IGNORED

Final versions of Rockball, Star Maze, Lifespan and Da Fuzz by Roklan RELEASED!!

Dutchman2000

1 hour ago, Allan said:

Thank you for rescanning it. Unfortunately, you scanned it at 72 DPI again. My guess is you are using the software that came with your scanner, maybe. Scanner software included with scanners tends to be not very flexible and sometimes not easy to use. Fortunately you did rescan the cover completely this time. Although not perfect, I was able to clean it up some more and posted it below.

Since you probably have the only copy in the world, I, and I am sure others, appreciate you scanning it and the other stuff that you have archived over the years.

Lifespan_Roklan.pdf 6.06 MB · 2 downloads

Nope, I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC which was set to scan at 300dpi. 

21 minutes ago, Dutchman2000 said:

I am going through the archive of a retired programmer,  there is a lot of stuff and it takes awhile to catalog everything.  

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing.  I've been an Atari computer user since 1982, had a 2600 since I was 2 years old.  So it amazes me that we are still getting gifted with so much new (and new old) stuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Nope, I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC which was set to scan at 300dpi. 

OK. Makes sense. Should have thought of that. 

My version of Acrobat Pro (older than Acrobat DC) isn't working any longer but from what I remember it had four settings for quality. The lower quality setting was 72 DPI, with the higher settings giving you higher DPI. Acrobat is not really great for archiving pictures. It's not very flexible when it comes to scan quality. That's not it's main purpose obviously. It only scans in jpeg with no other options. At least that was true at one point. You have to work with what you have though. Although you said you picked a 300 DPI option so I am not sure what happened.

How did you scan the box covers? If you scan the manuals the same way, we can easily put them into a PDF for ease of viewing. If your software allows TIFF output even better but a big deal. As long as a jpeg is a large enough dots per inch it doesn't get dithered/altered much.

The best software for digitally archiving stuff is Viewscan. It's not perfect and it's not cheap, but it's the most powerful and works with more scanners than anything else out there.

I don't mean to sound like a pain. I really do appreciate you archiving this stuff. It's really hard coming across this stuff and most people of the few that have them are not interested in digitally archiving them and sharing them.

I have good experiences with NAPS2 https://www.naps2.com/, but it is Windows-only. It handles rather big jobs. I scanned documents up to 580 pages with a raw TIF-size of over 1 GB.

It is OpenSource, generates multipage TIF and PDF, has OCR, can use TWAIN and WIA drivers and allows certain image manipulations.

A nice feature for owners of automatic sheet feeders is the ability to scan double sided documents in two batches (first all front sides then all back sides) and automatically sort them into the correct sequence.

But I also have to admit that I only scanned a fraction of what Allan did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I can't wait to hear your results! These are Cart images ;) 

Oh, so .car images won't work on an SDrive? Bummer. Then I guess I won't try them this weekend. Never mind.

Although, the first post has .bin images, and according to this, they will work with SDrives...

• Supports “ATR”, “ATX”, “CAS”, “COM”, “BIN”, “EXE”, “XEX”, “XFD”, “TAP”, “IMG” images.

Edited by Atari Smeghead

6 hours ago, DjayBee said:

I have good experiences with NAPS2 https://www.naps2.com/, but it is Windows-only. It handles rather big jobs. I scanned documents up to 580 pages with a raw TIF-size of over 1 GB.

It is OpenSource, generates multipage TIF and PDF, has OCR, can use TWAIN and WIA drivers and allows certain image manipulations.

A nice feature for owners of automatic sheet feeders is the ability to scan double sided documents in two batches (first all front sides then all back sides) and automatically sort them into the correct sequence.

But I also have to admit that I only scanned a fraction of what Allan did.

To sort pages I use a cheap little program called 'Combine PDFs'. It's fast and allows good work flow. The one program I use that slows me down is Apple's Preview. Since it still does a number of things quick I still use it. Unfortunately Apple partially broke it and still hasn't fixed it in over 5 or 6 different releases of OS X.

4 hours ago, Atari Smeghead said:

Oh, so .car images won't work on an SDrive? Bummer. Then I guess I won't try them this weekend. Never mind.

Although, the first post has .bin images, and according to this, they will work with SDrives...

• Supports “ATR”, “ATX”, “CAS”, “COM”, “BIN”, “EXE”, “XEX”, “XFD”, “TAP”, “IMG” images.

No BIN's no CAR's. Gavin has made an error including that extension in his list. 

SDrive supports Disk Images, Tape Images and binary executables. The binary executables could in theory have any extension (including BIN) and they would work with SDrive-MAX, common binary executable file extensions are XEX and COM.

BIN is 'usually' used for raw cart images, a CAR file is a cart image with a 16 byte header that includes the cart type for multicarts and emulators. 

For CAR/BIN support you need a multicart (AVGCART, SIDE3, The!Cart, Ultimate Cart, Uno Cart etc.) Most of them will support XEX/COM files as well, but not Disk or Tape images (because they load through the SIO port). 

AVGCART has an optional SIO cable that allows it to support all Atari data file formats. It's the only device to offer that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Allan said:

OK. Makes sense. Should have thought of that. 

My version of Acrobat Pro (older than Acrobat DC) isn't working any longer but from what I remember it had four settings for quality. The lower quality setting was 72 DPI, with the higher settings giving you higher DPI. Acrobat is not really great for archiving pictures. It's not very flexible when it comes to scan quality. That's not it's main purpose obviously. It only scans in jpeg with no other options. At least that was true at one point. You have to work with what you have though. Although you said you picked a 300 DPI option so I am not sure what happened.

How did you scan the box covers? If you scan the manuals the same way, we can easily put them into a PDF for ease of viewing. If your software allows TIFF output even better but a big deal. As long as a jpeg is a large enough dots per inch it doesn't get dithered/altered much.

The best software for digitally archiving stuff is Viewscan. It's not perfect and it's not cheap, but it's the most powerful and works with more scanners than anything else out there.

I don't mean to sound like a pain. I really do appreciate you archiving this stuff. It's really hard coming across this stuff and most people of the few that have them are not interested in digitally archiving them and sharing them.

Here's a hi-res scan of my manual from the NVM Archives. Hope this helps with issues you're having.

Roklan Lifespan instructions 1983.pdf

• Like 1