IGNORED

Strangest place you've ever seen a TI....

cbmeeks

There was a 4A in one of the physics labs at my grammar school in the UK,

it sat there doing nothing from my first year (1986) until my last (1993).

Fairly sure it never even moved, I remember a friend of mine once asked

the Physics teacher if he could take it.

Teacher said no as it was school property, it was pointed out to him that

it had not moved for 7 years just to our knowledge and was obsolete.

Well its still school property came the reply!

My friend just should have put it in his bag, it would not have been missed 

and would have gone to a good home.

I still had my 99 and even then we were into retro programming.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, sparkdrummer said:

I used a TI-99/4A then a Geneve at work many moons ago. Bill Gaskell even wrote a software piece for me called TIMETRACK. 

Is this program available?

Also, has anybody heard from Bill Gaskill lately? He used to regularly attend the Chicago TI Faire.

He was also a member of the Front Range 99'ers, and I learned PR*Base  and TI-BASE from his demos.

• 2 weeks later...

In 1986, there were several consoles used as part of an interactive exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

Each console was running its own program (modified so that people couldn't break into BASIC. There were no cartridges being used, the consoles were internally modified?)

One program played a musical tone, and the user had to guess the frequency (in Hz). There were several other science-related programs as well, but I forgot what they were...

16 minutes ago, cph1776 said:

In 1986, there were several consoles used as part of an interactive exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.

Each console was running its own program (modified so that people couldn't break into BASIC. There were no cartridges being used, the consoles were internally modified?)

One program played a musical tone, and the user had to guess the frequency (in Hz). There were several other science-related programs as well, but I forgot what they were...

Perhaps they modified the keyboard, to remove the contacts for FCTN and CTRL, this way you could not FCTN+4 or FCTN+= ... ? Just a guess.

• 5 months later...

Just watched the old movie Big Man - Another falling star and 17:29 minutes in they use a TI-99/4A, at 16:52 minutes in they use a very impressive face maker program ?. On the desk there are two TI´s and some cheap plastic. ??

Edited by Nick99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nick99 said:

Just watched the old movie Big Man - Another falling star and 17:29 minutes in they use a TI-99/4A, at 16:52 minutes in they use a very impressive face maker program ?. On the desk there are two TI´s and some cheap plastic. ??

and hear the keyboard... :)  :lust:

• Like 2

Perhaps not that unusual, given the person, but anyone know of Stewart Ashen on Youtube? He had a small series where he went to the Cambridge Center for Computing History and rummaged around their storehouse to see what he could find to share on video. One video had him finding an auctioned-off TI-99/4A speech synthesizer, which he apparently didn't know existed (despite being a huge retro gaming and computing fan, and using synthesized speech from old computers in his videos). Then, he had a video showing off a second wave of old computers he got for gaming research purposes (for his "Terrible Old Games You Probably Never Heard Of" series of books), and one of them was a TI-99/4A, which was rather cool. In the video, he said he didn't know much about the TI, but that was years ago, so I'm hoping he was able to get it working and make some assessments of the games for it.

I used my TI for useful things well into the 90's. At that time I didn't have my own PC, but when I needed one, hauled a portable home from work.

The TI 99/4A is a typical "home" or "toy" thing, with the fragile interconnections between console and expansion box. So it's not too frequently found doing industrial or other critical work. But the programmable calculators preceeding it, like the TI 59, them you could literally find anywhere.

The most unexpected place I found one of these calculators was when I did my military service in Sweden in 1980. In the 26. armoured brigade staff, a TI 59 with the printer PC-100B was used to compute expected casuality rates for different kinds of combat. The output was used to scale the resources needed for medevac and field hospital service.

My knowledge of that calculator came in handy, as some of the staff members managed to mess up the magnetic cards with the program, so they had to resort to keying it in from the listing. But they didn't know how to do that. Since I bought mine in 1979, I did know.

Edited by apersson850
  • Like 5

On 6/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, Nick99 said:

That's a good one!

However, that guy with the beard...can he even open his eyelids? 

20 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

That's a good one!

However, that guy with the beard...can he even open his eyelids? 

?? Yes, he can, I watched another movie, an episode of "Detective Extra large" where he really opened his eyelids. But yes, I was surprised. ?

Unknown.jpeg