IGNORED

Final versions of Rockball, Star Maze, Lifespan and Da Fuzz by Roklan RELEASED!!

Dutchman2000

On 1/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mr Robot said:

No BIN's no CAR's. Gavin has made an error including that extension in his list. 

SDrive supports Disk Images, Tape Images and binary executables. The binary executables could in theory have any extension (including BIN) and they would work with SDrive-MAX, common binary executable file extensions are XEX and COM.

BIN is 'usually' used for raw cart images, a CAR file is a cart image with a 16 byte header that includes the cart type for multicarts and emulators. 

For CAR/BIN support you need a multicart (AVGCART, SIDE3, The!Cart, Ultimate Cart, Uno Cart etc.) Most of them will support XEX/COM files as well, but not Disk or Tape images (because they load through the SIO port). 

AVGCART has an optional SIO cable that allows it to support all Atari data file formats. It's the only device to offer that. 

Thanks for the information. I'll just have to wait and see if anyone ever converts these to an SDrive-usable format.

Cheers,

Smeg

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Any details on that?

They coded a rival 5200/A8 version of Gyruss that Parker Bros didn't use. Who still has the code - and whether it can be retrieved - are different stories. It might be better, about the same, or worse than the version Parker Bros sold. But it's sought after nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, Lynxpro said:

They coded a rival 5200/A8 version of Gyruss that Parker Bros didn't use. Who still has the code - and whether it can be retrieved - are different stories. It might be better, about the same, or worse than the version Parker Bros sold. But it's sought after nonetheless.

Interesting - I was not aware.  I like the Parker Brothers version, the music is good.  Would have been nice to see them try a higher res version - it just looks so blocky and a tad slow after seeing the C64 version.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Interesting - I was not aware.  I like the Parker Brothers version, the music is good.  Would have been nice to see them try a higher res version - it just looks so blocky and a tad slow after seeing the C64 version.

I think the 5200/A8 version plays better and sounds better than the C64 version... and the Colecovision version.

14 minutes ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Here is the only version of Roklan's Gyruss that I was able to find.  All of the released versions came from On-Time Software.

Gyruss (Weber).XEX 12.88 kB · 0 downloads

Game says Parker Brothers.  Is this not just an earlier version maybe?  Either way - same blocky resolution (Mode 7) that emkay drools over.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Game says Parker Brothers.  Is this not just an earlier version maybe?  Either way - same blocky resolution (Mode 7) that emkay drools over.

Of course it does!  Roklan did contract work for Parker Brothers.  They wrote several games for them.

Edited by Dutchman2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

I think the 5200/A8 version plays better and sounds better than the C64 version... and the Colecovision version.

Not to start a war or anything. I always preferred the C64 version. Likely because it was the first home version of Gyruss I ever played. I do see the technicals being better on the Atari 8-bit. But I don't like the monochrome'ish look.

• 1 month later...