IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

On 10/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Omegamatrix said:

Kaboom! has been modified for the PlusCart High Score Club. Many thanks to @DEBRO for his disassembly of Kaboom!
PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL, PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The NTSC version can be played online in javatari.js. The ROM-file can also be played with Gopher2600.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Kaboom!:

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=19

Kaboom.png.1aaf7062b145ef2954539b43ffedb3b8.png

I am finally patch worthy.?

6A1EAD68-D41F-4AA5-8663-1ADB9B929DCA.jpeg

• Like 7

I was recently helping someone set up a PlusCart running FW 0.15, and we had a problem with the Wi-Fi setup menu.

He has a newish "smart" LCD TV that does not process 240p signals correctly (completely garbling, and making unreadable, the Harmony cart menu, for example), and thus has his 2600 connected to his TV via a RetroTink Pro scaler.

The PlusCart ran fine and looked good on screen, but whenever we tried going into the Wi-Fi setup menu the TV would lose the video signal.

When he removed the RetroTink from the video chain, an image came onscreen, and he was able to work through the setup menus.

I think what was happening could be the same thing described here.

The RetroTink appears to be picky about non-standard video frames. Is the Wi-Fi setup menu different than all the other menu screens? Or could something else be happening here? He has never lost video elsewhere using the PlusCart, but clicking that button will unfailingly force a reset when using a RetroTink.

Edited by spspspsp

1 hour ago, spspspsp said:

I was recently helping someone set up a PlusCart running FW 0.15, and we had a problem with the Wi-Fi setup menu.

He has a newish "smart" LCD TV that does not process 240p signals correctly (completely garbling, and making unreadable, the Harmony cart menu, for example), and thus has his 2600 connected to his TV via a RetroTink Pro scaler.

The PlusCart ran fine and looked good on screen, but whenever we tried going into the Wi-Fi setup menu the TV would lose the video signal.

When he removed the RetroTink from the video chain, an image came onscreen, and he was able to work through the setup menus.

The RetroTink appears to be picky about non-standard video frames. Is the Wi-Fi setup menu different than all the other menu screens? Or could something else be happening here? He has never lost video elsewhere using the PlusCart, but clicking that button will unfailingly force a reset when using a RetroTink.

Essentially the same code is running all the menu screens -- just with different text.

I know of nothing special about the Wi-Fi setup screen that would cause differences.

Except, perhaps, there is a bit of a delay while the WiFi stations in the area are detected.

Another way of putting that -- not a bad frame, but odd delays between frames. Perhaps that's what's causing the issue?

3 hours ago, spspspsp said:

When exactly did the screen lose signal? Before or after the list to select your WiFi network?

13 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

When exactly did the screen lose signal? Before or after the list to select your WiFi network?

Before the list. It cut out as soon as entering the setup menu.

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Essentially the same code is running all the menu screens -- just with different text.

I know of nothing special about the Wi-Fi setup screen that would cause differences.

Except, perhaps, there is a bit of a delay while the WiFi stations in the area are detected.

Another way of putting that -- not a bad frame, but odd delays between frames. Perhaps that's what's causing the issue?

I also suspected this. The video signal never comes back, so if this is the case, the small delay must be present on a significant percentage of frames--at least enough frames such that the scaler cannot complete an HDMI handshake with the TV after the initial drop.

It isn't a critical issue, but I was wondering about what could be causing it, and people using a scaler may need to watch for this.

17 minutes ago, spspspsp said:

Before the list. It cut out as soon as entering the setup menu.

I also suspected this. The video signal never comes back, so if this is the case, the small delay must be present on a significant percentage of frames--at least enough frames such that the scaler cannot complete an HDMI handshake with the TV after the initial drop.

It isn't a critical issue, but I was wondering about what could be causing it, and people using a scaler may need to watch for this.

Should be fixable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spspspsp said:

The video signal never comes back, so if this is the case, the small delay must be present on a significant percentage of frames--at least enough frames such that the scaler cannot complete an HDMI handshake with the TV after the initial drop.

I've had to set my Framemeister to the most tolerant setting in the case of frame irregularities in some games. If I have it set to the lowest setting, even a frame or two will drop the video signal similar to what you're experiencing with the RetroTink.

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

Awesome. My Plus+ arrived today. It's the barebone pre programmed board - the only available as the rest were sold out with popularity. So I need a shell.

I only have four 2600 carts (yes, it can happen) Salu Hero/Acid Drop plus Xenophobe and Warlords. I'm not sure the Salu ones can be used and I'd rather not butcher the other two.

I have two 7800 games (and no longer own a 7800) so would be happy to harvest either for the purpose. Can they work? Maybe have to modify?  Or perhaps people know if cheap shells available in the UK somewhere.

Edited by Darien

1 hour ago, Darien said:

Awesome. My Plus+ arrived today. It's the barebone pre programmed board - the only available as the rest were sold out with popularity. So I need a shell.

I only have four 2600 carts (yes, it can happen) Salu Hero/Acid Drop plus Xenophobe and Warlords. I'm not sure the Salu ones can be used and I'd rather not butcher the other two.

I have two 7800 games (and no longer own a 7800) so would be happy to harvest either for the purpose. Can they work? Maybe have to modify?  Or perhaps people know if cheap shells available in the UK somewhere.

I am not sure if the Activision (Salu) cartridges can be used. I have found some Atari 2600 games that seemed to be in 7800 cartridges. They are internally the same than the Atari 2600 except for the dust cover. So the PlusCart will fit in there, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I think you should buy a defect/cheap Atari 2600 cart on ebay (e.g. Combat or Asteroids) and while you wait for the the cart to arrive, you can use the PlusCart without the case.

1 hour ago, Darien said:

You don't need a sheel for the PlusCart to work.  It works just fine bare-board.

However if you really want a shell, I'd wait until I found a suitable (i.e., cheap) donor cartridge, or get one 3D printed.

• Like 1

Hello all:  I received my PlusCart today, and have a question.  I'm using a 7800, but I can't seem to get the reset button to work correctly.  On those games that require me to push the reset button to start -- I cannot start.  Pressing reset just takes me back to the PlusCart menu.  The manual says that should only happen if I press "right" and "reset" at the same time.  But I'm not pressing right.

Is this an issue with the 7800? 

21 minutes ago, RickR said:

Hello all:  I received my PlusCart today, and have a question.  I'm using a 7800, but I can't seem to get the reset button to work correctly.  On those games that require me to push the reset button to start -- I cannot start.  Pressing reset just takes me back to the PlusCart menu.  The manual says that should only happen if I press "right" and "reset" at the same time.  But I'm not pressing right.

Is this an issue with the 7800? 

Which games have you tested so far?

10 minutes ago, RickR said:

For now, all I remember is "Mission 3000 AD" and the River Raid HSC.  I shall make a more comprehensive list.

I have just tested "Mission 300 AD" with my 7800 and it worked fine.

You might try to unplug your joystick before you load the game (you can use Reset in the menu to load a game)

4 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I have just tested "Mission 300 AD" with my 7800 and it worked fine.

You might try to unplug your joystick before you load the game (you can use Reset in the menu to load a game)

I tried the following, and the reset button always takes me back to the menu.

- No joystick plugged in. 

- 7800 2 button joystick plugged in

- single button joystick plugged in

My 7800 is of the newer type with no enhancement port on the side, if that makes any difference. 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I tried the following, and the reset button always takes me back to the menu.

- No joystick plugged in. 

- 7800 2 button joystick plugged in

- single button joystick plugged in

My 7800 is of the newer type with no enhancement port on the side, if that makes any difference. 

I have opened a bug report (and sent you an invitation) at the PlusCart beta tester club:

• Like 1

Screenshots of your high scores can now be uploaded to the PlusROM High Score Club (currently only by the admins), so if you have a screenshot of you score to upload send a PM to @Al_Nafuur or @Omegamatrix.

Please send only scores that are at least in the top ten of that game/variation or patch worthy