IGNORED

Game suggestions for new competition

Ok, so I'm planning to kick off the new competition next weekend (probably evening of Sunday 10/27) and I need to populate the game pool from which the randomized selections will be made.

I'm asking for up to 5 game suggestions per participant.  Providing suggestions is purely optional, and players can choose to suggest fewer than 5 games, but I'm strongly urging everybody to make 5 suggestions to get a good pool going. 

I've started by gathering the suggestions that came up for the previous partial season but haven't been played yet.  These suggestions will be used in lieu of any new suggestions, but there is no obligation to stick to your previous picks.  Again, I'd urge everybody to revisit their list and flesh it out to a full 5 games. 

INELIGIBLE GAMES

Games meeting any of the following criteria will not be eligible for this competition:

• The game lacks a clear scoring system
  • Sports games (unless it includes an arcade-style scoring system)
  • The game requires 2 or more players to work properly
  • The original game uses any form of specialty or analog controller**
  • The game has already been played in the last 2 competitions

** Examples of "specialty or analog controller" would include, but may not be limited to: track balls, spinners, yokes, 49-way sticks, twin-sticks, and steering wheels.  Generally speaking, it must be possible to faithfully mimic the original game's controls using a single 8-direction controller and/or buttons.  This should ensure that all games are properly playable with nothing but a USB gamepad. 

So let's get those suggestions rolling! 

NOTE: below is an alphabetical list of games that are ineligible because they were played in the previous 2 competitions. 

Aerofighters

Arkanoid

Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja

Bagman

Black Tiger

Cadash

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Calipso

Captain Commando

Dark Seal

Galaga '88

Ghouls 'N' Ghosts

Golden Axe

Gravitar

Hippodrome

Jungle Hunt

Klax

Ladybug

Legend of Kage

Magic Sword

Mario Bros.

Millipede

Moon Patrol

Mr. Do!

Mystic Riders

Nibbler

Ninja Baseball Batman

Parodius DA!

Popeye

Prehistoric Isle in 1930

Puyo Puyo

R-Type

Scramble

Sunset Riders

Super Pac-Man

Tetris Plus

Time Pilot '84

Time Tunnel

Toki

Trojan

UN Squadron

Wizard of Wor

X-Men

Xybots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, S.BAZ said:

Guerilla War

Hey man, this one isn't going to fly because it uses rotary joysticks.  Is there some other pick you want instead? 

Note: I noticed in the suggestions thread for the previous competition you asked for Rod Land, so if I don't hear from you I'll go with that.

56 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

I'm also able to play twin stick. Here are some of my suggestions...

Joust
Gyruss
Juno First
Sinistar
Ninja Spirit (this game is almost like a hybrid platformer/shoot 'em up)

Sinistar uses a special joystick.  Got something else you want to pick in its place? 

Edited by Cynicaster

2 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Sinistar uses a special joystick.  Got something else you want to pick in its place? 

Sure, how about Over Top (Neo Geo)? It's a top-down rally racing game with a few different cars to choose from. I've never played it but I'm curious about it.

• Like 2

So if we don't have twin-stick capability, what is the most accessible option: two keyboards? I guess I can manage that -- might be a little frustrating but I'll do my best. I've played Sinistar with standard MAME controls and it seemed to work okay-ish, but I don't know for sure because I never played the coin-op.

Edited by AtariWarlord
Corrections

I've only played the coin-op Sinistar once. MAME seems pretty good, but I'm a complete novice at it so I'll defer to others with more experience with its 49-direction nuances! By the way, 49 is such an odd division of 360. I presume it's actually 48 directions and the 49th "direction" is center?

14 hours ago, Mangia-Boy said:

Kickman --  Never played before, just heard of its existence in the Atari prototype thread.

It's a great game but unfortunately it's not going to work for this competition because it uses a roller controller.  Is there a joystick/buttons game you'd like to substitute? 

On 10/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, Cynicaster said:

It's a great game but unfortunately it's not going to work for this competition because it uses a roller controller.  Is there a joystick/buttons game you'd like to substitute? 

I was able to play it with a normal joystick.

But maybe for higher scores a roller controller is needed.

So instead of Kickman let's say: Chameleon.

7 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

Armored Car is already suggested

Lady Bug is not eligible because it was played recently (see list at start of thread)

Do you want to change these selections to others? 

Yes,

-New Rally-X

-Jr Pac-Man

thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify:

If you've already sent in your picks, they're set for the competition - no changes "just because."

But I will accept new suggestions right through to the end of the competition for anybody who hasn't sent them in.  Each new round, the games are randomly selected from the pool of eligible suggestions received up to that point.  Obviously, the earlier a game is submitted, the more chances it has of being picked.