IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC looking for a moderator.

It's official. Based on communication I had with Leto, he apologizes but has decided to step down as moderator as he is facing time challenges. He expressed some frustration with the relative lack of participation this season, which I admit being frustrated with as well. The great thing about Leto as moderator was the depth of his game collection and his willingness to share so we could participate. With no safe ROM sites anymore (thanks Nintendo) that service was appreciated; you can't exactly go and buy a whole arcade machine at a reasonable price like you theoretically can in the console HSCs. Along the way, he introduced us to a lot of games many of would have never thought to download in the first place. 

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to take on moderator duties? I would, but like Leto my time is limited and I've proven in the past my tallying abilities aren't that great. Plus my own collection largely consists of games we've already played in recent history plus standard fare i picked up before Emuparadise went under (Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Berzerk, Defender etc.).

• Like 1

As mentioned by hero2billions, I have already proposed a new competition and offered to run it. 

I have a full ROM set (v122) and would be willing to provide ROMs from that.  It's old, but honestly, most games that are worth playing have been emulated well for years. 

There have been some concerns raised about game selection methods, and that's OK - I'm flexible on that. 

I'm just looking for some signals of interest before I invest the time to get this ball rolling.  Even ~10 or so players would be fine. 

I would love to moderate an HSC again but unfortunately just don't have the time these days.  I will try to participate as I can though.

Thank you Leto for all your work!

btw, I have still had little trouble finding whatever MAME roms I look for so it doesn't seem to be an issue to me.  It was just more convenient to go to Emuparadise is all.  Maybe that's just the games I happened to search for though, I don't know.

25 minutes ago, S.BAZ said:

I would love to moderate an HSC again but unfortunately just don't have the time these days.  I will try to participate as I can though.

Thank you Leto for all your work!

btw, I have still had little trouble finding whatever MAME roms I look for so it doesn't seem to be an issue to me.  It was just more convenient to go to Emuparadise is all.  Maybe that's just the games I happened to search for though, I don't know.

In my experience, arcade ROMs are easy to find... the confusion and frustration comes when people attempt to use those ROMs in MAME and get nothing but error messages.  This happens because MAME ROMs evolve over time, so a version of a ROM might work on one version of MAME but not another.  Most ROM sources I've seen don't specify which version of MAME to use, so it's hit and miss.  That's why full rom sets matched to a specific MAME version are absolute gold - and once you have one up and running, there is almost zero benefit to "upgrading" as new versions of MAME come out. 

MAME has a bit of a reputation for being a fiddly pain in the ass to set up, which seems to deter a lot of people from getting into it.  That's a shame, because I swear, if it weren't for this confusion surrounding matching ROMs to MAME versions, it would be just as simple as any other emulator. 

• Like 1