IGNORED

Delayed audio on Flashback 9

Just picked up a Flashback 9 on clearance at Walmart.

Hooked it up and it looks great but the sounds are noticeably delayed.

I then did the firmware upgrade described here:

But the delayed audio still persists.

I tried swapping over to my Retron 77 and played the same games (with the same HDMI cable going to the same TV input) and the Retron 77 sounds great and in sync with the video.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

It is set to Game Mode.  Like I said, the exact same TV input played on my Retron 77 is fine and has no slight sound delay.

I just watched a couple YouTube videos of people showing off the Flashback 9 and you can hear the same audio delay.

Check out this video...

Skip around in the video to actual gameplay.  Listen closely, all sound has a slight delay just like mine.

Here's another video on YouTube where, again, all sounds have a slight delay.  This one is a great example because you see the guy talking while playing and his talking is perfectly in sync so we know it's not his video recording that is causing any delay.

I'd love it is some people could try testing their HDMI Flashback 9's.

It's very easy to test!

Load up Pitfall.  Start the game.  The sound of the jump should happen the exact same time that you press the fire button.  You'll find that the sound isn't actually playing until he's at the top of his jump.

Then run into the log on the first screen.  The sound it makes when hitting the log should happen the exact same time you touch the log.

Would be great to get a few test results here.  Are all HDMI Flashback 9's like this?

6 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Load up Pitfall.  Start the game.  The sound of the jump should happen the exact same time that you press the fire button.  You'll find that the sound isn't actually playing until he's at the top of his jump.

Then run into the log on the first screen.  The sound it makes when hitting the log should happen the exact same time you touch the log.

Would be great to get a few test results here.  Are all HDMI Flashback 9's like this?

I have the FB9 Gold version with updated firmware from AtGames  (V. 20190226.img). I agree with your assessment of when the sounds in Pitfall occur. I even checked the sound with the rom playing on the Stella emulator on my PC and there is a difference - but the delay is almost imperceptible to me (a matter of frames/milliseconds). Nothing like what's is shown in the video, nor do I have those screen aspect issues.

When I load up a heavy shooter like Asteroids or Yars Revenge, it feels and sounds natural to me. I switch the FB9 between 2 HDTVs (a 49" Phillips and a 24" Insignia - both on "Game" picture settings) and I'm very content with its performance. I don't sense any lag whatsoever in sound or control.

I think there is a documented issue when playing through a soundbar. I did experienced a lack of certain sound effects when I first got the FB9. But now I run the console through the TV speakers and not my Vizio soundbar, and have had no perceived sound problems since.

But I do not consider myself an expert or serious gamer, so I'm not incredibly sensitive to these descrepencies.