IGNORED

Season 16 Round 9 - Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

asponge

Slaying monsters feels appropriate with Halloween right around the corner.  Be aware, the score disappears almost immediately after losing your last life.

531220423_Castlevania3Cartridge.png.77e949f25a1904ab54949e0cdef15d04.png 539459912_Castlevania3Screenshot.png.071d7d48a8b1196befda0f8f08a2a5c4.png

Game Rules:

No Passwords

No Name Codes

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday November 3 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Scores:

In Round:  79,580 by rjchamp3 posted on 1/23/2007

Freeplay:  180,010 by Nutsy Doodleheimer posted on 6/12/2015

Scores so far:

Tempest      78,120  +6   53
mbd30        36,060  +5   54
asponge      28,920  +4   48
S.BAZ        15,740  +3   45
Floyd Turbo  14,050  +2   34
jblenkle      7,600  +1   15

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.c9541ede686737d0eec9c3425a335e9b.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.

Edited by asponge

34 minutes ago, asponge said:

This was a tough one.

Points Awarded:

Tempest      78,120  +7
mbd30        36,060  +6
asponge      28,920  +5
empsolo      24,060  +4
S.BAZ        15,740  +3
Floyd Turbo  14,050  +2
jblenkle      7,600  +1

It's tougher than you think to get a high score on games like this since 99% of us never played them for high score to begin with.  Bomberman II is going to be the same way I think.

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

It's tougher than you think to get a high score on games like this since 99% of us never played them for high score to begin with. 

Agreed.  I personally never paid attention to the score while playing any of these games.  It was about getting to the end.  Although I think for games where points aren't really the goal, like Castlevania, Rush n' Attack, Double Dragon, etc., the score roughly translates to how far into the game you got.  It's close enough to make it a fun competition, but not exact enough to take it too seriously.

19 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Bomberman II is going to be the same way I think.

It looks like Bomberman II has some various scoring opportunities that allow you to maximize your points per level based on how you play as opposed to playing the same level, the same way, every time.  We'll see how it shakes out.

25 minutes ago, asponge said:

Agreed.  I personally never paid attention to the score while playing any of these games.  It was about getting to the end.  Although I think for games where points aren't really the goal, like Castlevania, Rush n' Attack, Double Dragon, etc., the score roughly translates to how far into the game you got.  It's close enough to make it a fun competition, but not exact enough to take it too seriously.

It looks like Bomberman II has some various scoring opportunities that allow you to maximize your points per level based on how you play as opposed to playing the same level, the same way, every time.  We'll see how it shakes out.

I know that the trick to scoring high in Double Dragon is killing as many enemies as you can with the headbutt.

For Double Dragon II it's cyclone kicks.

Edited by mbd30