IGNORED

Looking to get a famicom question

bradhig1

I was looking at Twin Famicoms on Ebay because they have only one power supply while the original famicom and disk system need two. There are some a/v modded originals because the unmodded ones run on channel 95,96,97.    Which would be better for me?   I wanna play Doki Doki Panic ,Super mariio Bros 2 Jp , and F1 race and other games not released on NES.

Another option is to get a Japanese AV Famicom (supports composite video out of the box), the Famicom disk drive RAM connector, and an FDSStick to store all the disk images.  That way you don't have to worry about disks getting corrupted/going bad, you only need one power supply (for the Famicom), and don't have to worry about replacing belts, etc.

Link to FDSStick details

• Like 1

If your OK playing them on your Original NES(I did a NESRGB in mine so it looks epic)... You can get a Everdrive N8 and they play back (it will play US and Japan/Japan disc games). I was playing Super Mario 2 (J) and I have Doki Doki Panic but, it appears to just be Super Mario 2 (J)...I'll look to see if I can find the original one..

I was also looking over the Twin Famicoms on ebay the other day, seem to go reasonably priced...if you don't mind the $70+ in shipping from Japan... Oh, I forgot, non-removable controllers, kind of a deal killer for me...

As for A/V mods, I am sure there is one available for those systems, if not even a RGB option...

Edited by TheCoolDave

10 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

Another option is to get a Japanese AV Famicom (supports composite video out of the box), the Famicom disk drive RAM connector, and an FDSStick to store all the disk images.  That way you don't have to worry about disks getting corrupted/going bad, you only need one power supply (for the Famicom), and don't have to worry about replacing belts, etc.

Link to FDSStick details

Interesting

21 hours ago, TheCoolDave said:

I was also looking over the Twin Famicoms on ebay the other day, seem to go reasonably priced...if you don't mind the $70+ in shipping from Japan... Oh, I forgot, non-removable controllers, kind of a deal killer for me...

Get one and buy a controller on the side.

The Famicom and Twin Fami both have a joystick connector that recognise any pad plugged to it as pad 1 and 2 (in fact, in the NES, the pads 1 and 2 we have are wired to this plug and not to the original famicom pad port! Probably so they could enable the start/select buttons on the second player pad).

gallery_35492_963_1243415.jpg

For disks, you have to know two things :

first, that in addition to belt rotting, the drive is a clunky mess. Discussing with several Famicom fans, easily 1/3 of FDS drives require either a Disk Doctor floppy or specialized tools to obtain a proper timing, as the drive itself is purely mechanical and can go out of timing on it's own.

Second; unless the seller tested each disk, you can NEVER be sure that the floppy contain the game that is written to the label.

All floppies are rewritable, so you never sure that you'll get the game you want.

Most of the time it is the game you want, but sometime... it's not.

IMO, you can still get a Twin Famicom instead of a Famicom AV so you get the mic and it's an original piece of hardware, but also get a FDS (or just the RAM adapter if you find it) and get a FDSstick, so you get the best of both worlds.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

You need to apply them yourself but they have the tools there too (lunar ips, x-delta, etc.)

FDS translations: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=7&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

NES(FC) translations: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=1&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

Something to get you started, you can further filter down to english as they have any language someone may have done.

You can use a FDSStick with the Twin Famicom, if you hack the cable under the system (under a soft plastic cover). Well it's more hackign a cable from a RAM adapter, and removing the pass-trough cable, as the connector is the same.

fdsstick_twinfami.jpg

Another solution is to get a RAM adapter and plug it on the regular Famicom cart slot. It's silly but that works, too!

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1