IGNORED

Tiny-99/4A v2 prototypes trade

fabrice montupet

The Tiny-99/4A v2 computer is finalized, its PCB is arrived to its last version: v2.6.  I will plan to order a first batch of v2.6 PCB (5 units) in some next weeks.
For my own needs, I have assembled two TIny-99/4A v2 based on the PCB v2.3. It is the one that you can see on my website, here:

http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article138/tiny-99-4a-v2

Two other v2.3 motherboards have been also assembled, they all works fine. I used them for some software compatibility tests but, now, I won't have any use for them, so I decided to propose them in exchange for Texas Instruments TI-99/xx prototypes (only). These two TIny-99/4A v2.3 motherboards have the S/N: 002  and 003 (I kept the S/N: 001 and 004).  Maybe someone could be interested in them?
Some notes:
- The differences between v2.3 and v2.6 are minor. All of them have the same behavior and the same features.
- Each motherboard is equiped with a SAM RAM of 1MB
- The VDP installed can be a TMS-9918A or a TMS-9929A, on your choice.
- Just only 4 TMS5200 remains in in my stock and due to some difficulties to get this speech IC,  the two motherboards will be delivered without the IC. You could use the one inside a Speech Synthesizer.

tiny994av2-couv.jpg

Edited by fabrice montupet
add picture
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Il computer Tiny-99 / 4A v2 è finalizzato, il suo PCB è arrivato all'ultima versione: v2.6. Pianificherò di ordinare un primo lotto di PCB v2.6 (5 unità) nelle prossime settimane.
Per le mie esigenze, ho assemblato due TIny-99 / 4A v2 basati sul PCB v2.3. È quello che puoi vedere sul mio sito Web, qui:

http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article138/tiny-99-4a-v2

Sono state assemblate anche altre due schede madri v2.3, tutte perfettamente funzionanti. Li ho usati per alcuni test di compatibilità del software ma, ora, non li userò, quindi ho deciso di proporli in cambio dei prototipi TI-99 / xx di Texas Instruments (solo). Queste due schede madri TIny-99 / 4A v2.3 hanno gli S / N: 002 e 003 (ho tenuto gli S / N: 001 e 004). Forse qualcuno potrebbe essere interessato a loro?
Alcune note:
- Le differenze tra v2.3 e v2.6 sono minori. Tutti hanno lo stesso comportamento e le stesse caratteristiche.
- Ogni scheda madre è dotata di una RAM SAM di 1 MB
- Il VDP installato può essere un TMS-9918A o un TMS-9929A, a scelta.
- Nel mio magazzino sono rimasti solo 4 TMS5200 e, a causa di alcune difficoltà nell'ottenere questo discorso IC, le due schede madri verranno consegnate senza IC. È possibile utilizzare quello all'interno di un sintetizzatore vocale.

tiny994av2-couv.jpg

The arrangement of the components is excellent, how long did you use to optimize the components on the pcb?

Another thing about the pcb, does it have 2 layers or more?

Edited by fabrizio
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is the video F18A or higher graphics, like more sprites? If not, im walking..

it might be cute, but I'm looking for for an upgrade which will produce better games etc...if so I'm all in!!!

You should go to my page to get the spectifications of the computer. It has a TMS-9918/28/29A  VDP installed

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is the video F18A or higher graphics, like more sprites? If not, im walking..

it might be cute, but I'm looking for for an upgrade which will produce better games etc...if so I'm all in!!!

I'd love to get one, but I'm financially locked into another path.   I will say though, it's kind of hard for the someone to include something that's not available yet, like the F18A MK2 or the F18A that he does not have the rights to.  Now the IC is socketed, so a guy could easily plug one in at a later time when one is available.  

Also, from what I've learned about Fabrice over the years, I do not believe including one would have followed his normal design philosophy.  The man, in this venture is staying true to himself, and you have to respect that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

What about a standard onboard RS232 ? Would be nice not to lose 1 Slot for it,

and not to be in the duty to have the big PEB-card and wild cabling on the Tiny system :)

And if it is there as a standard, more people would do something with it...

Maybe there is the some place on the board left for it ?

Yes, a serial port is good idea. At a time during development, I had the idea to integrate a RS232C port, alas there is not enough room on the motherboard for that. Since the beginning of the project, I don't want neither to increase the size of the PCB nor to use modern IC to reduce the set of necessary IC. And even if I decided to remove one expansion slot, it will not be enough.  The integration of the present features has already been a traces puzzle on the PCB layers.
The lack of a serial port on the computer will be surely my biggest regret.

• Like 1

oooh I just saw this video on Youtube, with the lightning Mini Tower Housing. Wonderful ?

So there, with such a tower housing, there is no (optical) problem with big PEB-cards or their cables  (what I wrote here before)

bus I only remember another, smaller housing some months ago, somewhere here around

(Sorry I cannot find the main topic for the Tiny-one here on AtariAge, the search does not deliver it to me)

This tower / video:

• Like 1

You're right, there where also a "pizza box" ? It was for the very first TIny-99/4A, the version 1:

tiny994a-6.jpg

Or maybe this variant?

http://www.ti99.com/ti/data/images/tiny994a/tiny994a_interne.mp4

This model, while functioning, is abandoned, it has one expansion slot, has no SAMS expansion and no RTC embedded. It has also no GROM 0,1,2 simulator too. For it, I made a 90 degrees 2 slots riser.

Although the version 2 (and 3) has 3 integrated expansion slots, it is also possible to install this 90 degrees 2 slots riser permitting to use a smaller case.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 4

This tool is really fun for little PCB ?  Of course it is limited to low density components PCB with single layer or max 2 layers.

Some design information about my PCB:

Layers : 4

Witdh: 218.4mm / Height: 252.5mm

Pins: 2097 (for 402 patterns)

Lengh of traces: 47.543 meters

Networks: 402

Number of holes: 2774 with 671 Vias.

• Like 3

Cool, but 3 to 4 grand for small double-sided boards limits the market. Neat for quick and clean prototyping and easily supporting SMC, but you could do just as much as quick with a perfboard or breadboard. In as many layers as needed, just add more jumper wires. Or use traditional PCB methods of photoresist and etching.

If you're going into production after prototyping, create a Gerber/whatever flavor file -also needed to run the Voltera- and outsource the pcb-making.

Fabrice's creation far outstrips the Voltera's ability.drink.gif.d0ccb6166d233341f2db670be81ccdfe.gif

• Like 1