IGNORED

Monty On The Run - new game

Philsan

I saw that the other day at AtariOnline.pl - looks like they've done a real nice job of colourizing it with PMG overlays.

It's actually a game I considered for conversion a few years back - I looked through a whole lot of C16/Plus4 games with the specific aim to find a good 16 or 32K game ( if that top area of memory is unused it makes things a whole lot easier).

Fact of the matter is, that system doesn't have many good games and most of the ones that are need the full 64K.  One thing about the 16K Monty though that didn't impress is that a lot of the animation is missing vs the C64 version. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I'll check it tonight.

Would be nice if it was possible to have both on stereo-equipped Atari :)

P.S.

I love these coloured hi-res games: Manic Miner, JSW, and now Monty on the Run... Great that it's possible to switch between non-VBXE and VBXE mode, too!

Edited by Jacques
typo

On 10/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, Philsan said:

Another high resolution game will be released for A8, Monty On The Run C16's conversion.

People with VIP tickets will receive it on tape at Silly Venture 2019 party (December 6-8th, Gdansk, Poland).

monty_on_the_run.thumb.jpg.384b6734227492d7ccc4524a09a9df93.jpg

72654118_2886432034719856_1500383654478610432_n.jpg.f63605f33cd37ae4df5c79e1cbe9ddc9.jpg 73163056_2886432121386514_4721978459306328064_n.jpg.b20b9a8232c2108546c9b80f010f8bc6.jpg

This is a really nice port. The music, game play and graphics are spot on/ (music is 99% close to the C64 if not 100%). High-res with PMGs looks really really nice on a real machine. 

• Like 2

Very nice port!

I finished it - with a lot of save states! - and it was really fun discovering all the levels and secret tunnels :)

I like the design of the C16 version, it's more straightforward than the other editions but you can memorize the maze more easily and you at least get the feeling the game can be finished, though it's still super tricky.

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 1

Top effort, but the thing I found really lacking when I checked the C16 version is the lack of animation for the mole jumping.

To get that back would be a real bonus.  On C64 it maintains the animation regardless of if he's blocked during the jump.

I would guess that the game probably maintains an index somewhere for the jumping so maybe it wouldn't be a huge job to add it in.

As already mentioned, we never cared about doing a full Monty game. It wasn't our goal to add any additional gameplay features. It was all about making a relatively easy cassette port of a hi-res game from C16, to see if it is possible to pack it with lots of colors. We do not plan to do anything more with it.

C16 version is lacking in many departments compared to other 8 bit platforms. Fact is, it is a quite different game under the very same name.

Edited by Marek Konopka
  • Like 2

Marek, the port is more than good enough to have sold as the official Atari version back then, that's pretty good praise for a game just done "as an easy port of a hires game" :)

I love the Monty games and I'll be giving this a good bash to see the differences between this and my initial mistaken thought it was the C64 version, thank you very much for this lovely game...