IGNORED

Is the Atari 400 Bad to Use?

bluejay

46 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Wish I came across a decent priced one.

Be patient and don't think of retro-computer collecting as a sprint; it's really more of a multi-year marathon. In 2014 and again in 2017, I found 48K 800's in excellent physical condition, and both with some miscellaneous extras like a few common carts or a 410 Program Recorder. I paid $50 for each one and both were local pickups. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Since I got my VIC20, there's no going back now, anf therefore I do not need this thread anymore. Please do not reply anymore(unless you really want to)

Enjoy your VIC-20, man.. it's not without its charm. The keyboard is nice. I just found your 'real computer / 3/4 a computer / half a computer / quarter computer' argument to be very bizarre and misguided. And never say "no going back". Many of us here have collections that include computers from multiple manufacturers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SS said:

This is actually the most interesting thing that has come out of this thread.  

There's something odd about the example images in this page- for example, the Atari 8-bit one has 198 unique colours on display, which is simply not possible in an ANTIC mode E display, even with the use of PMG/sprite colour masking...  unless one 'flickers' alternate frame buffers, which is clearly not the intention here.

13 hours ago, bluejay said:
Edited by drpeter

I read several pages but not all.  So apologies if this has been mentioned already.

On the topic of the TI....TI's "killer app" is, IMHO, the vibrant community here on AtariAge.  TI has great new software and hardware coming out all the time.  I really believe the TI has become a better computer these days because of it.  Especially when you factor in the F18a, TIPI, etc.  Tons and tons of great games.  Plus some great BASIC's that can be compiled to nearly asm speeds in many areas.

As for the A400, I have two of them.  I also have a few 800XL's, couple 600 XL's and even a 1200 XL.  Shoot..I got a 65XE, XEGS and 130XE too.  So I got the wide-range of 8 bit Atari's covered.  My personal favorite is my stock Atari 800 (not XL).  That machine is built like a tank.   Tough as nails and a joy to use.  But if I were to recommend a newbie buy an 8-bit Atari (not counting the 2600), I would recommend the 800XL.  Mainly because it was Atari's flagship Atari.  Even though the 130XE was technically better.  But I can't stand that mushy keyboard.  The 800, 600XL and 800XL have a nice keyboard and the build quality is good on them.

If you're serious about retro collecting, then I really recommend getting the TI *AND* the Atari 800XL.  I mean, why not?  Another great thing about TI is that they are surprisingly affordable.  They are both great game machines...wait...they are computers that play great games.   lol

The TI certainly has its foibles (in spades, actually).  But that's why we love it.

I will say this about the Atari 400, they do look like they belong in an episode of Dr. Who.  Something that screams great 70's/early 80's goodness.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

I read several pages but not all.  So apologies if this has been mentioned already.

On the topic of the TI....TI's "killer app" is, IMHO, the vibrant community here on AtariAge.  TI has great new software and hardware coming out all the time.  I really believe the TI has become a better computer these days because of it.  Especially when you factor in the F18a, TIPI, etc.  Tons and tons of great games.  Plus some great BASIC's that can be compiled to nearly asm speeds in many areas.

As for the A400, I have two of them.  I also have a few 800XL's, couple 600 XL's and even a 1200 XL.  Shoot..I got a 65XE, XEGS and 130XE too.  So I got the wide-range of 8 bit Atari's covered.  My personal favorite is my stock Atari 800 (not XL).  That machine is built like a tank.   Tough as nails and a joy to use.  But if I were to recommend a newbie buy an 8-bit Atari (not counting the 2600), I would recommend the 800XL.  Mainly because it was Atari's flagship Atari.  Even though the 130XE was technically better.  But I can't stand that mushy keyboard.  The 800, 600XL and 800XL have a nice keyboard and the build quality is good on them.

If you're serious about retro collecting, then I really recommend getting the TI *AND* the Atari 800XL.  I mean, why not?  Another great thing about TI is that they are surprisingly affordable.  They are both great game machines...wait...they are computers that play great games.   lol

The TI certainly has its foibles (in spades, actually).  But that's why we love it.

I will say this about the Atari 400, they do look like they belong in an episode of Dr. Who.  Something that screams great 70's/early 80's goodness.

You see, I don't have the money to buy both the 400 and the TI. I couldn't find an A800 in the wild, and eBay prices are a bit too much. And, by now, I spent my money on a VIC-20, so all this is over now.

10 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

Given Dr. Who's budgets at that time and its place of origin, a ZX80 or ZX81 might be more appropriate ?

• Haha 3

Once I can get hold of a reasonably priced Atari 400 (preferably upgraded in various ways) - I would go for an Atari 600XL (and have that upgraded too) - which has an excellent keyboard.

I only have a 800XL for testing purposes.  But back in the day - I went through an Atari 800, 800XL, 600XL and 130XE.  I probably won't go for a 130XE again - because I'm no real fan of it's keyboard.

I don't think I would ever want a Vic-20 - as a reminder of how bad it was/is.  I wouldn't mind going for a C-64 - if I come across one in good working order - for a reasonable price.  I'm not impressed enough by the TI-99/4a hardware to want to get one.

I did work on the graphics for AtariBlast!  In which I did revisit the graphics I've done previously for Laser Hawk and HawkQuest - I revisited the graphics of other games to pay some homage to them - Blue Max, Zaxxon, Scramble and others...  And of course - the infamous Atari Robot and Spaceship demo - by blowing up the Atari Robot - and I liked how some videonut made some funny videos using Atari game graphics - and there's a little bit of that done as well.  No other game has included some many different graphics modes within the one game - especially modes 9, 10 and 11.

Harvey