IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

1 minute ago, Gemintronic said:

Now I have to figure out how to set up that Cloud thing and hunt down some example code.

You don't need the Nextcloud thing. It's just convenient for getting your own ROMs onto the PlusCart.

The PlusCart provides pretty much every available ROM already, via the PlusStore.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

You don't need the Nextcloud thing. It's just convenient for getting your own ROMs onto the PlusCart.

The PlusCart provides pretty much every available ROM already, via the PlusStore.

The dream is to keep things as local as possible.  Including figuring out how to send and receive level data.

I'm stubborn and slow.  So, it should take awhile.  :)

16 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

The dream is to keep things as local as possible.  Including figuring out how to send and receive level data.

PlusROM docs (when I have some time left I will add the docs to @Andrew Davie's Technical Tiki ) :
http://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?PlusROM

You can find some example code for sending and receiving data from you internet backend here:

https://gitlab.com/firmaplus/atari-2600-pluscart/-/tree/master/examples

(ASM code for your ROM and PHP code for the backend).

Also Andrew Davie has loaded level data from an internet DB in one version of Sokoboo:

https://github.com/andrew-davie/Sokoboo

(look for the PLUSCART switch)

17 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I'm stubborn and slow.  So, it should take awhile.  :)

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you spot the glow-in-the-dark PlusCart?

IMG20210311020546.thumb.jpg.d30c3d3ee5ff5a95bfe4806c1746e1b3.jpg

This was a test-print for @Gemintronic's prize cart. It came out pretty well.

The photo was taken in darkness about 30 seconds after (close-ish) exposure to the ceiling light for about 5 seconds. Yes, it is this bright to the naked eye, too. But it fades fairly rapidly in intensity. Generally though it's still visible/findable after a couple of minutes. Pretty cool stuff. Normally I don't print with this, for several reasons. Firstly, I only have the one roll and it's expensive and hard to source. Secondly, it's extremely abrasive to the print nozzle so it damages my printer to some degree.  But still -- the result is worth it, I think.

Here it is in normal light...

IMG20210311020815.thumb.jpg.d226b2ca0fc245e327de197eb9dea6b5.jpg

In case anyone asks... I'm not really wanting to print one for you but if you do want one you're going to have to cover the cost of me getting a new roll of filament. So think "expensive".  Maybe this will be the only one.  Signed (by request), too!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Can you spot the glow-in-the-dark PlusCart?

IMG20210311020546.thumb.jpg.d30c3d3ee5ff5a95bfe4806c1746e1b3.jpg

This was a test-print for @Gemintronic's prize cart. It came out pretty well.

The photo was taken in darkness about 30 seconds after (close-ish) exposure to the ceiling light for about 5 seconds. Yes, it is this bright to the naked eye, too. But it fades fairly rapidly in intensity. Generally though it's still visible/findable after a couple of minutes. Pretty cool stuff. Normally I don't print with this, for several reasons. Firstly, I only have the one roll and it's expensive and hard to source. Secondly, it's extremely abrasive to the print nozzle so it damages my printer to some degree.  But still -- the result is worth it, I think.

Here it is in normal light...

IMG20210311020815.thumb.jpg.d226b2ca0fc245e327de197eb9dea6b5.jpg

In case anyone asks... I'm not really wanting to print one for you but if you do want one you're going to have to cover the cost of me getting a new roll of filament. So think "expensive".  Maybe this will be the only one.  Signed (by request), too!

Way cool!  Maybe I should have left my 'hat in the ring'.?  Congrats again @Gemintronic I would have asked for a signed copy as well.

• Like 1

Anybody in the USA need a 3d printed shell for their PlusCart?

I have one of the "official" PlusCart Store shells you can have for the price of shipping $4.80

Shoot me a PM if interested

I am going in to the post office in the morning to mail out some USA PlusCart orders.

IMG_20210310_185004350_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Anybody in the USA need a 3d printed shell for their PlusCart?

I have one of the "official" PlusCart Store shells you can have for the price of shipping $4.80

Shoot me a PM if interested

I am going in to the post office in the morning to mail out some USA PlusCart orders.

PM incoming. 

While, in principle, it is possible to make the (+) glow - I printed one last night - in practise it is much more difficult. The amount of glowing material is only two layers (0.4 mm) thick, so it's barely visible. The option to make it thicker is complex. Currently to get the two-colour print on a one-colour machine, the shell is printed in two passes. First the (+) is laid down, then left on the bed. The filament is changed, and the rest of the shell is printed around the (+). This works because with 0.4 mm there's (just) sufficient clearance from the print nozzle so that it doesn't get snagged on the (+) that's aready there.  To make the (+) thicker, for example the whole thickness of the shell wall (2.0 mm) would require effectively printing 5 passes of (+)/shell (each 0.4 mm). This would mean slicing the object into 0.4 mm strips, and swapping filament twice for each strip. A total of 10 or so swaps to print the whole thing. Given that swapping filament isn't exactly the speediest of tasks, manual labour on printing one of these would be at least a half hour. I might do one sometime, just for "fun". But no way is this going to be a rational thing to do on a one-colour printer.

• Like 2

I have found a solution I think will work. It also makes the whole printing thing MUCH easier....

IMG20210311220812.thumb.jpg.3d5497bd117f8ae184f60c498b078b7f.jpg

Still have to make sure there's room inside for that little "base", but basically with this design I can now print the logo completely independently of the shell, so logo colour can be a choice made later, and also I don't have tolerance issues or "bleeding" of the colours together. Better still, the logo can be slightly raised from the cart surface, so that should look nice.  And there's a little bit of surface texture on the top of the squares, which is actually quite nice. There's now much more material (2.4 mm vs. 0.4 mm) for the glow-in-the-dark stuff to do its magic, too. I can vary the tolerance of the "hole" in the shell that this will press-fit into, so should be good. Will show a finished one tomorrow.

Edit: I wasn't clear. I print this and the shell separately. The shell has holes where the squares are. I push this from behind/inside the shell so the squares go through the holes, and appear on the surface (or just raised above) of the shell. So it will look the same as before, but a bit more 3 dimensional, and with better-defined gaps between the squares.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I have found a solution I think will work. It also makes the whole printing thing MUCH easier....

IMG20210311220812.thumb.jpg.3d5497bd117f8ae184f60c498b078b7f.jpg

Still have to make sure there's room inside for that little "base", but basically with this design I can now print the logo completely independently of the shell, so logo colour can be a choice made later, and also I don't have tolerance issues or "bleeding" of the colours together. Better still, the logo can be slightly raised from the cart surface, so that should look nice.  And there's a little bit of surface texture on the top of the squares, which is actually quite nice. There's now much more material (2.4 mm vs. 0.4 mm) for the glow-in-the-dark stuff to do its magic, too. I can vary the tolerance of the "hole" in the shell that this will press-fit into, so should be good. Will show a finished one tomorrow.

Edit: I wasn't clear. I print this and the shell separately. The shell has holes where the squares are. I push this from behind/inside the shell so the squares go through the holes, and appear on the surface (or just raised above) of the shell. So it will look the same as before, but a bit more 3 dimensional, and with better-defined gaps between the squares.

This would be fantastic, because printing the parts with a 3D printing service would also be much easier..

4 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

Couldn't you just print the shell with a matching indentation on the inside?

Not sure what you mean. The printer is one-colour-only.

Here is what the new shell looks like...

444914540_ScreenShot2021-03-11at10_39_33pm.thumb.png.437e0cd0f2ee06c9a797ce9de4486b1e.png

I'll put that "plate" shown above so that the squares poke through the holes, shown here, and poke out the other side.

It will look identical as before, but the squares will be "cleaner" and poke up a little bit (if I want).

It's just a lot lot easier to print, and will allow the glow-in-the-dark to work - I think.

• Like 2

Just now, alex_79 said:

Yes. that's what I meant.:)

Got it, yes.  Well, yes that's what I'll do if there's not enough room (an extra 0.4 mm) for the "base" I've added.

But I eyeballed it beforehand, and I think it won't be necessary. Having said that, it might be a good idea to do it anyway.

• Like 2

Well, the first proto worked just fine and it's gorgeous.

Looks like I have a bit of room on the tolerance, that I can reduce, but basically easy-as.

This will make getting these printed 10x easier and much much cheaper. And super-easy to assemble.

Look at that beautiful texture on the last frame of the video, above!

IMG20210312002733.thumb.jpg.ba8d89fe94958c5b06b2d2627266d762.jpg

• Like 5