IGNORED

Help wanted' custom joystick builder

tripletopper

About cheating:

On 10/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

OK, but if you're using any kind of modified controller (such as the one you've described here) in competition, how is that not the same thing?  It doesn't matter if the changes are analogue or digital; it's still modified.

I think you're right.  Here's an example of that very thing from his page:

2. Button reprogrammability
I noticed a problem with the Sega Master System stick. If you had to play a game where you had to rapid fire a fire button, you were rapid firing with the middle finger and if you need access to the other button, it may feel weird. The problem was that for games where you want to have a main button, the one you press often, like fire, you should map where the index finger remains your index finger when the joystick switches hands, which I call "index-to-index". 

So, he's gaming the system--so to speak.  While everyone else is using their middle finger (in his example), he wants to use his forefinger--because it's better.   Then somehow it's okay because it's not done by programming code?
I think there's a fair argument to be made for left-handed controllers, with some 10-12% of the population being soulless lefties.  But custom controllers with button remapping seems a bit sketchier; at least if betting real money.  I think he may subconsciously know this with the crazy amount of specificity he offers.  It's almost like he's over-justifying his decisions.   Of course, this is an opinion and not an accusation.

@tripletopper, if you really want a custom controller then I'd suggest greatly simplifying the project.  Or maybe just do a Google search and buy something like this for £25 + shipping:

left-hand-fighter.jpg

But we're all mostly interested in your current controllers.  

Unless the tournament rules specifies "stock controller only" this is legal.  Fightong gamed on stock controllers suck.    All fighting tournaments discussed on shoryuken.com allows for custom layouts.   Hitboxs are legal for crying out loud ( though it brings up a new issue)

The basic principle  in the fighting game comnunity is that one physical control can only actuate one control.  Hitboxes add a new principle that combinations that are impossible in the original version ( like pressing left and right at the same time in street fighter is illegal but legal in Track N Field. ) Some retro versions assume a standard controller and the code doesn't account for W+E and does weird things when that happens.  Quite a few 5200 games has code that assumes that.

Hitboxes made it possible to press W+E or N+S together. A new product existed just to legalize hitboxes ( and All button controllers, the Hitbox company's name for the category in general, where Hitbox is the leader and originator.  Hitbox has become generic,  like all tissues beung called  Kleenex, even though a tissue could be Puffs) these are called Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Direction ( abbreciated SOCD) prevention devices.

As for the Master System middle finger pumping, this is unique to the right handed mode.  A standard left handed pad lets you index finger pump if the pad is put on the floor.

Besides if I were cheating, would I announce to the net the methods I plan to use?   I mainly bring these up so these "grey areas" can be discussed.  If a person plans to give away Twitch Bits for beating them in literally any game in my collection, the question of honesty cones up.

I know if i do this, do not mentally spend my bits until i earn then back in virtual combat. If i win, consider it a bonus.  Always assume I'll kiss 60% of the bits goodbye unless I earn some back. If I have a (one can dream) 100k bit jackpot (value $1,000) I know the only thing I'm guaranteed is $400.  And don't want a complaint that I cheated for any amount, let alone one as large as $600, especially when average people winning bits is part of the appeal of the show.  I'd rather be the Goodson/Todman of Twitch and not the Barry/Enright of Twitch.

My real life offline friends occasionally does a free game of chance for easy things to give away on Twitch,  like game picks, chat currency, and one real physical prize. I won it.  Normally you can stop whenever you want, ( and i seen someone stupid enough to risk the grand prize to try for more frankly things with 90s dotcom stock value [The Simpsons joked that a 90s dotcom upstart used their own stock certificates as toilet paper] and landed on "lose everything". ) But 2 picks ago, i picked "must go twice more" and the next pick was the super prize.  He was talking about discussing the prize, but i reminded him I MUST go again. According to the rules, I must must go one more time.  If you give this to me, then anyone can refer to this broadcast and make grand prizes easier or else level a charge of letting rules slide selectively by  favoring friends over strangers.  So to prevent a Barry and Enright type scandal I'll make my forced pick.  I neither want cheating to benefit me or screw me.  And i picked my required number and hit "lose everything".

I've seen the contest before where 18 tiles are overlays of the results squares, and based on what I know, if it's something like a PC equivalent of Appleworks or Pages, you cannot switch around the underlayer without noticing weird stuff on stream.

So I do believe fate robbed me of my grand prize (which okay in something involving mostly chance and your choice is risk it or stop.)  and not my friend rigging it against me, just to prove a point that even his childhood friend and  best man can lose. 

One time in televised poker history was a four.of a kind was facing a straight flush. I think, even assuming poker games will be televised forever, everyone who seen in will never see on TV again until, as most people would say, one subscribes to Pearly Gates Cable, or as an atheist would say, until you're physically unable to witness it.  

Phase one was the pictures shown. It was originslly for an xbox 360

Phase 2 will cone in a week or 2.  That will have cthulhu plys ambi wiring.

Phase 3 i will describe to someone interested. B

As for button reconfig.  A standard Master System pad puts the 1 button, fire on the left, thr right index finger. The officail SMS stick is right handed. But can only map them left-to-left.  Unfortunately, most ganes with 1 ( r index) as fire will have 1 on the left on the left side ( l middle)

Most video ganes DON'T accommodate flipping hands for both Tutankham

(L/R....S...L/R. )

as well as ship shooters

(M/I...S.. I/M).  

Thankfully i have a Sega for LR and a Beeshu fir MI.  But that's only SMS. and most games vefote Genesisndon't think about the flip.  So if games don't, I must.

But 3 buttons or more, it needs a more flexable system.

It,'s just a side effect of retrofitting games that werevl designed to shorten credits in arcades to nake buttons easy, but firce a lett stick.  Most mirrored ganescare optimized the eay that makes most sense.  Modt games are MISIM not LRSLR, but the ones yhat are make s3nse as such.

Beeshu advertises ambi stucks as legal performance enhancers.  I'm just carrying on a tradition.