IGNORED

Use With Coffeepot Controller?

graywest

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I believe that I am the first person on the planet Earth to connect a coffeepot to an Atari 2600. ?

So you're probably thinking that as a game controller, this really sucks. And you would be correct. For most games, this won't work well at all.

However, I'm currently working on a barista/coffeeshop themed game in which the player prepares orders for customers. For example, the customer gives you an order: "Medium roast, extra foam, caramel." And you push the buttons and turn the knobs on the coffee maker to prepare the order. If you're fast enough, you get a tip. And so on.

This particular coffeepot gives me 6 buttons (the four face buttons, plus the momentary switch which can be pushed up or down) as well as two potentiometers for analog paddle inputs. There are also four LEDs that I think I can light with resistors and the 5v line through the controller connection. The LEDs and the pots are not currently wired up, but that's my next step.

Not something that would be a mass-market item, but I thought it would be a fun project to make some sort of unique, custom controller out of junk from the thrift shop.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Clever!

But here’s the big question...  Does the coffee maker still make coffee??

Actually, here’s a real question. If you the knobs as potentiometers to work as paddle controllers, can you use them and the joystick controls at the same time?  Didn’t one of the later systems combine joysticks and paddles?  I don’t recall if you had to switch the modes on them or if a game could use both joystick and paddle controls at the same time (on the same controller).  Seems like something like that could be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tinman said:

Clever!

But here’s the big question...  Does the coffee maker still make coffee??

Actually, here’s a real question. If you the knobs as potentiometers to work as paddle controllers, can you use them and the joystick controls at the same time?  Didn’t one of the later systems combine joysticks and paddles?  I don’t recall if you had to switch the modes on them or if a game could use both joystick and paddle controls at the same time (on the same controller).  Seems like something like that could be fun.

Thanks! Unfortunately, there won't be any more coffee from this coffee maker. ? I removed the heating element, the water reservoir, and all of the AC electronics in order to get at the control panel.

I THINK potentiometers can work with a joystick at the same time, but I'm still doing some testing. The pinout of a standard Atari controller port shows that the 9 lines are: up, down, left, right, fire, +5v, GND, Paddle A, Paddle B.

However, I'm currently wiring things using a standard joystick cable, and those don't have wires or connectors internally for the paddle inputs. Same with a paddle cable - it has wires internally to the paddle pins, but the joystick pins are empty. So I'm considering either constructing a single cable with all nine pins connected, or maybe just having two separate cables: one for the joystick inputs (plugged into the left player port) and one for the potentiometer inputs (that would be plugged into the right player port).

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I seen you have a homebrew game called Lost Cat, so I know you have the know how to make the game for this and I assume this will be much like Tapper except more interactive. Seeing how this hardware is setup is great. I would love to take this to the Sac Gaming Expo for free play once you have this done. I was curious if you got any updates on this. I know this is more then likely going to be a LONG TERM PROJECT! It took me two years to make a hack for Super Mario Kart which already have the game in place I simply added new tracks so you got way more work ahead of you then I ever did plus your doing hardware. So I understand the time frame will be a while. I also realize this thread has not gotten much attention and figured a decent post with an update request would possibly help this thread take off. It would be sad to see this thread stay dead.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, overgrouth said:

I seen you have a homebrew game called Lost Cat, so I know you have the know how to make the game for this and I assume this will be much like Tapper except more interactive. Seeing how this hardware is setup is great. I would love to take this to the Sac Gaming Expo for free play once you have this done. I was curious if you got any updates on this. I know this is more then likely going to be a LONG TERM PROJECT! It took me two years to make a hack for Super Mario Kart which already have the game in place I simply added new tracks so you got way more work ahead of you then I ever did plus your doing hardware. So I understand the time frame will be a while. I also realize this thread has not gotten much attention and figured a decent post with an update request would possibly help this thread take off. It would be sad to see this thread stay dead.

Sure, I don't have a problem with that, assuming that I get everything done in time. I'll keep this thread updated as I progress. When does the Sac Gaming Expo happen?

On 11/24/2019 at 3:31 AM, overgrouth said:

The Sac Gaming Expo is on Dec 8th there is no way you will have the time for this year but I go every year so when ever it is done you can expect me to bring it there the year of your release.

Sounds good - should definitely be done in time for the 2020 expo!

On 10/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, graywest said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I believe that I am the first person on the planet Earth to connect a coffeepot to an Atari 2600. ?

So you're probably thinking that as a game controller, this really sucks. And you would be correct. For most games, this won't work well at all.

However, I'm currently working on a barista/coffeeshop themed game in which the player prepares orders for customers. For example, the customer gives you an order: "Medium roast, extra foam, caramel." And you push the buttons and turn the knobs on the coffee maker to prepare the order. If you're fast enough, you get a tip. And so on.

Can't wait for your "Starbucks 2600" game!!! LOL 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 4:01 AM, overgrouth said:

Well the Sac Gamers Expo went well and I'm positive with your coffeepot game it would be a attention grabber. I do not want to rush you even though you say it will be done in time for next year I like quality. Looking forward to this project and seeing what you come up with.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I started work on the game but haven't gotten very far yet. I'm definitely looking forward to being able to show it off when it's ready.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, overgrouth said:

Any details on this yet?

I got everything working, including the knobs (for two paddles) and the LEDs on the front light up. They are powered by the +5v from the joystick port. I've started on the game but haven't gotten very far yet. Here's another video demonstration:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, graywest said:

I got everything working, including the knobs (for two paddles) and the LEDs on the front light up. They are powered by the +5v from the joystick port. I've started on the game but haven't gotten very far yet. Here's another video demonstration:

That is really cool. The video reminds me of what it must have been like when Alexander Graham Bell made the first long distant phone call.

Seriourly, great work on this! I love Tapper style games. Have you checked out Zooming Secretaries, Beer Slinger, and Blow 'Em Out on NES?

Both are fun: