IGNORED

Help wanted' custom joystick builder

tripletopper

I guess since the rule id clear for physical gooids tgat tgr one who actuall has sonething is given priority.  But if a person is "fishibg" this considered s "wantef" post.

The rule for labor is unclear.  Woi has the "the actual good" and who is fishing? The service seeker, or the job seeker?

I just posted in both, hooe the rule for labor gets clarified. And know i get erased on place and posted in the other.

So...

hello.

In addition to buy sell and trade, would "help wanted" and "looking for individual work" be considered eligible for this category?  If not, mods please chop off the rest and paste it in the correct category.

Otherwise...

I'm looking for someone to help build my joystick.  I've been looking for a great joystick ever since Genesis went to six buttons,  Mailny because ever since they did, no one made an ambidextrous joystick.  Literally the last two system authorized ambidextrous sticks were the Beeshu Turbografx 16 Superstick, and the Beeshu Genesis Gizmo.

I tried shoryuken.com.  But the most vocal people on there were very anti right-handed stick.

I understand the argument in Polo where a lefty and  righty challenging for the ball on opposite teams have their horses literally running  into each other and then all bets are off.

But let's look at the opposite case miniature golf: Ever since courses in the seventies and eighties switched from single handed putters to ambis, there is no wait at the clubhouse,. And you don't have to go back to the clubhouse to switch hands if a left-handed normal shot is easier than an acrobatic right-handed one or vice versa.

In a mini golf tournament I organized in the third year the rules were you can bring your own putter but I made it limit one club per person.  someone showed up with a right-handed putter and had a very weird left-handed shot.  

I gave a case where conforming people to a standard is for the better good, as well as conforming standards to different handed people.

As wacky as some people think the intellivision, ColecoVision, Arcadia 2001, Atari 5200, and Bally Astrocade controllers were, the good thing that was true of all of them as they were all naturally ambidextrous.  

And the Atari 2600 had plenty of Lefty solutions,. Third-party Joysticks with buttons on both sides, pin swapping Lefty adapters, and even some games on the Atari 800 had software-based swapping where pressing L switches player one to left handed, and shift L for player 2.  Repeating sets it back to right hand.  And to make it a lefty,  just rotate a standard 2600 controller 90 degrees clockwise.

first I'd like to say my previous guy did a good job work with ship in 2007 when Street Fighter 4 came out and should still work just as good that now accept modified to work with more systems in.  He just made it to work on all Paradise Cthulhu pcbs, as well as finally understanding my full idea behind an ambidextrous stick. 

If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars for a custom ambidextrous stick, then gosh darn it I might as well spend a few more to make it work with all my systems from the Atari 2600 to the Xbox One and switch as well as future-proofing it assuming most fighting games don't go like Super Smash Brothers, requiring analog controls.  the principles electronics and mechanics all work the same for every generation,. so why not save money and reuse parts when possible?

We kind of had a falling-out because of a misunderstanding, but it was purely business nothing personal,. Just a miscommunication between us.

No I am self-aware the fact that I have unusual criteria at least compared to SRK normals.  Hopefully atariage joystick makers are more understanding.

Another problem I'm aware of is that I kind of know what I want in certain things and for the rest I leave to best practices according to the person I hire.  the problem was me and my other guy had to negotiate for a month to understand if a you could figure it out and be if it was scientifically possible to do so.

Hopefully within a week you'll see my results of what we did after this point on my website sinistersticks.com. the name is a double entendre, both play off the Latin for left-handed, sinister, as well as evoking cheat sticks like wicked controllers and evil controllers.

But unlike Wicked Controllers and Evil Controllers, it's considered a legal layout for anything in the fighting game community,  at least implicitly, and probably any video game tournament well you don't have to use stock controllers but must electronically be equal to stock controllers.  The obvious gray area being the Atari 5200,  kind of like Hitbox kind of forced organizers to come up with new sets of rules for fighting ganes about  simultaneous opposite cardinal directions.  But an activation decathlon and track and field socd scrubbers would be a handicap not an advantage.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, tripletopper said:

Sorry. When you're very specific, you tend to be wordy.   I'lll try to organize it better by tomorrow on sinistersticks.com

Please note that I am not saying the following to be antagonistic, or a jerk:

From reading your posts, I do not understand what exactly it is that you are seeking to accomplish.

by the end of the day today I'll have moved my joystick website to that URL and I'll describe what I have done so far what I want and what still needs to be done.  

I just noticed that most joystick makers only make the mods that adjustments they are acceptable to and usually at most limit use a request to one large request that's not easily understood.

To make an ambidextrous joystick in a way that would be a model for Mass manufacture stick I have to implement a few extra new features,.  And I have to add another way of thinking to use Edladdin's PCB in conjunction with all the other pcbs I could work with it. 

The thing I need next that takes the most cooperation is a telephone operator style 3.5 mm cable system to make any button reprogrammable as any other button because most sold games do not allow button swapping and some games only allows certain button swaps, and when you have more than two buttons it's not as easy as a b / b a switch.  I don't know what game I'll encounter in the future or hitting me in the past play rather be prepared for it than avoid it and come up with it later, which would be more complex and more expensive.

probably the simplest easiest layman's way to do it is probably just connect 13.5 mm cable from side a side B and route the joystick like you are routing telephone calls like an old fashioned telephone operator before direct dial

More details by Monday on sinistersticks.com

Nobody can understand what you mean, @tripletopper:(  

Can you boil it down to something like, "I'd like an Atari CX40 with a button on both sides and works with PCs"?  Or something like that?

If it's not a simple change of a current design, you may be looking at a lot of money.  I'm not an electronics guy, though.

I still say that, if you have such specific ideas about what you want in a joystick, it would be easier for you to learn how to build it yourself than it would be to find someone else who can build it for you to such exacting specifications.

As I've said before ...

On 3/24/2019 at 1:19 AM, jaybird3rd said:

Why not use a project like this as an opportunity to learn something new? Many of us started with electronics, programming, and other related activities because we had a problem that we wanted to solve, but that we didn't yet have the ability to solve. So, we set out to learn to create our own solutions, adding to our enjoyment of the hobby while also building skills which have contributed to our lives and careers in other ways. That's all part of what the classic gaming and computing experience is supposed to be.

[...]

So, instead of posting long laundry lists of the things that you want, how about taking the initiative to make them happen yourself? All the resources you should need are readily available, and there are plenty of people here who can answer specific questions, so you have no excuse not to at least try to break out a breadboard and figure these things out on your own.

46 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Can you boil it down to something like, "I'd like an Atari CX40 with a button on both sides and works with PCs"?  Or something like that?

If it's not a simple change of a current design, you may be looking at a lot of money.  I'm not an electronics guy, though.

I'll need a "telephone ooerator switchboard" with 3.5 mm females attached to db37s connected to the 3.5s in an organized way.   The purpose is a raw input rerouter. 

I'll provide the connectors of db37 ,3.5 female solderables, and 3 5 mm male to 3 5 mm male cable.

Its purpose is to be a button remapping system for games that dob't have them in software, or in OS.

28 minutes ago, tripletopper said:

I'll need a "telephone ooerator switchboard" with 3.5 mm females attached to db37s connected to the 3.5s in an organized way.   The purpose is a raw input rerouter. 

I'll provide the connectors of db37 ,3.5 female solderables, and 3 5 mm male to 3 5 mm male cable.

Its purpose is to be a button remapping system for games that dob't have them in software, or in OS.

Take a look at the X-Arcade Tankstick.  What you're describing could easily be done by modifying one, and they're easy to open up and work on.

Maybe I'm better visually than typographically.   I am good when I speak, sometimes, to certain people.

Let's hope Atariage accepts PDFs.   Thihs is the main picture

By the way, what you need to know is that tis goes in between my uncoded joystick and my PCB, whihc normally connect with DB37s.

These devices go in between.

ANd I'm assuming the extra wiring is so it can be inverted for left and right handed play.

The contraption is a Controller remapping device:

3BoxesConnected.pdf AudioWiringLeft.pdf AudioWiringRight.pdf FightStick.pdf

Those PDF's just show the layout you want and not much else. They won't help make it happen any easier I'm sorry to say. That fightstick pdf would not work as you think it can. You need something to drive all those different configurations for different systems. For those that don't want to open his PDF's:

1223618323_morenonsense.thumb.png.e2ed3b3aca8ec52ccdb7b8aaa7001b77.png

nonsense.thumb.png.6f476ed9d2b8d698ea8b5934c271e632.png

On 10/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

Did you look at the audio wiring?  Those 2 files show what pins are wired to the L and R of 3.5mm females.    Look at those ti see what db37 pins are wired to what 3.5 mm females.

It goes from db37 controller to 3 5 mn female (but only one of the 2 ends, sort of like a y adapter g8ving you a M/F choice of SVideo, abd my capture card working with a y vuy only one end beung used ). Ti 3.5 mm m&m ehich are plugged into either the keypad adapter, or the output end, which is 3.5mm female, then runs unto pins of db37 and then connect to the joystick PCB.

Tge audio left is the hookup for the left stick arrangement, and the right file shows right joystick.

I'll need a "telephone ooerator switchboard"

Here's one on ebay:

rgPbrt.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.  

So do you envision 3 separate enclosures

1 - Joystick housing

2 - Wire connecting "switchboard" housing

3 - Control PCBs housing

or is this all housed in one unit?

Did you look at the audio wiring?  Those 2 files show what pins are wired to the L and R of 3.5mm females.    Look at those ti see what db37 pins are wired to what 3.5 mm females.

It goes from db37 controller to 3 5 mn female (but only one of the 2 ends, sort of like a y adapter g8ving you a M/F choice of SVideo, abd my capture card working with a y vuy only one end beung used ). Ti 3.5 mm m&m ehich are plugged into either the keypad adapter, or the output end, which is 3.5mm female, then runs unto pins of db37 and then connect to the joystick PCB.

Tge audio left is the hookup for the left stick arrangement, and the right file shows right joystick.

Again, I'm sorry to say but you really don't understand AT ALL what is involved in executing what you envision. You are drawing and typing out total non-sense compared to the reality of what is involved. You are better off to just stop and accept you don't know what you are doing or talking about. I understand what your idea is here but it's so much more complicated than you are able to understand. That is measurable from everything you have ever said on the topic. The cost involved to build what you want would also be very high. I will ask how much money you are offering for this to become a reality as a wide open pocket book needs to be at the ready for anyone to even consider this fantasy controller.

I agree with Shawn.  There are some of the OP posts that are almost nonsensical and incoherent, and/or full of typos...yet some seem fine.  But I understand that you want a controller with a joystick and x number of buttons.  You then want to have a "magic" box which would contain a hacked PCB of each of the different controllers you would want to replace for every system you would want to use it with (or some other type of magic electronics).  Then you connect cables from input devices to controller port outputs so that any input can be any output for any controller/system.  I think this would be a very "messy" controller/design, and assume your cost would be in the neighborhood of $500-$1000+ depending on components used and assuming you can find someone who would have any interest in this project.  Out of curiosity, why the aversion to separate controllers for separate systems?  

3 hours ago, doubledown said:

I agree with Shawn.  There are some of the OP posts that are almost nonsensical and incoherent, and/or full of typos...yet some seem fine.  But I understand that you want a controller with a joystick and x number of buttons.  You then want to have a "magic" box which would contain a hacked PCB of each of the different controllers you would want to replace for every system you would want to use it with (or some other type of magic electronics).  Then you connect cables from input devices to controller port outputs so that any input can be any output for any controller/system.  I think this would be a very "messy" controller/design, and assume your cost would be in the neighborhood of $500-$1000+ depending on components used and assuming you can find someone who would have any interest in this project.  Out of curiosity, why the aversion to separate controllers for separate systems?  

First, i saved lots of money by

a) using a Paradise Cthulhu, and appropriate adapters directly.

b) Since a Cthulhu is electronically equivalent to the original controller, i can do ps2> 360, wii/u classic, xbox one plus gc>n64, and snes>3do, and ps3> wii u/switch classic.  You get one translation for free before worrying about side effects 

That part us already done.

The middle box is for INTV, CV, 5200 and Jag.  If i want a fight stick button to equal a particular key.

By the wY i have 20+ 3.5 mm m/m cables and 100 3.5mn solderable femaies and many db37s i can send.

The joystick and cthulhu already hoiked up to each other with a db37 for both hands.

Thr reason i need remapping is thar as a right handed gamer. Too nany gsmes are not built for righties, and conversion are different for each gane.

The keypad just needs to run out using a 16+ pin standard, and be dealt with on a system by system basis.  

3breasons for uding thd same style over and ovet.

1) digital joysticks don't vary between systens when you padhack.

2) it's easier to carry abd cheaper oer console for a compobent system. .. if i can make ut s breeze to change.

u3)using the same joystick parts is easy as long as, from the joystick's perspective, you rewire before the raw signals are encoded by a pcb.... Better than dealing with coded signals, which need computer code understanding.

The newest systems  that needs a padhacks atr Jaguar and Genesis 6 and 3 button.  All other's sydtems are older.

This is probably the most complex.  I also hsve a Edladdin CVSAC PCB.  And the INTV and 5200 use 2 pins combonations out of 7/8 for row and column, anc i asume normal vontroller logic for button matrisies is OR logic.  And the INTV Is in krypsf mode for obe frame when exactly 1 of the 3 fire button pibs are used.

So one more time.  The joystick.the most important pcb, and the wiring system all work.  You don't need to do that.  All the rest i'm asking for one at a time.  The next main thing i need is a joystick remapping system as described.

8 hours ago, doubledown said:

Here's one on ebay:

rgPbrt.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist.  

So do you envision 3 separate enclosures

1 - Joystick housing

2 - Wire connecting "switchboard" housing

3 - Control PCBs housing

or is this all housed in one unit?

1 there's a joystick and a pcb housing that's required, and already done by Stan my man. 

2. An optional housing are 2 "single joystick" boxes that can be arranged in 2 ways, for lefty and rightie play.  This should only used if a) the game and b) the operating system are unable to change buttons.

3 telephone operator describes the technology, and is used metaphoricly.  I don't want a reassignment chip because people will accuse me of having a cheat chip, even if i didn't use it.