IGNORED

Kickman for 2600 found and RELEASED!!

Dutchman2000

Hey folks here is a rare find!  Kickman for the 2600 programmed by Alex Leavens when he was at Roklan Corporation.  CBS did not release this but I am releasing it now!

It's quite fun to play.  Plays great in Z26 and Stella, for Stella make sure you have Phosphor enabled in the video settings.  Special thanks once again to Thomas Jentzsch for helping to get this game working. 

Press RESET to start the game.

Left difficulty = balloon speed

Right difficulty = kick length

Kickman (1-8-82).bin

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Just now, Rom Hunter said:

Will you also release the original, 'unmassaged' ROM?

The 'unmassaged' ROM was 4094 bytes long and missed the startup vectors. So I removed two bytes from the explosion when the balloon hits the floor and added the missing 4 bytes.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Great, but tough game! Only so much room on the playfield between the balloons and you, so have to act quick. I really like the sense of momentum the unicycle gains when moving left/right. A brief pause shortly after you start moving before it takes off. Pretty clever. 

BTW: playing on real hardware with a Harmony cartridge and a 7800, the "title screen" scrolls, as if it's PAL. But only the title screen. Game plays fine after you hit Reset. 

kick.jpg

5 minutes ago, save2600 said:

BTW: playing on real hardware with a Harmony cartridge and a 7800, the "title screen" scrolls, as if it's PAL. But only the title screen. Game plays fine after you hit Reset. 

The title screen flickers between only 232 and 233 lines. I guess it will roll on any TV. 

BTW: The 4K ROM is completely filled with code and data. So to improve the game any further, switching to 8K would have been necessary. I wonder if that played a role when cancelling the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The title screen flickers between only 232 and 233 lines. I guess it will roll on any TV. 

BTW: The 4K ROM is completely filled with code and data. So to improve the game any further, switching to 8K would have been necessary. I wonder if that played a role when cancelling the game.

Could anything have been done about the title screen rolling? (within the 4kb limitations) I mean, that’s a pretty relevant quality control issue. Neither CBS nor any other company would have allowed that to remain like that for its release.

Well, heck, can anything be done about that now for that matter? And when you mentioned earlier removing code from the balloon explosion; does that mean it alters (visually) those graphics / animation?