IGNORED

All text version of The Oregon Trail

mozartpc27

When I was in grade school my school had Tandy CoCo2s for the most part in the computer lab, with like 3 Apple IIs or something.

Anyway, when we had computer class and could play "Oregon Trail," we actually played it on the CoCos, not on the Apple IIs, and it was an all-text version.  I remember the way you shot something was by typing words like "Shoot" and "Bang" as fast as possible, with the faster you typed presumably leading to a better result.

Did anyone else ever play this thing on a Coco2?  Better yet, anyone got a copy?  I am obsessed with it.

Was this a commercial product, or just a fan-made port of the original BASIC source code? I'm guessing the latter. 

Do you remember, roughly, when you played this game? Mid-1980s?

I was an avid reader of Hot Coco BITD (and, very occasionally, Rainbow, when I could get an issue), and I do not recall having seen any advertisements or reviews. Granted, I was not really interested in educational software, but this was a very high-profile title.  

This is the version of Oregon Trail that I remember.  In the thread about a handheld Oregon Trail, I was surprised to find how different it was.  It had me wondering if I was thinking of another game!

It was more of a typing game than anything. I was thinking the school computers were TRS-80s with monochrome monitor circa 83/84.  Maybe it was the Model 4, but I may have killed those brain cells a few years later.  

I was thinking it had ASCII graphics though.  

On October 16, 2019 at 4:17 PM, mozartpc27 said:

When I was in grade school my school had Tandy CoCo2s for the most part in the computer lab, with like 3 Apple IIs or something.

Anyway, when we had computer class and could play "Oregon Trail," we actually played it on the CoCos, not on the Apple IIs, and it was an all-text version.  I remember the way you shot something was by typing words like "Shoot" and "Bang" as fast as possible, with the faster you typed presumably leading to a better result.

Did anyone else ever play this thing on a Coco2?  Better yet, anyone got a copy?  I am obsessed with it.

Playing Oregon Trail on my radioshack color computer 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9JNi6jm

14 hours ago, rietveld said:

Playing Oregon Trail on my radioshack color computer 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9JNi6jm

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Was it just a fan port of the BASIC code as was suggested above?

It was just something they loaded on to all of the CoCo2s in my school's computer lab as far as I ever knew at the time.  timeframe probably would have been 1985-1992.

6 hours ago, mozartpc27 said:

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Was it just a fan port of the BASIC code as was suggested above?

It was just something they loaded on to all of the CoCo2s in my school's computer lab as far as I ever knew at the time.  timeframe probably would have been 1985-1992.

I am not sure.   I just did a LIST of the program.   It is written entirely in BASIC and does not contain any copyright info or information on the author.  

On 10/16/2019 at 1:17 PM, mozartpc27 said:

mozartpc27:

Chris Pedersen took a 1978 version of Oregon Trail and modified it for the CoCo:
https://github.com/topherPedersen/OregonTrailTRS80Edition

Paul Shoemaker is making a Version for the CoCo's from the 1985 Apple ][ Version:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2359462640/permalink/10157585460487641/

MarkO

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:17 PM, mozartpc27 said:

Also the Tandy CoCo Discord Server has an Oregon Trail Channel, which has some Oregon Trail Game, historical links.

Join Discord here:

https://discord.gg/4J5nHXm

MarkO