IGNORED

INTV and Colecovision Paddle Controller FAQ - big images!

evg2000

3 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Imagine a driveable Turbo, ...

Intellivision Turbo actually uses the intellivision disc as a rotary control.

and some other versions Atari games that used paddles like Indy 500

Indy 500 on the atari 2600 uses the driving controller.  The driving controller is a 16 position spinner and the intellivision disc was designed to duplicate that controller. The spinner on arcade tempest for example had 72 points.  So the amico disc with 64 points could function as a decent spinner.

Had they made a paddle like this and set up the design to swap controllers (like the Sears unit), they would have sold out and certainly expanded the game library possibilities.

The reality was that add-on peripherals, that weren't standard out of the box like 2600 paddles, were poorly supported by developers.  Still, spinners and trackballs would have been nice

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

Intellivision Turbo actually uses the intellivision disc as a rotary control.

Indy 500 on the atari 2600 uses the driving controller.  The driving controller is a 16 position spinner and the intellivision disc was designed to duplicate that controller. The spinner on arcade tempest for example had 72 points.  So the amico disc with 64 points could function as a decent spinner.

The reality was that add-on peripherals, that weren't standard out of the box like 2600 paddles, were poorly supported by developers.  Still, spinners and trackballs would have been nice

Yes, it agree and I'm aware of the use of the disc, but nothing beats the ease of control of an actual spinner... Especially one with 64 or 72 points.  

I finally installed one on one of my MAME cabinets for all the spinner style games over using a joystick.  So much better and fast.

Would be the same for the Inty games as well.  Not sure the game would accept that many inputs at it was designed for only 16, but it would certainly be more ergonomic and easier to use 

The thing with Mame is that there are already games that are specifically programmed for spinner and trackball controllers.  Mame can also emulate spinners as analog paddles nicely.  There is no reason an intellivision game can't be programmed to take real spinner or trackball input; quadrature data only needs two data pins per axis.  An intellivision however can't take an analog paddle like the atari 2600 can; unless it goes through some digital conversion.

Updated Plan.

Remember as I stated before, my goal is to sell zero of these.  I'm doing these as many people pushed me to do this, I told them I would have to charge stupid prices.. So here is the plan.

Hopefully this weekend I will put the CV and INTV prototypes (only ones in existence, and there will be no more prototypes) as seen and tried at PRGE.  It will be Friday, Saturday or Sunday (unless something changes).  The auction will be for at least a week.  The auction listing will list the end date.  Starting bid will be $200 with a reserve amount. The winning amount will not include shipping and insurance.  I will ship internationally, if winner is international they will have to work with me to figure out how to ship it.  Will include a free Y adapter.

If the auction goes okay I plan to put #1 of the INTV and CV controllers up for auction.  They will probably have two or three changes based on things learned from the prototypes.  Nothing huge.  I have parts on order for these two. Should be ready to ship shortly after the auction. They will also start at $200, at least 1 week auction.  The winning amount will not include shipping and insurance.  I will ship internationally, if winner is international they will have to work with me to figure out how to ship it. May include a free Y adapter, tbd

If this auction goes okay I will post a date for when 9 additional CV and 9 additional INTV controllers go on sale.  Will need to acknowledge the information in FAQ aka, sorry if your system breaks, no real support unless it arrives DOA.  These will be $200, 1 Y adapter can be purchased at a few dollars over my cost. Max purchase of 1 INTV and 1 CV controller per person.  These will take time to produce, so keep that in mind.  

After I have completed what I have stated above I will decide if I'm done, or if I would be willing to create more.

If for some reason a buyer wants me to sign the controller I will.

So have I scared everyone off?  Please let me know if you are still interested.

Before flaming, complaining, etc. please remember the start of this thread started with:

First off, I apologize.  Many people will probably not be happy.

First rule of this thread, no whining!

I'm not sure were I need to list the auction.  I'm guessing auction central?  Or sales thread, don't think I can put them in the CV and INTV forums.  Any one know for sure so I don't have to guess.

BTW, if you made it this far.  Assembling these controllers requires around 150 solder connections.  Think about that when you are thinking $200 is crazy.  Also around 20 hours of 3d printing time, assuming that all the piece print okay.  And I have to be home when they print, as I don't want my house to burn down!

peace

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

Updated Plan.

Remember as I stated before, my goal is to sell zero of these.  I'm doing these as many people pushed me to do this, I told them I would have to charge stupid prices.. So here is the plan.

Hopefully this weekend I will put the CV and INTV prototypes (only ones in existence, and there will be no more prototypes) as seen and tried at PRGE.  It will be Friday, Saturday or Sunday (unless something changes).  The auction will be for at least a week.  The auction listing will list the end date.  Starting bid will be $200 with a reserve amount. The winning amount will not include shipping and insurance.  I will ship internationally, if winner is international they will have to work with me to figure out how to ship it.  Will include a free Y adapter.

If the auction goes okay I plan to put #1 of the INTV and CV controllers up for auction.  They will probably have two or three changes based on things learned from the prototypes.  Nothing huge.  I have parts on order for these two. Should be ready to ship shortly after the auction. They will also start at $200, at least 1 week auction.  The winning amount will not include shipping and insurance.  I will ship internationally, if winner is international they will have to work with me to figure out how to ship it. May include a free Y adapter, tbd

If this auction goes okay I will post a date for when 9 additional CV and 9 additional INTV controllers go on sale.  Will need to acknowledge the information in FAQ aka, sorry if your system breaks, no real support unless it arrives DOA.  These will be $200, 1 Y adapter can be purchased at a few dollars over my cost. Max purchase of 1 INTV and 1 CV controller per person.  These will take time to produce, so keep that in mind.  

After I have completed what I have stated above I will decide if I'm done, or if I would be willing to create more.

If for some reason a buyer wants me to sign the controller I will.

So have I scared everyone off?  Please let me know if you are still interested.

Before flaming, complaining, etc. please remember the start of this thread started with:

First off, I apologize.  Many people will probably not be happy.

First rule of this thread, no whining!

I'm not sure were I need to list the auction.  I'm guessing auction central?  Or sales thread, don't think I can put them in the CV and INTV forums.  Any one know for sure so I don't have to guess.

BTW, if you made it this far.  Assembling these controllers requires around 150 solder connections.  Think about that when you are thinking $200 is crazy.  Also around 20 hours of 3d printing time, assuming that all the piece print okay.  And I have to be home when they print, as I don't want my house to burn down!

peace

I'm intrigued and I don't want to be offensive, but for $200+, can you tell us something of the mode of action? Does this operate on an 8 or 16-point trigger system, like the original controllers, or is direction only full on/off like a one point digital trigger in each direction or is it something like that pulse mode I described (reverse rapid fire). Does it require batteries/power cord? I don't expect a lot of detail or trade secrets to be told, just a general idea of the power requirements, output and how incremental the movement is. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, fsuinnc said:

This looks very awesome. I agree with IMBerzerk, not being able to change the controllers is very limiting for the intellivision and makes (IMO) most paddle games much less fun to play than they should be and sometimes just unplayable.

I just added DB9 receptacles to my Super Pro.

Someone was talking about being able to use 2600 and C64 paddles on the INTV. I'm not sure how this would work without a +5V Vcc. I'll have to try it.

2 minutes ago, Swami said:

I'm intrigued and I don't want to be offensive, but for $200+, can you tell us something of the mode of action? Does this operate on an 8 or 16-point trigger system, like the original controllers, or is direction only full on/off like a one point digital trigger in each direction or is it something like that pulse mode I described (reverse rapid fire). Does it require batteries/power cord? I don't expect a lot of detail or trade secrets to be told, just a general idea of the power requirements, output and how incremental the movement is. Thanks!

yep, i agree 200 is a lot. like i said, wasn’t planning on selling these. price is to offset material costs, a lot of time, and to motivate me to do something i really don’t want to do. i dislike selling stuff, and i don’t like mailing stuff i’ve sold. 9 volt battery. probably like pulse mode. limited by system and cartridge. can be used left/right or right/left or up/down or down/up

2 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

yep, i agree 200 is a lot. like i said, wasn’t planning on selling these. price is to offset material costs, a lot of time, and to motivate me to do something i really don’t want to do. i dislike selling stuff, and i don’t like mailing stuff i’ve sold. 9 volt battery. probably like pulse mode. limited by system and cartridge. can be used left/right or right/left or up/down or down/up

I'm with you there. I've got a ton of stuff I should sell and stuff I could make and sell, but just don't want to mess with it. I think I have an allergy or something to soldering fumes and cleaning sprays as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

BTW, just for general info, there is precious little information out there on the pulse mode of the PS1 flight stick by Mad Catz. This video is how I learned about it. 

While I am also curious about how the CV reads this (how does it show in a controller test?), analog vs digital, I'm stoked you made this no matter what!  No criticism here, I think it's an incredible proof of concept and an awesome device!

On 10/26/2019 at 12:51 AM, Murph74 said:

While I am also curious about how the CV reads this (how does it show in a controller test?), analog vs digital, I'm stoked you made this no matter what!  No criticism here, I think it's an incredible proof of concept and an awesome device!

Digital; unlike the Atari 2600 neither the colecovision or intellivision controller inputs can read an analog signal.  This one works by emulating a joystick similar to the colecovision roller controller in joystick mode.