IGNORED

Analogue Pocket plays ... Atari Lynx games

Bochum_Boy

Not sure whether you have seen this: https://www.analogue.co/pocket/ A mobile device with a modern screen, docking station and a cartridge port that does not emulate those portable devices but allows to play them.

The combination of all well known mobile gaming systems (GB,GBC,GBA,GG,Lynx and NGPC) looks very promising to me. What do you think?

It looks really nice! Personally I've gone full circle since the 90s when emulators were amazing. Now it's more about the real hardware, the feeling and the community. Picking up the real deal, using real carts / floppy disks / tapes, playing physical copies of new games, reading the forums and checking out the new game magazines/books and trying to develop my own retro games etc. That one is a bit in between, being fpga and being able to use real carts. It would of course be very practical as it is "all in one". Would not hurt to have one! :D

• Like 1

Can't understand if they are stating to have an FPGA model of the lynx, or if they provide only the GB, BBC, NBA fpga cores and leave people to implement their core for the lynx (to be loaded on the second fpga, probably flash memory based) using the available hw for input/output and a cart adapter.

An existing fpga lynx model would be great, but can't see how they could have done  it since the sw emulation is not perfect yet.

And from what I can see, it would lack the comlynx support.

5 hours ago, Nop90 said:

Can't understand if they are stating to have an FPGA model of the lynx, or if they provide only the GB, BBC, NBA fpga cores and leave people to implement their core for the lynx (to be loaded on the second fpga, probably flash memory based) using the available hw for input/output and a cart adapter.

An existing fpga lynx model would be great, but can't see how they could have done  it since the sw emulation is not perfect yet.

And from what I can see, it would lack the comlynx support.

Not a clue what a BBC or NBA core is (I'm assuming they're typos), but I'm not sure why you're thinking all of that about the Lynx. It's quite clear that this has an Analogue developed core for the Lynx installed out of the box. Absolutely zero reason for there to be any confusion about that. Analogue has came right out and said it's there. No ambiguity about it or room for interpreting it differently. 

They're not advertising compatibility for platforms just because some hobbyist could someday add support for those platforms. That's just silly. And Kevtris is quite a talented individual. Even if it's some other talented person they've enlisted to offload some of the workload from that has handled the Lynx recreation here, they're not bound to what has been achieved by hobbyist emulation programmers in the past.

And there's a link port here, so there's some hope for a ComLynx solution to link up with original hardware (Although I wouldn't expect to see Analogue supply the cable when it appears they're telling people to make a homemade cable if they want to use the 32X with their Mega SG through the DAC). At the very least I expect you could link up with another Analogue Pocket owner and play Lynx games. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, Atariboy said:

And there's a link port here, so there's some hope for a ComLynx solution to link up with original hardware (Although I wouldn't expect to see Analogue supply the cable when it appears they're telling people to make a homemade cable if they want to use the 32X with their Mega SG through the DAC). At the very least I expect you could link up with another Analogue Pocket owner and play Lynx games. 

I suppose they could include the ComLynx port on the cartridge adapter.

• Like 1

Just a warning for everyone to keep their expectations in check.

Notice how the proposed adapters are not shown in any way.

They also advertised Game Gear and Master System adapters for the MegaSG, these were to be released in 2019. So far they have never shown nor demonstrated that such compatibility or adapters even exist in prototype form.

Anyone hoping to play Lynx games on the Analogue Pocket shouldnt hold their breath.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you want something that works well while you're waiting, I just picked up one of those chinese LDKGame consoles of Amazon. While it's an emulator console, it plays Lynx roms beautifully in a small, portable form. I'm loving the hell out of it, especially for the price.

That said, I'll get one of the Analogue things. Basically one portable will (hopefully) eventually play carts from every portable retro console I collect.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Koa Zo said:

Just a warning for everyone to keep their expectations in check.

Notice how the proposed adapters are not shown in any way.

They also advertised Game Gear and Master System adapters for the MegaSG, these were to be released in 2019. So far they have never shown nor demonstrated that such compatibility or adapters even exist in prototype form.

Anyone hoping to play Lynx games on the Analogue Pocket shouldnt hold their breath.

Really not sure where that attitude comes from as if there's one company that (so far) has kept their promises of product over the past few years, it's Analogue. Maybe you're confusing them with others who fit into the vaporware model. :lol:

Also, re: Adapters.. yeah they didn't exactly "hit" 2019.. but the announcement did, 3 days after you posted that. They're shipping in a couple months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, Atariboy said:

ComLynx is what's really missing for Lynx emulation on other platforms. I'd love to buy up a bunch of cheap PSPs and then get USB-to-ComLynx cables so Lynxes and PSPs could be linked together for games like SlimeWorld. Fine, for the PSP, it would need a USB Mini-to-USB adapter and then USB-to-ComLynx but you get my point. 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:08 AM, NE146 said:

Really not sure where that attitude comes from as if there's one company that (so far) has kept their promises of product over the past few years, it's Analogue. Maybe you're confusing them with others who fit into the vaporware model. :lol:

Also, re: Adapters.. yeah they didn't exactly "hit" 2019.. but the announcement did, 3 days after you posted that. They're shipping in a couple months. 

Have those already been available to pre-order?  

• 4 weeks later...