IGNORED

NES Zapper Distance

While fiddling with my zapper even back in the old days it was difficult to aim from a distance.  It always worked 3 inches from the tv.  But was hard to hit from a distance.  So I started wondering how far does it work?  The cord of my original grey zapper measured 8ft.  And my tomee is 5ft.  So does it mean it only works at 8ft max.  Or if you get a long av and ac cable it can go back more.  Or an extesion controller cable.  Or they made the cord 8ft because that is as far back as the firing range is.

Those who had a zapper back then how far back did you sit and accurately hit ducks or any of the zapper gamees?

53 minutes ago, CZroe said:

I'm sure screen size and ambient lighting are a factor

Indeed.

The zapper works by checking the position of a white square on the TV (it's the flash you see when you fire - it's not just a fancy flash effect, it's a required technical effect). The more light and/or the less constrast your TV has, the less the gun will work.

I have no idea on how far it would work.

Edited by CatPix

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Extension cables were not even made back then were they?

The only real NES extension cable back in the day was the NES Four Score... and the Zapper does not work with that. There was also the NES Satellite which was wireless but also doesn't work.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

47 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The only real NES extension cable back in the day was the NES Four Score... and the Zapper does not work with that. There was also the NES Satellite which was wireless but also doesn't work.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?105464-NES-Satellite-question

According to this third from bottom the satellite does work with the zapper.

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Extension cables were not even made back then were they?

Yes, there was some, I have a few, not sure if they were OEM or 3rd party.  I pulled my collection from my parents house and in a old milk crate was wires with controllers, power cords and extention cords. There was a few of them in there. 

I do remember using them back in the 80's because my consoles were always on one side of the room so we needed long cords to play 2 player games...

Edited by TheCoolDave