IGNORED

What existing 7800 titles are in-demand among 7800 owners or people thinking of getting a 7800 but don’t if they get the games they want?

Giles N

This is a thread about availability of 7800 titles; which ones either 7800 owners would like to get, or - for people interested in retro-gaming and considering whether to buy an 7800, which games they’d really like to have and the availability of them.

Which titles do you ‘miss’ in your collection?

What titles you’ve seen on say YouTube, would you like to get?

If contemplating to buy a 7800; which game titles makes you most interested in buying one?

7 minutes ago, cvga said:

I've had my 7800 for a long time but one of the reasons I wanted it was to play Food Fight since it's not on many home consoles. After getting it, I discovered how much I like some of the two player simultaneous games.

Ok, thanks.

Any (other) titles you’d really like to get hold of (whether rare or common, classic or late)?

Edited by Giles N

I have the 7800 games that I would want for the platform. But for me when I was younger and the 7800 was new, I wanted it because at the time it appeared to have equal graphics to the popular NES and would have the ability to play all my older 2600 games for less price. There were two games released for it at that time that made me want a 7800. It was Activision's release of Rampage and Atari's release of Crossbow. I also knew other games like Xenophobe and Galaga would be available and I was very interested in having those games as well. 

I didn't get Xenophobe until much later on (When I actually got back into retro games and collecting). But at the time of its release, the 7800 seemed to me, the best way to really capture the arcade games that I really enjoyed. And when you think about it, the arcade conversions on the 7800 from Atari, were pretty stellar. Ms. Pac-Man, Joust, and even though it had horrid sound, Donkey Kong and DKjr are both really good gameplay wise on the 7800 for the time.

I think one of the best reasons to own the 7800 today is still due to the fact that is can play pretty much the entire 2600 library of games so it becomes a nice 2 - 1 console for that era, and the homebrews for both 2600 and 7800 over the last 10+ years have really made the 7800 a worthy console to keep on hand.

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
Because my brain thinks faster than I type...
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Giles N said:

errata for heading:

it should be

//... or people thinking of getting a 7800 but don’t if they *CAN’T* get the games they want...//

You can edit the title.

I have the full 7800 NTSC library of games but the arcade ports are all quite good. Also some of the unique titles like Ninja Golf and Midnight Mutants are a lot of fun. Homebrew-wise, Pac-Man Collection, Crystal Quest Featuring Bentley Bear and Rikki and Vikki are all must-haves, to name a few. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

You can edit the title.

I have the full 7800 NTSC library of games but the arcade ports are all quite good. Also some of the unique titles like Ninja Golf and Midnight Mutants are a lot of fun. Homebrew-wise, Pac-Man Collection, Crystal Quest Featuring Bentley Bear and Rikki and Vikki are all must-haves, to name a few. 

Two questions:

1) where do I find the option to edit the title of a post?

2) You shouldn’t happen to have extra carts (reproductions or whatever), of Kung Fu Master and Tank Command, you’d be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

I have Bentley Bear: its top notch.

I still search ebay from time to time to find PacMan Collection.

Rikki and Vikki looks good from the little I’ve seen of it.

I’m also on the look-out for the completed versions of Plutos and Sirius.

I have both the PAL and NTSC versions of the 7800: titles like Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutant, Motor Psycho, and many others thats rare in the US are cheap and common on PAL.

Unfortunately , PAL runs something like 17-18 % slower than the NTSC console.

Some games its hardly noticable, but other titles suffer a little from it.

15 hours ago, Giles N said:

Two questions:

1) where do I find the option to edit the title of a post?

2) You shouldn’t happen to have extra carts (reproductions or whatever), of Kung Fu Master and Tank Command, you’d be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

I have Bentley Bear: its top notch.

I still search ebay from time to time to find PacMan Collection.

Rikki and Vikki looks good from the little I’ve seen of it.

I’m also on the look-out for the completed versions of Plutos and Sirius.

I have both the PAL and NTSC versions of the 7800: titles like Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutant, Motor Psycho, and many others thats rare in the US are cheap and common on PAL.

Unfortunately , PAL runs something like 17-18 % slower than the NTSC console.

Some games its hardly noticable, but other titles suffer a little from it.

1) Hover your mouse over the title and then you'll see instructions pop up to "Click and hold to edit title"

2) I do not have any extra carts and I don't make repros personally, but there are several guys on here who could make them for you. I highly recommend the KevinMos3 enhanced editions of both Kung Fu Master and Tank Command. @Shawn made me both of those carts two years back. Here's a picture of them. 

Glad you've got Bentley Bear. Pac-Man Collection will be back in the AtariAge Store very soon, once the dust settles from the Portland Gaming Expo. Rikki and Vikki is sold out at the moment but @TailChao plans to do another run in the future. I've chatted with Albert in the past about Plutos and he said he hopes to have it in the AtariAge Store soon.

That's cool that you collect both PAL and NTSC.

TK KFM.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Commando

Ikari Warriors

Midnight Mutants

Ninja Golf

Tank Command

Kung-Fu MAster

Rampage

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf

Xenophobe

These are the most difficult to obtain and some of the better games.

Yup don't own a one of those. Lucky I got one of CPU's multicarts for some of them.

Considering picking up a 7800 again specifically for Rikki and Vikki but while I’m at it, definitely Midnight Mutants. Would like to check out Super Skateboarding as well.

Seeing as how Saint is now developing an SD cart for the 7800, playing some harder to find games shouldn’t be a problem. Having 3 of my favorite Atari consoles within arms reach (7800, Lynx and Jaguar) all equipped with an SD card would be incredibly cool! 

On 10/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, newtmonkey said:

Commando and Ikari Warriors (NTSC versions) for sure.  These seem to hardly ever show up on Ebay even as cart only, never mind CIB.  I also shudder to think what a CIB copy of Commando would even go for on Ebay...

I got both, but fairly expensive.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Considering picking up a 7800 again specifically for Rikki and Vikki but while I’m at it, definitely Midnight Mutants. Would like to check out Super Skateboarding as well.

Seeing as how Saint is now developing an SD cart for the 7800, playing some harder to find games shouldn’t be a problem. Having 3 of my favorite Atari consoles within arms reach (7800, Lynx and Jaguar) all equipped with an SD card would be incredibly cool! 

I have secured 2 copies of Midnight Mutant for PAL, as its very easy to get a PAL copy.

I got Super Skateboarding NTSC; not a top game, but crisp and nice playability, a fun game, not brilliant but good ol’ fun.

Edited by Giles N

On 10/18/2019 at 5:24 AM, toiletunes said:

When I started collecting, Midnight Mutants and Scrapyard Dog.

Nowadays, Rampage and Meltdown.

I bought the NTSC 7800 mainly to obtain Rampage and Robotron 2084 and a few other US-only games.

Bonus: it runs about 17-19% ‘smoother’, so many common titles that may in PAL region be 35-40 frames per second, runs more like 40-45 frames per second.

On games like Double Dragon this make a huge difference.

8 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Alien Brigade is super-common in PAL, but almost never see the NTSC version, or if: very expensive.

The problem for Alien Brigade in NTSC form is easy. I got an Atari 7800 for Christmas in 1989. The fact is the stores by me did not have 1990 Atari 7800  game releases and I was surprised the 1990 Sears Christmas Catalog had those new 7800 releases. I remembered being excited the 7800 actually had new game releases, but I did not get those 1990 Atari 7800 releases for Christmas that year at all including Ikari Warriors. It took me last year to get 7800 version of Ikari Warriors and I got it from a used collectibles store with it being 20 percent off.

Stores wanted to get a rid Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 games that year for more space for Tg-16 and Sega Genesis.

Alien Brigade was one of the 1990 Atari 7800 game releases.

38 minutes ago, 8th lutz said:

The problem for Alien Brigade in NTSC form is easy. I got an Atari 7800 for Christmas in 1989. The fact is the stores by me did not have 1990 Atari 7800  game releases and I was surprised the 1990 Sears Christmas Catalog had those new 7800 releases. I remembered being excited the 7800 actually had new game releases, but I did not get those 1990 Atari 7800 releases for Christmas that year at all including Ikari Warriors. It took me last year to get 7800 version of Ikari Warriors and I got it from a used collectibles store with it being 20 percent off.

Stores wanted to get a rid Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 games that year for more space for Tg-16 and Sega Genesis.

Alien Brigade was one of the 1990 Atari 7800 game releases.

I got into this as picking up retrogaming as a hobby.

Never had any Atari console at home when I grew up.

Had a Dragon64 homecomputer, C 64 homecomputer, Amiga500, Megadrive, SNES, then I was not much into gaming at all, but since my brother had all PS 2 and forward (gen 6,7,8) I’m gaming new stuff with him (he happen to live close to me, so hook for gaming).

But remember wanting a Sega Master and NES as kid, so I bought these back in 2015, then I got curious about the Atari 5200, but it was lots of things to get right to get it up n running in Europe, so I bought 7800 PAL.

Its sort of hobby, but a very funny and entertaining one, I feel this nostalgic retro-charm for these games (well, if they’re any good and my kind of game-type that is).

Edited by Giles N

I'm not entirely sure how to respond, but in my opinion, the allure of the 7800, as with any system, lies in the exclusives. 

As far as the originals go, Desert Falcon, Food Fight, Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants, and Alien Brigade are all good exclusive games. I've preferred many of the 7800 arcade ports over the NES ports despite sound issues. I doubt anyone would argue Ikari Warriors on the NES beats the 7800. 

The Homebrew community has made the 7800 even more exciting by adding both more obscure but great arcade titles like Armor Attack II, Astro Blaster, Astro Fighter, and Moon Cresta onto the console, along with amazing ports of more well known games like Pac Man Collection, Frogger, Burger Time and Q-Bert (albeit with some name changes). The homebrew community has also created some 7800 exclusives like T:Me Salvo, Bentley Bear, and my personal favorite, Dungeon Stalker. 

The 7800 is a very underrated device. As much as it cost to buy the more obscure gems like Midnight Mutants, it isn't incredibly difficult to collect for the 7800... well except for Tank Command because that game is so damned hard to find. 

I have recently streamlined my collection. As far as keepers go, here are mine:

7800 Original Run -- Ballblazer, Dark Chambers, Desert Falcon, Dig Dug, Food Fight, Mario Bros, Ninja Golf, F-18 Hornet, Winter Games (Sentimental value, mostly), Robotron, Tower Toppler, Xevious and Xenophobe. 

7800 Homebrews -- Asteroids Deluxe, B*nq, Beef Drop (Pokey version), Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (until I beat the game, which I haven't yet), Crazy Brix, Dungeon Stalker (can't stress this one enough, this one is awesome), Frenzy (also has Berzerk, yes), Froggie, KC Munchkin, Meteor Shower, Serpentine, T:ME Salvo, Pac-Man Collection (fast Ms Pac Man), Alpha Race, and Rikki and Vikki.