IGNORED

Kickman for 2600 found and RELEASED!!

Dutchman2000

its funny cause ive been on the board for only a year and it seems like a lot has happened in that short time but just like in the audio collecting world, things surface, so this is a great time to be an atari fan, im checking this game out right now on stella to see if i want to add it to the cart

Edited by chewy

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Alex gives credit to two other people who helped him with the code: Alex Nevelson and "Bob". Maybe someone has an idea about the names.

In the other thread "RIP Alex Leavens" there was a Bob Curtiss (1 post), said to have worked with Alex L at Bally/Midway. Possibly a candidate?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, carlsson said:

In the other thread "RIP Alex Leavens" there was a Bob Curtiss (1 post), said to have worked with Alex L at Bally/Midway. Possibly a candidate?

Thanks for the link. That would make sense, yes. But I am not sure if the timeline fits:

We shared an office at Bally Midway in 1982, working on 2600 games together. After about a year we both did work for a company called Roklan.

Doesn't that mean that they worked together at Roklan in 1983? While Kickman was developed in early 20021982.

I also compared the code Alex credited to Bob (BCD scoring, we also have Alex old code which shows that he did not know about the BCD mode before :)) with Bob's own code in Solar Fox. They are similar, but unfortunately the code is too generic to draw any conclusions.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for the link. That would make sense, yes. But I am not sure if the timeline fits:

Doesn't that mean that they worked together at Roklan in 1983? While Kickman was developed in early 2002.

2002?!?

Aren´t you confusing Mika Mika´s WIP with Leaven´s WIP?

Bob Curtiss seems most logical.

BTW: I have also Richard K. Balaska credited for Kick-Man.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Does Kickman have to be developed from within Roklan? While I don't know all the details, I found it useful if Alex and Bob still were at Bally/Midway by January 1982, given that the arcade was out late 1981. I even looked up the manual for Kick/Kickman arcade to see any date markings on schematics. Most of the dating is from December 1981, though the manual refers to V1 and V2 of some of the PCBs, with dates back earlier in 1981. I don't know if the Kick arcade was out earlier in 1981 and the renaming to Kickman happended in December. Anyway, if Alex and c:o were within a division of Bally/Midway while developing this 2600 game, I imagine it makes more sense if they had a playable version so soon, compared to if they were working elsewhere and were contracted to make a home version of an arcade just released.

1 hour ago, Rom Hunter said:

But these ROMs were ´fixed´ by altering the emulators and not the ROMs themselves, right?

Nope. E.g. Stargunner works only out of luck:

• The game has the startup vector set to $0000.
  • At that address the CPU accesses the CXM0P register of the TIA. This uses only two bits. Fortunately it is cleared when the system powers up.
  • The other 6 bits are floating, usually filled with the LSB of the current address ($0000).
  • So this results into 0, which is the BRK command.
  • The BRK vector is set and leads to the correct initialization code.
  • Like 2

As a side note, I just realized there are two versions of Kickman for the MAX and C64 respectively. They look similar but not identical. A while ago I learned that the C64 version of Wizard of Wor was reprogrammed, not using the already existing MAX version which makes me wonder if the same is true about this. I suppose a code review could reveal similarities inbetween those versions, which of course has nothing to do with the 2600 version.

From the U.S. Copyright database, here is the Arcade game record:

Type of Work:      Visual Material

Registration Number / Date:
                   PA0000143122 / 1982-05-18

Title:             Kick.

Imprint:           [s.l. : s.n.],  c1981.

Description:       1 videogame.

Notes:             Deposit consists of 1 videocassette & synopsis (1 p.)
                      deposited in lieu of videogame.
                   Title on synopsis: Kick man.

Copyright Claimant:
                   Bally Midway Manufacturing Company

Date of Creation:  1981

Date of Publication:
                   1981-12-11

Authorship on Application:
                   Bally Midway Manufacturing Company, employer for hire.

Previous Registration:
                   Appl. states other than material incorporated from
                      "Pac-man" prev. reg. 13Nov80, PA 83-768, this
                      audiovisual work is entirely original.

Other Title:       Kick man

Names:             Bally Midway Manufacturing Company

================================================================================

• Like 1

This is a fun game.  Played a few rounds on my Harmony Encore and UnoCart multi carts.  I haven't read up on the game, so I was surprised to see the Pac-Man characters.  Wonder what other characters make an appearance ?

I should have read the thread.  Supergun explains it all in his post

KM_PM.jpg

HS.jpg

• Like 1