

2114074934_extra_lire_fichier_onlyplayingareascreen_1.png.83d264b0aa618727267cf0f51b734ad5.png 

This one already have 16colours ?...

?

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 3

So 'back on business' ? :thumbsup: here's the definitive 1st screen looking but now with also a definitive solution for the status area and yes, Amstrad CPC 2:1 and using A8 2:1 ratio in Antic4/Gr.12 charmode seems the best and only possible way to go:

1260800535_extra_lire_fichier_1NOGUYS.png.a20e42ae4d799115141db1306539d78a.png

All screen have 24colours and about 16colours are on the playing area and is the base for the game all other screens.

Common colours on all screens will be:

-> BAK: black;

-> PF0: red;

-> PF1: yellow;

Then PF2 and PF3 changes their colours across the screen, for each screen and sort of gfxs/objects.

Having those 3 common they can be used on the guys with each one using a Player so 4 per line are possible but also PF2 and PF3 not beeing used on the guys there's not clashes.

This opens many possibilities:

-> If we want to have guys as PMGs only and using Priority_1 then we can have only 2 per line and if other(s) appear then there's a certain flicker;

-> If 4 per line and combined each with 1 PMG but still using Priority_1 is also possible;

-> Have the same 4 per line but using Priority_0 and Orings only 2 can be Ored (PMG_0 and PMG_1 with PF0 and PF1) or the other 2 Oring PF2 and PF3 is difficult because of the PF2/PF3 DLIs and the clashed that'll involve but also something be possible...;

Also the status area in a single charset that is for all in-game screens the same while the playing area can be (this one here has only about 40chars) one per in-game screen leaving lots of free chars if the guys will be soft sprites together with PMGs or 2 or 3screens can share 1charset.

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Things solved seeing better a longplay video of the C64 version:

There's always a maximum of 2guys per line/screen so is simple as 1 is PM0/PM1 while the other is PM2/PM3 in Multicolour mode 3colours using Priority_1 always over all PFs.

Because I already said that I can, maybe sure, to have PF0 and PF1 (red and yellow) common for all in-game screens) then these can be used with no clashes (versus C64 that as you can see has) as soft sprites only ? on those other/enemys most of the times bouncing things so will be even better vs them ?.

Also our guys like are on the CPC version (has 10pixels wide) is 'our friend' ? that'll be exactly P+M that we can even improve adding DLIs to change the colours across the boddy like face, shirt, trousers,...

Also this way (this screen has 40chars) then adding some chars for the soft sprites a possible of 2screens per charset are possible.

P.s.- At the top, I forgot to say that those leftest side objects gfxs will be any colour because they'll be using PMGs (again in Multicolour mode) so all them are possible and even more colour on-screen.

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

Also this way (this screen has 40chars) then adding some chars for the soft sprites a possible of 2screens per charset are possible.

From ZX's version the game has 36screens more a text one so if isn't all that hard that if it'll make it possible on the Spectrum will also be on A8.

Also C64 on those soft sprites bouncing (maybe because of a slower machine it is...) only seems to have a maximum of 2 while ZX have 4 and maybe we also because we will not need our guys to be also soft sprites (though we have some cpu/cycles lost on the colours DLIs)?

?

Edited by José Pereira

Hi.

Sprites looking for those different possibilities later on... but for today here's the Loading screen in usual Bitmap mode and no DLIs but some more luminances using the PMGs (in a similar to what I already did and you can see on the A8 version of Skool Daze).

-> so PFs only:

1734160446_Loadingscreen_PFsonly.png.330114d855d516eb724f6a9ac63e0f27.png

-> and PMGs only:

1189685335_Loadingscreen_PMGsonly.png.50d21dde78804017c4dc6870fd864174.png

And we get this:

253495341_Loadingscreen.png.e0d7788f586498a976a7f61dad5a7840.png

I'm here using blue colour_7 because is the one I like more (on skool Daze I choose a brown because it had more to do with the furniture and wood grounds old school idea me/we usually have) but there's a nice effect that could be done that is like many games did on the past is having a blinking effect while loading (just changing PF2 and PF3 more the 4Players though on the past were only the PFs on letters, that change).

This way it'll look like this (here not with the side borders just because on G2F and in 32Bytes wide mode we can't have them and didn't though at first to put screen is 40Bytes to at least have some part of them but you get the idea):

_All.gif.8c1fa59745577d218f1d9c2ad2c14643.gif

Sadly no one here contacted me untill now ?.

?

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 3

Having 2guys PMGs multicolour per line than other stuff moving around like it happens on certain screens as soft sprites (so have BAK_black, PF0_red and PF1_yellow common on all in-game scanlines):

150753560_extra_lire_fichier_1WITHSTUFFand2GUYS_PMGs.png.f402b0389e43847787dd1852f35c1829.png

(Total colours on-screen by now are 29)

The guys can have many colours across their bodies using DLIs (like are common on Activision old titles and in Callisto shoot'em'up game)...

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 8