IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2019 thread

Grig

On 12/12/2019 at 7:00 AM, FujiSkunk said:

Odds are your DVD player can also do VCD's.  Most included that as a "hidden" feature.  Many even play SVCD's.

Indeed. Actually, I like the VCD format and it is also one of the few retro items it is still possible to find around here with relative ease (as some of my past Secret Santa recipients over here know! :P ) 

Edited by roberto
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, doubledown said:

Sounds vaguely German.  Is it NTSC or PAL?

NTSC. It's originally a Swedish film. Released by Vestron Video in the US.

I grew up with a very worn out VHS dub my dad made from a rental in the mid-80s. My sister actually called me from a thrift store when she saw the Laserdisc there a decade ago or so. Told her... BUY IT, please!

Edited by CaptainBreakout
Politeness

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Everyone is being so restrained this year. No pictures yet.

I'm trying to wait until at least Christmas Eve. I admit the Spousal Unit is twisting my arm to get me to open it.

And on a side note I found this funny. I also think it is a fair and accurate representation of how UPS does business...

ups-plave.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

It's originally a Swedish film.

Yes, a bit obscure one even around here. I've seen fragments of it, never the entire one. It is a mix of animated and live action, akin to the same style as the Disney movies Mary Poppins or Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

yydr7jopgy1pscqwbbm0.jpg

Btw it is available on DVD, region 2 which I suppose would require you to have a region free player.

Edited by carlsson
  • Thanks 1

*sigh* it's nice to see that image. Although I worry this is going off-topic, on the other hand it seems quite appropriate to do free-form conversation while our packages are either airborne or beckoning us to tare them apart from the other room.

Dunderklumpen was awesome. I spent a good deal of my childhood in a remote mountain cabin near a lake in the summer... And while I was in a much more Californian, rather than Swedish, environment, this film felt very familiar. But... Also enchantingly weird. Since my favorite film then was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, this also bridged the gap between urban noir gen-x grit and wilderness mysticism in terms of the toons in my head.

Redundancy
  • Like 1

I couldn't hold off any longer! I opened it up a couple days ago. Super happy with the Genesis games! So far Championship Pro-Am and Lotus Turbo Challenge are my favorite.

And chocolate is always welcome in this household. Merry Christmas everyone! I'm looking forward to everyone's pictures of their gifts.

IMG_1107.jpg

• Like 10

Opened the box today since it was water damaged and everything seems to have survived! 

When I got it last week the post office left it out on my front step in the middle of the pouring rain.

I still won’t be opening it until at least Christmas Eve unless my wife’s pressure gets to me! ??

CB3D3C02-52E7-4427-B341-8F8A71E7E232.jpeg

• Like 4

NTSC. It's originally a Swedish film. Released by Vestron Video in the US.

I grew up with a very worn out VHS dub my dad made from a rental in the mid-80s. My sister actually called me from a thrift store when she saw the Laserdisc there a decade ago or so. Told her... BUY IT, please!

Your making want to go out and buy a Laser Disc Player!
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

I still won’t be opening it until at least Christmas Eve unless my wife’s pressure gets to me! ??

Compromise with the wife (and my inner demon as well) - there's 8 presents on that couch so starting the 18th I will open one package a day. By the 25th I will open the last one. :)

I kind of like the idea. Gives me some joy every day and I get to spread it around to you all too. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

Huh... I wasn't aware this Chipmunks Christmas version existed.

Last night the kids and I was watching some of the Chuck Jones version.

Oh nevermind... This is the song, not a TV special. I should have actually clicked on it I guess.
  • Like 1