IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB, what do *you* put in the available OS/BASIC/XEGS slots?

Mr Robot

Well I finally got around to upgrading the firmware in my 1088XEL to @flashjazzcats latest firmware this morning, it comes with a useful set of pre installed options in the OS/BASIC/XEGS slots. 

Question. 

If you have changed these, what did you choose to put in them? 

Right now I have a 16K padded OSa, a 16K padded OSb, XL/XE rev.3, and MyBIOS v4.  For BASIC, I just have the three Atari BASIC revisions and Altirra BASIC 1.55.  

I was playing around a bit yesterday with Boss XL and a few variations of Omnimon/OmniView.  I put everything back to my defaults though before I shut everything down for the night.

• Like 1

In my 1088XLD, I currently have as OS slots:

1. XL

2. XE

3. XEGS

4. OS/B padded out to 16K

BASIC slots:

1. Atari BASIC rev C

2. Altirra BASIC

3. Atari Assembler/Editor

4. Synapse Synassembler

XEGS slots:

1. MISSILE COMMAND

2. PAC-MAN

3. CENTIPEDE

4. STAR RAIDERS (though the one I have in there currently doesn't work - I need to dig around and find the fixed one someone posted forever ago in a thread somewhere ...)

• Like 3

I can totally see why people installed things like the various Omni* and Boss XL Operating Systems as replacements for the stock XL before these OS switching boards were available. They are really good for cross-compatiblity with both XL and OSb programs. The only reason that I don't keep them regularly installed is that I have the real things there instead. Plus, I'm not doing any word processing on this machine so no need for OmniView's 80 column capabilities. (The ANTONIA board has eight OS slots available so I do keep OmniView loaded on that.)

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, DrVenkman said:

4. Synapse Synassembler

Where might I find this ROM? I have an executable version that never seems to work with any DOS. And maybe needs OSb if its hacked etc..

On 10/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, DrVenkman said:

4. STAR RAIDERS (though the one I have in there currently doesn't work - I need to dig around and find the fixed one someone posted forever ago in a thread somewhere ...)

Happy to bite. Patched Star Raiders, and 130 other 8K options as well:  :)

6 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Where might I find this ROM? I have an executable version that never seems to work with any DOS. And maybe needs OSb if its hacked etc..

Happy to bite. Patched Star Raiders, and 130 other 8K options as well:  :)

I think Jon’s current firmware ROMs include Synassembler as a default for the “full” rom. IIRC, I used UFLASH to dump the slot contents to a file and then flashed it to another disk. If you don’t turn up a copy by this afternoon, I’ll find it and upload it for you.

And thanks for the link to the patched STAR RAIDERS. :)