IGNORED

New MAME competition: interest check

Over the weekend I was thinking about it, and since we don't have an active competition going right now I'd like to start a new one and volunteer to run it. But I'd like to do things a bit differently with regards to how standings are kept and how games are selected. 

Each player who joins has the option to select up to 5 games which will be his or her "picks."  When a round is over, the games for the next round will be randomly selected from the lists of picks provided by the two top scorers in the round that just ended.  If the same player wins both games, then both of the new games will come from that player's list of picks. 

If the player does not provide any picks, or if all of their picks have been used already, then the new selection(s) will be randomly selected from a "pool" of 50-100 titles.  I will provide this list of games at the start of the competition so everybody can see what games are in the random pool.   

Note, it is OK if multiple players select the same games for their lists, and it is also OK if players want to include a game from the pool on their list to increase the chances that it will be played, but no game will be played more than once in the competition.     

Competition standings will be calculated using a "percentage score" method, which works as follows:

Top scorer in a game earns 100%

Every other player earns a percentage relative to the top score. 

As an example, suppose we have the following results in Pac-Man:

Player A - 12,000

Player B - 45,000

Player C - 17,000

Player B earns 100% for having top score

Player A earns 12,000 / 45,000 = 26.7%

Player C earns 17,000 / 45,000 = 37.8%

So, every player will have a score between 0-100 assigned for each game.  Overall standings for the competition will be based on the average of these 0-100 scores, kind of like a bowling average. 

The final averages will omit every player's (4) worst 0-100 scores.  This should give players a bit of a buffer if they need to miss a round in the competition, if they join late, etc. 

I was thinking a duration of about 10 rounds with 2 games each, with each round lasting 2 weeks, but this can be sorted out later. 

If you would be interested in participating in this, please respond to this thread so I can get a feel for whether it's worth starting this or not. 

I'm not really married to any game selection method in particular.  As mentioned, my goal was simply to have a fast and easy way for players to get their selections in the mix.  I figured having the score results influence the picks would increase the stakes of the games, but I guess it's a fair criticism that this would tend to skew the advantage toward certain players.

So I guess what I'll do is leave the floor open to game suggestions - say, 3 per player.  Offering suggestions is purely optional, as there will be a pre-selected pool of games from which the selections will be made.  All games - both players' picks and games from the pool - will have equal probability of selection, which will be done using a random number generator.    

• Like 1

It'd be a shame to see the Arcade HSC wither & die again so I'm glad to see y'all want to keep it up. I'm always up for it, though I have very little time these days so will probably only play the games I actually like.

My picks are the same as at the beginning of Leto's season: Elevator Action, Bionic Commando, Defender.

• Like 1

I'd like to participate! Due to my workload, I can't always make it for each round. But just from my limited time in the previous two seasons, I've discovered some real masterpiece games that I had always heard of but never tried: Time Pilot '84 and Ladybug. So it's something that has been really rewarding when I've been able to make the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...