IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2019 thread

Grig

• 8 months later...

It's hard to believe we're nearing the end of September already. It looks like Grig typically started having people sign up for Secret Santa around the third week of October, which will be here before we know it. So, what's our plan this year?

Like I said before I'm happy to help run Secret Santa or to take on the organization by myself, if that makes the most sense. I'm really open to what everyone thinks will work best.

I think we especially need things to look forward to this year, so I hope we can carry on what Grig was doing and make this a lot of fun for everyone. :)

• Like 6

Funny I was thinking the same thing.

I actually drafted a letter the other night where I volunteered to run this event, and do it Grig's way the best I could... but I decided to sleep on it for a couple nights before I posted.

Anyway, I'm feeling the same way as you, chicgamer. I'm either willing to run it or willing to help. I'd like to know what everyone thinks too.

Let's figure it out by the first of October. Anyone who has thoughts and opinions should chime in.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm potentially in again. The main "gotcha" I see this time is I have no idea what various package delivery restrictions there are from the various countries around the world. For example, I've heard Japan can receive packages from the outside, but are not sending anything out internationally? Stuff like that, we'd need to figure out for our various participants. Hopefully no one is in a spot where you're just out of luck.

• Like 2

Yeah, COVID could make Secret Santa a little more difficult than it has been previously. I wonder if maybe we should start and end a little earlier this year to try to get packages to everyone by Christmas.

CaptainBreakout and I have been discussing Secret Santa through PM, and we're thinking of working on managing Secret Santa together this year to try to keep on top of everything, if no one objects.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the details of how this goes, but I could definitely see being interested/able, I have a few neat things lying around "extra" and stuff, but again, I don't know the scope of it-I've sent and received several "grab bag" boxes in my short time in the gaming, it is fun, someone experienced mebbe PM me with details.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

I don't know the details of how this goes, but I could definitely see being interested/able, I have a few neat things lying around "extra" and stuff, but again, I don't know the scope of it-I've sent and received several "grab bag" boxes in my short time in the gaming, it is fun, someone experienced mebbe PM me with details.

I recommend reading Grig's first post in this topic (linked below). Essentially, we'll be creating a new thread soon where people will express interest, and after our cutoff date, we'll request specific info (such as address and gift ideas) from each person. We'll randomly assign each person to a Secret Santa, and each Secret Santa will be responsible for sending a gift to the person they received. It's a great way to have some fun with fellow Atari Age members and spread some cheer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@chicgamer and @CaptainBreakout Just a reminder that there are some Grinches out there and it may be a good idea to get a list from @Grig if he knows who they are.  This event has been hosted for a few years now and I usually see somebody in the mix who gets the short end of the stick.  That said I look forward to it this year and will participate.  Hopefully others will too.  Thank you for doing this.

• Like 4

[mention=34971]chicgamer[/mention] and [mention=31593]CaptainBreakout[/mention] Just a reminder that there are some Grinches out there and it may be a good idea to get a list from [mention=30739]Grig[/mention] if he knows who they are.  This event has been hosted for a few years now and I usually see somebody in the mix who gets the short end of the stick.  That said I look forward to it this year and will participate.  Hopefully others will too.  Thank you for doing this.

It’s strange to me that someone would want to be a part of the Secret Santa on Atariage only to go about it without having their heart into it. For me I love knowing that the person I’m sending a present to is going to love the present I sent as much as I would. It’s such a great Atariage tradition that only comes around once a year, so enjoy it! Thank you Chic Gamer and Captain Breakout for taking the reins this year!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

@chicgamer and @CaptainBreakout Just a reminder that there are some Grinches out there and it may be a good idea to get a list from @Grig if he knows who they are.  This event has been hosted for a few years now and I usually see somebody in the mix who gets the short end of the stick.  That said I look forward to it this year and will participate.  Hopefully others will too.  Thank you for doing this.

Unfortunately, Grig hasn't been around for a long time (it shows he last logged in back in April). However, we are going to try to check the list of participants with Albert to ensure that everyone is in good standing here at Atari Age. I remember when we had to have the Rescue Reindeer because someone didn't follow through with their commitment, so we're going to do what we can to prevent that. Ultimately, we have to rely on the good will of those involved, and I hope we get people participating who enjoy picking out gifts for other members as much or more than receiving gifts themselves.

• Like 4

Yes, Secret Santa 2020 will occur, if Chicgamer and I have anything to do with it. 

Spoiler

Our sensors have detected a maximum level of "CHEER" welling up under the surface of many of the ultimate AtariAge members, especially during this very hard year. This extremely special "CHEER" force is wonderful and ephemeral, and MUST be channeled to other members to be successfully realized and enjoyed, during this opportunistic window.

With proper efforts of all involved, this "CHEER" energy can be maximized and experienced by everyone.  

The strangeness of our times need not intimidate us. We CAN distribute this "CHEER"

But you must be thoughtful, generous, and ready to be a hero...

PRESS START 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

All hail the new dynamic duo running the show! Hopefully I'll get matched with someone who shares my interests/systems.

I don't know, man... Is there anyone here who's interested in vintage computers, video games and electronics?  All I've seen are posts about tacos.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

In in again!  Although I'm still waiting on parcels from 2.5 months ago, LOL.

*Shakes fist at COVID*

Well, I just had a positive experience that relates to this a bit.  I'm a bit compelled to share it, for what it's worth.

Three weeks ago my son (now 5) needed new pajamas, and he wanted ones "with jets".

So to google/ebay I went.  I printed him a page with all the jet designs I could find (that I liked too -about 8 designs).  The pair that he liked best, by far, was a design being sold exclusively in Australia. ("okay... are you sure these are your favorite?")

At checkout, they gave me a projected arrival time of October 30th, but- I'm happy to report, they got here in two weeks!  And yes, they were definitely the coolest.  In fact, I can attest that no other country in the world has cooler jet pajamas then Australia.

So holiday miracles can happen, just like my son's favorite pajamas. But obviously in this day and age don't count on it.  I've recently had experiences on the flipside too.  (Chicgamer and I have been discussing moving the shipping deadlines up by as much as two weeks from last year due to the current state of things, just so everyone knows what to expect.)

• Like 2