IGNORED

Kickman for 2600 found and RELEASED!!

Dutchman2000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 12:19 AM, Nukey Shay said:

V2 that I just posted above is also using the autodetect routine...give it a whirl if you've got the time.

I just gave V5 (posted 2019-12-12) a try on my 2600 4-switch w/ Harmony cart.

Confirmed that paddle/joystick autodetect works fabulously.

Confirmed that this is so cool.

Confirmed that my paddle pots are wicked dirty.

Thanks, Nukey Shay!

-Jason

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Rom Hunter said:

2002?!?

Aren´t you confusing Mika Mika´s WIP with Leaven´s WIP?

Bob Curtiss seems most logical.

BTW: I have also Richard K. Balaska credited for Kick-Man.

8)

I shared an office with Alex Leavens at Bally/Midway. I started working there in late 1981. Alex worked on Kickman during that time. Roklan had an agreement with Bally/Midway in which they did the programming for 2600 Wizard of Wor and shared their technical knowledge of the 2600 system. Alex worked closely with people at Roklan during that period, which was just prior to when I started working at Bally/Midway.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bobcurtiss said:

I shared an office with Alex Leavens at Bally/Midway. I started working there in late 1981. Alex worked on Kickman during that time. Roklan had an agreement with Bally/Midway in which they did the programming for 2600 Wizard of Wor and shared their technical knowledge of the 2600 system. Alex worked closely with people at Roklan during that period, which was just prior to when I started working at Bally/Midway.

Cool. Thank you for sharing that. Did you happen to know a Stuart Ross? Figured maybe you might have met him there as well? He was working on Wings, which would have been the second CBS game for the booster grip controller (basically adds a second button function to the 2600 joystick; Omega Race was the first game that worked with it), but it too went unreleased.

Dutchman2000 did some amazing work to really bring the KickMan rom up to and beyond what may have been its full potential, so it would be great if he could take the 2 proto roms we have for Wings, and use them to build a “complete” rom that takes the best from both. (like an NTSC rom, with the title screen and opening music set on, etc.)

2 hours ago, Supergun said:

Cool. Thank you for sharing that. Did you happen to know a Stuart Ross? Figured maybe you might have met him there as well? He was working on Wings, which would have been the second CBS game for the booster grip controller (basically adds a second button function to the 2600 joystick; Omega Race was the first game that worked with it), but it too went unreleased.

Dutchman2000 did some amazing work to really bring the KickMan rom up to and beyond what may have been its full potential, so it would be great if he could take the 2 proto roms we have for Wings, and use them to build a “complete” rom that takes the best from both. (like an NTSC rom, with the title screen and opening music set on, etc.)

Yes I know Stuart and have stayed in touch with him over the years. Also Dick Balaska (Tunnel Runner), and 3 or 4 other people from CBS Electronics.

• Like 1

I thought I remembered playing it on the portable, but maybe not?  None of the versions I have can be controlled with the joystick on the portable. It acts like it's a paddle game, but doesn't know it's a paddle game (like any paddle game that's had the crc changed, like a hack of Kaboom for example and so not recognized as paddle), rather than detecting that it should use the joystick.

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I thought I remembered playing it on the portable, but maybe not?  None of the versions I have can be controlled with the joystick on the portable. It acts like it's a paddle game, but doesn't know it's a paddle game (like any paddle game that's had the crc changed, like a hack of Kaboom for example and so not recognized as paddle), rather than detecting that it should use the joystick.

The original ROM and the first hack (Paddle Test) from Nukey Shay work on my AFP. The latest one that he made (challenge test 2) does not work. It does not have any controls.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, Dutchman2000 said:

At this time the owner of the archive doesn't want any of the source code released.

Sorry to bump such an old thread. What about sharing / posting the code reverse-engineered? Ideally, I'd love to see the original source.

• Like 1