IGNORED

UnoCart firmware update(s)

DirtyHairy

3 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

"UPDATE COMPLETE" v18 is working as expected for me. I tested Pink Panther, Phoenix, Zenophobe, Dig Dug and Communist Mutants. 

Note: Guess I need to test Survival Island next.

But you have been using the standard FW all along right? Seems that once you update to the UCA version it won't go back. Or at least mine just throws invalid File errors when I try to run the v18 update on my cart. But I'm pretty sure I was able to apply the latest UCA update without issue that has v17 in it. Who knows?

14 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Is it hard to build the rollbackTo and upgradeTo binaries to round trip with then latest UCA?

Not difficult, but it shouldn't be necessary. 

22 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Seems that once you update to the UCA version it won't go back. Or at least mine just throws invalid File errors when I try to run the v18 update on my cart.

The upgraders for firmwares only work for their own type. If you're on legacy/standard firmware v17 you can run v18 updater just fine, but you can't run any of the UCA updaters. If you're on a version of the UCA firmware you can run any of the UCS updaters, but you can't run any of the legacy/standard firmware updaters directly.

To switch between the two types of firmware you should use the binaries I posted here.

17to2.3.14.bin is to convert any cart on v17 or higher of the standard/legacy firmware to UCA.

UnifiedToLegacy17.ace is to convert any cart on UCA back to the standard/legacy firmware.

After running either of those to switch which firmware you are using, you can then run the corresponding updates to get to the latest version.

• Thanks 1

Updated to v18 successfully and DigDug still works. Downgraded to UCA 2.3.14 and DigDug crashes as I start the game (garbled picture and screeching noise). Back to v18.

So weird, wonder if it is some leftover of the UCA menu or if the “emulation” is different to which my 7800 is specifically susceptible.

I do not have supercharger games to try v18 fixes just checking if all of a sudden even std fw has issue with my 7800. Pleased that it still works, wish it could display more characters per game title.

ZackAttack is helping solving my issues.

He sent me a test DigDug where the mapper/driver runs from RAM and it works.

Leading theory something to do with maybe slow flash and UCA driver, it appears the std fw runs different clock and very likely different flash location. 

Anyhow he’s attempting an UCA build with driver in RAM.

Finger crossed that it works.

Great job by @ZackAttack

messaged me a test version of UCA 2.3.18 with std cart emu from RAM and my problems seem solved.

Dig Dug, Phoenix and Xenophobe no longer glitch, and Pitfall and Pitfall II still works (likely not the same emu).

This is good, I like the selection screen and the small font much better because it allows to see more of the directory content.

As to why my 7800 and/or my UnoCart I am not sure, it can be one the other or the combo that trips the glitching std cart emu.

[I am not even sure what the std cart mapper covers in terms of cart types]

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 11:13 PM, phoenixdownita said:

Great job by @ZackAttack

messaged me a test version of UCA 2.3.18 with std cart emu from RAM and my problems seem solved.

Dig Dug, Phoenix and Xenophobe no longer glitch, and Pitfall and Pitfall II still works (likely not the same emu).

This is good, I like the selection screen and the small font much better because it allows to see more of the directory content.

As to why my 7800 and/or my UnoCart I am not sure, it can be one the other or the combo that trips the glitching std cart emu.

[I am not even sure what the std cart mapper covers in terms of cart types]

Any idea when this test version will become a final version for others to try out?

On 10/7/2023 at 1:57 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Any idea when this test version will become a final version for others to try out?

I have some other work in progress that I want to complete before we release a new version. Unless you're seeing glitches/crashes there isn't much point in upgrading.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:43 PM, ZackAttack said:

I have some other work in progress that I want to complete before we release a new version. Unless you're seeing glitches/crashes there isn't much point in upgrading.

Um... what about supporting the supercharger multi load games? Because, that isn't working on the current FW I have on my UNO either? Just causes crashes when trying to load up the next part of Survival Island for instance. 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Um... what about supporting the supercharger multi load games? Because, that isn't working on the current FW I have on my UNO either? Just causes crashes when trying to load up the next part of Survival Island for instance. 

Looks like the changes to the supercharger support in the standard firmware could be made in UCA pretty easily. I'll try to send you a new UCA build to test in the next week or so.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi! I just catch this post! I found it looking for advice on the 2600 UNO cart.
I bought one in 2019 and it works really great, but I have noticed that several homebrew games like Mappy, Draconian and some others do not run. Could this be solved by updating the firmware? Also, how to know which firmware version my 2600 UNO has?

Thank you!

On 12/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, Hache said:

I bought one in 2019 and it works really great, but I have noticed that several homebrew games like Mappy, Draconian and some others do not run. Could this be solved by updating the firmware? Also, how to know which firmware version my 2600 UNO has?

Mappy, Draconian, and any other games that use the DPC+, CDF(J) bankswitching schemes utilize the capabilities of the ARM chip, specifically the one used in the Harmony Cart.  The ARM chip used in the UNO Cart and PlusCart is not quite compatible (different memory layout).  To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet completed writing the the drivers necessary for supporting the games.

If you want to play those games, your current best option would be to get a Harmony Cart.

• 1 month later...

Could an auto-mount mode be added to the UnoCart's firmware in order to be able to use it with the 2600+? Like automatically mounting a ROM with a certain name or in a certain directory after power-up. This might also work like the 32-in-1 cartridge where it mounts a different ROM from a directory on each power cycle.

47 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Could an auto-mount mode be added to the UnoCart's firmware in order to be able to use it with the 2600+? Like automatically mounting a ROM with a certain name or in a certain directory after power-up. This might also work like the 32-in-1 cartridge where it mounts a different ROM from a directory on each power cycle.

The PlusCart/UnoCart UCA firmware has an auto start function for offline ROMs in flash, but this will not work with the 2600+.

It should be easy to make a single ROM firmware similar to what the Harmony does to support the 2600+.

However, I myself have no time and no interest in developing such a variant to support the 2600+.

I think the 2600+ and the Retron77 are the wrong solution and that's why I started the (so far nameless) project, which aims to support 100% of all cartridges and multicarts:

• Like 2

The part that might be useful, though, is the idea of cycling thru a directory and go to the next ROM in the list with some kind of shortcut, like Reset+left joystick or similar. That way we would not need to go back to the menu to select the next game.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, i'm new in Atari flashcart, i just bouth an Unocart.  Great piece of hardware, almost everything i tested works well. 

But a few games dont work, Mappy Demo and Chaotic Grill are examples, i read about this, its because a DPC+ Isn't compatible at the moment.  

Any news about this compatibility ??  I see a video from 2020 with DPC+ in test with Unocart ??

On 4/5/2024 at 4:27 PM, FabioRosendo said:

Hi guys, i'm new in Atari flashcart, i just bouth an Unocart.  Great piece of hardware, almost everything i tested works well. 

But a few games dont work, Mappy Demo and Chaotic Grill are examples, i read about this, its because a DPC+ Isn't compatible at the moment.  

Mappy is not DPC+ but CDFJ. Which is even more advanced than DPC+. I wouldn't expect these games to work on Unocart anytime soon.