IGNORED

Share your Computer Tips

Huentner

Make sure you have access to drivers before buying vintage computer components (like with sound cards, etc).

If you want to get into DOS gaming on a real machine, get one that has a real battery for CMOS data (avoid Socket 5 boards as most only have RTC). Choose a Socket 7 board as they use CR2032s to save CMOS data like modern machines.

If you need a new AT power supply... get the Startech one... it's legit. I have one in my DOS PC.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

Backups..backups...backups.. And keep your user & self-generated data cleanly separated from OS files and applications.

Avoid highly custom niche solutions or things that push performance to the last 2%. They're always a pain to upgrade and fix and migrates to/from.

Thank you so much,i quite agree with you --- They are always a pain to upgrade and fix and migrates to/from.

I just reinstalled Windows 10 as lost my login password,fortunately,i had backed up all the computer data before this.

My advice to new users is to conduct your own research regarding questions/issue online using excellent tools like search engines (Google!) before calling technical support with questions that you could have easily answered on your own.

Can you tell I work in technical support? ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 3

Hmm..

Does the scope of this thread also include old DOS system wisdom? 

If so, I could together a few informative posts on how to do some fun stuff with old DOS machines in here.  Any takers for that?  I know of at least 2 different ways to get windows 9x to run out of a ramdisk, for instance.

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Hmm..

Does the scope of this thread also include old DOS system wisdom? 

If so, I could together a few informative posts on how to do some fun stuff with old DOS machines in here.  Any takers for that?  I know of at least 2 different ways to get windows 9x to run out of a ramdisk, for instance.

I assumed that was the thread was about... (and other old computers). This was posted in classic computing and not the Computers, Science, and Technology forum.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

14 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I assumed that was the thread was about... (and other old computers). This was posted in classic computing and not the Computers, Science, and Technology forum.

DOS systems are 1980s through early 2000s.  It is nearly 2020.

How old do they have to be to be considered old? 

Specifically, I know how to get a vintage computer (say, 1995 through 1998 era early pentium) to run win9x out of a ramdisk.  Such computers are 20 years old today.

Edited by wierd_w

On 10/22/2019 at 5:10 PM, Keatah said:

I think many tips and tricks transcend time. Stuff I learned on the Apple II in 1979 still applies to modern rigs. Not verbatim, but conceptually. Once you understand a concept, it is but a mere step taking it to practice.

To know the details.

I got these:

Using Cortana in Windows 10

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-cortana-in-edge-browser
Which can be as a personal assistant and Provide local information to users.
Windows Hello

Which is able to allows you to use fingerprints and lris scan t let ueser log in.
New Windows 10 Mail app

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-mail-app-review

which can create multiple Email accounts.

Winpwd

https://www.winpwd.com/

Which can helps you recover or reset login password from pc.
Microsoft Store app

You can use it to get your favorite apps which are available outside the Windows Store.

Edited by Huentner