IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2019 thread

Grig

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

...shoot I've only got a BetaMax!

All right that was a fib...I do legitimately currently own Super BetaMax, VHS, S-VHS, D-VHS, CED, LaserDisc, DVD (region-free) HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4k Ultra HD Blu-Ray players.  I like to think I was the winner of the format wars!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doubledown said:

All right that was a fib...I do legitimately currently own Super BetaMax, VHS, S-VHS, D-VHS, CED, LaserDisc, DVD (region-free) HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4k Ultra HD Blu-Ray players.  I like to think I was the winner of the format wars!

You're pretty close to a video transfer lab. But you still need to get your hands on a MiniDV, a Digital-8 and a U-Matic (for those local TV station archives).

A DVD-Ram drive and ISObuster will cover you for all the MiniDVD camcorder customers who forgot to finalize their discs when their equipment still worked.

That should cover about 98% of your video formats, but no slides and film. Don't get me started about slides and film.

• Like 1

I forgot I also have a Hi8 player as well...studio movies were released in this format (Video8) believe it or not (I currently own Flashdance and The Hunt for Red October).  My goal was 1 high-end player for each type of commercially available studio-release format, and I'm covered.  I have a bunch of movies that aren't available on modern formats (or if they were, are long OOP and super expensive), so I wanted to be able to watch and/or digitize them. 

I have done some home movie digitizing for friends from VHS, VHS-C, and Hi8 over the years too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doubledown said:

Cool, I just got my first CED player this last year. Funny that I never knew about this format, considering that I think most (maybe all) of the players were manufactured where I live.

I only have maybe a dozen CED movies right now. They're so large (and heavy) that I haven't found a good solution for storing them yet.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, doubledown said:

I do legitimately currently own Super BetaMax, VHS, S-VHS, D-VHS, CED, LaserDisc, DVD (region-free) HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4k Ultra HD Blu-Ray players.

So it begs the question: Did you fill in all those under "Media format" in your Secret Santa information?

• Like 1

I've always really liked movies (and "technology"), and it was actually a guy I met at one of the game conventions years ago (who was also really into movies and film making) who talked/got me into some of the long-forgotten obsolete formats, and all their splendor.  I too have a small collection of CEDs, and most of the other oddballs for that matter, like I said it's mostly as a novelty, for rarer non modern released movies, and movies that have been "changed" in their modern format where I prefer the vintage recording.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chuck D. Head said:

Fujiskunk, I haven't run across DVD players that don't play VCDs; granted I don't have any recently manufactured ones.

I want to say I've run across one or two, but then I haven't exactly tested that extensively.  I may just be misremembering players that supported commercial VCD's but weren't very friendly about home-made VCD's.  I actually have a sizeable collection of commercial VCD's, including some I believe are actually legit!  Don't ask me why I'm keeping them, but I am, at least for now.

17 hours ago, Chuck D. Head said:

Doubledown, you have me beat as I have no Betamax; but how about a  VideoNow player for those PVD's?

Ooh, I have one of those!  I don't plan on keeping it, but for now I have it.  Definitely an intentional flash in the pan if there ever was one.  Those 3-inch "DVD's for kids" made a lot more sense, and they didn't last long either.

And speaking of flashes in the pan, what about UMD movies? :)

Also don't forget GBA Video...

6 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

Ooh, I have one of those!  I don't plan on keeping it, but for now I have it.  Definitely an intentional flash in the pan if there ever was one.  Those 3-inch "DVD's for kids" made a lot more sense, and they didn't last long either.

And speaking of flashes in the pan, what about UMD movies? :)

Also don't forget GBA Video...

Actually, there was also a full-size VideoNow player with color video also. I do have a few UMD movies but no PSP. GBA video is a fun one, but the carts are starting to get spendy.

All this talk about video formats and players... I feel compelled to say that I own a single Laserdisc. A movie called Dunderklumpen... Which is a movie I totally adore. However, I don't own a Laserdisc player (which maybe puts me in the minority in this thread ... I love this place). 

If anyone here would be into transferring this to some kind of less obscure media, please feel free to PM me and we can arrange something down the road.

• Thanks 1