IGNORED

Service wanted for Sega Master System

guitarmas

Hey all!

I'll be getting my Sega Master System pretty soon. I'm so psyched about it!

Does anyone here do modding for the system?

...HDMI, capacitor replacement, or the beloved FM synthesizer mod?

I look forward to your posts!

Thanks!

:)

Edited by guitarmas

Well, I haven't run into a single SMS to date that ever needed any cap replacement. The caps used in the SMS are a lot better than the ones used in the later 90's consoles :) I wouldn't bother with that.

As for connectivity, you should look into getting the native RGB outputted to HDMI. I used a combo of HDRetrovision Genesis cables and a RetroTink2X to do that, but an easier way would just be to grab one of these suckers (and quick!):

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-HDMI-CABLES/SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-1-GENESIS-1-MASTER-SYSTEM-1-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-480P-CABLE

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the FM mod several times. A few things to keep in mind regarding that mod:

- It isn't cheap for the FM mod board since you have to order them directly from Tim off his website. Also takes a bit to get them since he is in Australia.

- If you want full FM support for all the games, you really need the region switch added so you would need to be okay with a small hole being drilled into the case and a toggle lever switch added to it.

- The FM mod is tied directly into the main audio line as a result, the FM is NOT in stereo as the SMS doesn't output in stereo normally to begin with.

The cable mentioned above I've not tried myself but looks like a good way to get excellent video from the SMS. My SMS is s-video modded and I use it that way through my video switcher and that has been excellent for me.

Other things that are possible, are to remove he original 7805 voltage regulator and replace it with a more efficient DC-DC drop in converter. Heatsink no longer required due to no heat.

Can also have the console enhanced along with an SMS controller to add pause from the controller itself. Some games use the pause button as an extra button to access game information.

Funny thing is that I *hate* the FM sound. It sounds unnatural to me.....obviously because I grew up with the SMS in the USA where we never had it. Years later I remember hearing the FM in emulators and searching the options to shut it OFF as it was not what I had remembered. I guess if you were starting new with the SMS you may prefer it, but not me!

Thanks for all the info!

I don't mind a small switch being put in. I actually think it would look cool to have it done. I noticed that the mod comes with a switch...is that what we are talking about or is that something totally different? I've already tried to contact Tim a few days ago. He's out for a few days. I just got an auto reply from him.

Is the FM mini a good alternative? Are there games that utilized the FM ability that are on "card" games? If so, I just might do the mod instead. I'm just brainstorming right now. :)

Do you do the controller mod?

I'm still new to the SMS. :)

Edited by guitarmas

I heard a lot of good things about the FM Mini. It probably does not work with card games (I would suspect not), but then again, I can't think of a single card game that actually had FM sound anyway.

Not all games had the sound...there should be a list somewhere online of games that utilized it. 

I've only modded just one of my personal controllers. In addition to adding a switch to the SMS controller, you also have to build a small logic gate circuit inside the SMS to handle the function. Basically you wire the button on the controller to send two opposing direction signals at once to the SMS. Like UP & DOWN or LEFT & RIGHT at the same time. Those aren't physically possible normally and the logic circuit will interpret this as a pause command.

There are kits that would make it much easier on Etsy but I've not ordered or installed it myself.

1 minute ago, eightbit said:

I heard a lot of good things about the FM Mini. It probably does not work with card games (I would suspect not), but then again, I can't think of a single card game that actually had FM sound anyway.

Not all games had the sound...there should be a list somewhere online of games that utilized it. 

This is correct. The FM mini does an really good job but I'm not sure if it is compatible to produce FM for Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap. Also there is slight difference in the way the FM sounds between the true FM mod board and the FM mini. Not sure why but I can hear it but not enough for most people to care I'm sure. I installed the FM board in my SMS before I knew about the FM mini or I might have gone that way.

And yes, the small switch that comes with the kit is to provide a few FM settings along with region switching.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 3:23 PM, guitarmas said:

Heads up!

He just got more FM mod kits in stock!

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=202&rn=538&action=show_detail

:D

I didn't know he was sold out of them? Mine is a slightly older version but I've installed this kit in a few others. I wouldn't worry about getting your SMS recapped, but I would look into the FM mod if you wish to go that route but again, it isn't in stereo and the FM chip only has one channel if I remember correctly anyway.

The 7805 swapout to a DC-DC converter pretty much removes any heat the console generated so the heatsink inside is no longer required.