IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 20 - Zaxxon

DamonicFury

Welcome to round twenty of this 5200 HSC season!  Zaxxon was tied in the vote with Oils Well, but I picked Zaxxon in hopes of boosting participation a bit more.  Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current record was set by Gabriel with 103,100 points.  Bust it if you can for a bonus point.

The ROM can be found here: 

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=672

Round ends Sunday, October 27th , 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

rubeon - 43,400

Kobra Kai - 32,800

Cafeman - 29,900

eegt97 - 23,800

Mangia-Boy - 22,550

bemis - 13,850

roadrunner - 11,050

jblenkle - 10,550

44 minutes ago, Kobra Kai said:

This is not a good version. Now I'm curious to see how good Zaxxon 32k is.

I haven't played the 5200 32k cart, but I have played the Atari computer disk version that it is based on.  It looks and plays pretty much the same as the standard 5200 cart, but it does add some missing features from the arcade: the vertical firing missiles, full range of motion during the space battles, and an improved Zaxxon robot boss fight.  It's definitely an improvement, and it makes the game harder, and thus more like the arcade.  But if it's just the general look and feel of this version that you object to, it probably won't change your mind much.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cafeman said:

The 32k 5200 version also fixes a collision bug. Has your ship ever exploded and you wonder what you hit? That is fixed. So it’s the best version of Zaxxon on an Atari. 

still not a patch on the Coin-OP original unfortunately. 

Man, I was wondering what was going on.  Will have to try the 32k version for fun.  Looks like this is where to find the ROM from @tep392 as far as I can tell:

Welcome and congratulations to newcomer rubeon for shooting the most spaceships, razing the most radar dishes, and zapping the most Zaxxon robots!  Space Dungeon is coming up next for our final round of 2019. 

Final standings:

rubeon - 43,400  +11

Kobra Kai - 32,800  +10

Cafeman - 29,900  +9

eegt97 - 23,800  +8

Mangia-Boy - 22,550  +7

bemis - 13,850  +6

roadrunner - 11,050  +5

jblenkle - 10,550  +4

• Like 1