IGNORED

Tempest 5200

classicgamer74

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, Tempest said:

No because there isn't one.  It would have ported after the 5200 version was finished.

I don’t understand.

If that’s true, then how did Video 61 use the Atari 400/800 Tempest proto as the foundation to build Tempest Extreme if there wasn’t one?

7 minutes ago, Supergun said:

I don’t understand.

If that’s true, then how did Video 61 use the Atari 400/800 Tempest proto as the foundation to build Tempest Extreme if there wasn’t one?

They didn't.  There is no 400/800 Tempest.  There was the half finished 5200 proto and the finished version that the programmer did.  That's it.  I don't know what they based their version off of, but there's no 8-bit proto.

Ok. So then the Video 61 Tempest Extreme (and subsequently the more recent Tempest Elite) was either built from the Atari 5200 proto and/or was a built from scratch homebrew; but either way, it was NOT built from an Atari 400/800 proto. If so, then I understand now, but I am very disappointed in the manner in which Tempest Extreme was promoted back when they released it. (meaning had I known it was merely a hack of the 5200 proto or worse, a homebrew, I would never have purchased it.

• Confused 1

Tempest Extreme was released about 10 years ago through Video 61; one of 3 big companies (with Best Electronics and B & C Computer Visions being the other 2) that purchased and/or came into stockpiles of old unsold Atari merchandise, such as NOS cartridges, systems & accessories.

Over the years, many unreleased protos were found amongst these boxes of items and subsequently sold to Atari gamers & collectors. Sometimes exclusively by 1 of the 3 companies, other times by all 3.

Now it’s hard for me to go back 10 years and understand exactly how or why, but there is no doubt in my mind that the way that the Tempest game description was “carefully worded”, made it seem like they had found the proto, but that it was buggy & incomplete, and they put together a team to “correct” & “enhance” the game. (kind of like what happened with 2600 Turbo)

And, at the time, nobody else had an Atari 400/800 Tempest proto, at least not to the general public’s knowledge, so purchasing this “hacked” Tempest Extreme was the only way to acquire (or at least indirectly acquire) the proto. It wasn’t made clear that it was an original “homebrew” or “hack of the 5200 proto”.

There isn't an Atari 400/800 proto of Tempest, I don't know how many different ways I can say this. If it was planned for release on the 400/800 (and no documents say it was) then it would have been a port of the 5200 version (this was the common way to do things). Since the 5200 version was cancelled and never completed, no 400/800 version exists.

• Like 1

I know, I totally get it. And I don’t mean at all to be questioning you here. In fact, I’m not! I believe you Matt.

I was merely explaining some of the history of the “extreme” version of the game since he had asked about it.

Since 2009 or so when they released that game, I had been “searching in vain” for the “original” unmodified proto; and in vain of course, because now I know that it never existed! I totally get that now. They either home brewed it from scratch or they merely converted & modified the 5200 version.

Well, if you are buying a patched replica of a game, it isn't the same as owning the original prototype anyway? If it had been me, I would've considered it a homebrew no matter which was the source, in particular if it was mentioned a team of developers had to fix it in order to be playable.

Depending on how large batch they made, the Tempest Extreme game might be collectable anyway, even if is not based on the prototype you thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok. So it’s been awhile. And I’d like to hit this again.

Question 1:

Did anyone ever convert the original Atari 5200 Tempest proto rom into a functional/playable rom for the Atari 400/800 computer line?

Question 2:

Did anyone ever convert the fixed/finished Atari 5200 Tempest rom into a functional/playable rom for the Atari 400/800 computer line?

1 minute ago, Supergun said:

Question 1:

Did anyone ever convert the original Atari 5200 Tempest proto rom into a functional/playable rom for the Atari 400/800 computer line?

Question 2:

Did anyone ever convert the fixed/finished Atari 5200 Tempest rom into a functional/playable rom for the Atari 400/800 computer line?

No and No as far as I know.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, Supergun said:

Question 1:

Question 2:

No on both questions.  Game is unplayable with a digital stick anyway.