IGNORED

What's the rarest 2600 game in your Collection?

Polybius

As big Atari and classic gaming fans, i'm sure just about everyone here who collects has at least one Atari 2600 in our personal collections, and some games. Yesterday, I acquired a rather interesting title on eBay: "Popeye". However, this isn't the normal Parker Bros. release, this is the unlicensed "Taiwan Cooper" version.  I bought in in the box for $11.  When I think about it, this would be just about the rarest 2600 game currently in my collection.  So, how about you guys? What's the rarest game you currently own? 

(Ps, Photo is from original eBay Listing, I can post additional photos once the game arrives in the mail). 

popeye taiwan cooper.jpg

1 hour ago, kurtori said:

Nice!  when you think about it, any Japanese market Atari items would be quite rare! 

Edited by Polybius
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kurtori said:

Thanks! These are the first Japanese 2600 games I’ve ever seen in person!

Those dudes at Super Potato in Akihabara won't sell their Japanese Atari games anymore.  Every year I ask, and every year I get the teeth-sucking and chotto routine.  Ah well, still nice to look at.

2 minutes ago, Zwackery said:

Those dudes at Super Potato in Akihabara won't sell their Japanese Atari games anymore.  Every year I ask, and every year I get the teeth-sucking and chotto routine.  Ah well, still nice to look at.

Yup actually I have seen the ones on display at Super Potato with the Not For Sale sign, but these are the first I’ve ever found outside of those.

It's interesting looking into what's rare nowadays...And I think without eBay we might never have known how rare, or common, many things were.   Back in the day (BITD), I used to look in the stores for different games all the time, ...And (knowing what I know now) it seems like the rare games were never on store shelves around here...Unless they were released later and I was kind of getting out of Atari games by then, but I mean they must have been for sale somewhere.  I barely remember seeing Apollo games, in one store...I did see some Data Age stuff...so,

I have Frankenstein's Monster in the box from back in the day...That's a 5.

Ikari Warriors NIB (R5).  (eBay purchase).

I also have Boulder Dash and Princess Rescue both CIB.

But I have 2 R8s!!

You see mail order is a different story.   BITD, I ordered both Survival Island and Sword of Saros!  They came on cassette for the Supercharger and didn't even have covers printed.  I'm even thinking the instructions were just slightly better than photocopied.  But here's the kicker.  Those are Rarity 8s, yet my friend who lived 6 houses away also had Survival Island!  We used to compare notes and make maps for that game...Good Times :)

• Like 3

For the record, when I was a kid I bought Maze Craze, and still have it, in the box.  But I bought it when it first came out and my box said "256 games", whereas later boxes all said "16 games".  I was always under the impression that maybe someday that would be worth something *sigh*...