IGNORED

C64 DTV hacks and mods

I am looking for good info on hacking the C64 DTV into a proper working Commodore 64 system.  Ten or more years later, a lot of the old links with necessary diagrams, firmware and instructions are dead.  I have owned the original joystick model for years and recently found a Hummer Offroad plug and play game in a local thrift.

The Hummer game seems like a good candidate to modify, as the game-play itself isn't great and I seem to remember it being a revised version of the original Jeri Ellsworth design.

What I am wanting to do, at minimum, is to solder on a ps/2 keyboard port and a serial port to use with a real 1541 floppy drive.

11 hours ago, brain said:

I have information on the original DTV, but not the hummer.  Let me know if you want that info.

Yes, I would be grateful for any info on hacking the original.  I'm trying to reassemble a set of basic instructions from what remains on the internet.  Looks like I missed the boat on DTV hacking, which peaked around 2007.

• 6 months later...

Best wishes RodLightning and Brain.Following a very long illness i am trying to revive a c64dtv that i got about 10 years ago - (but its been shelved while i've been ill) - meanwhile,  as RodLightning says the well of information online seems to have run dry. I would like to connect an sd2iec sd card reader so i can replay some old games - because the built-in games selection seems pretty limited.I can do a bit of wiring etc but sadly i'm no electronics engineer - so if either of you would be willing to share any relevant information, tips or point me towards any online links - i'd really appreciate that.hope you are both well during this pandemic.please let me know.thanks.Jex

• Like 1

Hello imstarryeyed.good to hear from someone else so soon.
i'll say what i'm planning and what i don't know (most things!) 
i'm planning to put the c64dtv board into a new case and connect up sd card (via iec disk interface) plus ps2 keyboard and 2 joysticks.i want to try to run as many old games as possible - so i figure i'll need both joystick ports and keyboard for this (as some games use a few keys or other joystick).
i'm hoping to keep it relatively simple- but i believe its easy to fry the chip with too much voltage so i want to research as much as possible before i commit.(not sure if i could get another unit now they are no longer made)
i've found a pinout for the board and i'm looking at sd2iec for the sd card.i've got a pal c64dtv must be version 2 (or 3?) (i'm in uk) and the image quality  is acceptable to me -so i'm not planning on tweaking the video output.i am hoping someone will tell me where to downloadand cbm64 filebrowser (or similar) onto the card to navigate game roms on card and do i need to flash the chip for easier boot ?  (i've heard of jiffydos and other kernels ? - but i don't really know if its advisable or necessary) - i also don't know if i need the disc change button/reset  for sd2iec - i assume thats needed for multi-load games (but i also heard most roms have been hacked into single load files ?) - are there important differences in which sd2iec to buy? 
i've read the led in the unit is part of voltage regulation so i am planning to leave led in circuit and supply 5v at the battery terminals - i think i can do that with a rechargeable power bank battery if its a decent size/life (like 10,000-20,000 mah) i will also tap off the peripherals (like card reader) from the same supply.apparently the power switch cuts ground (not positive) to allow the unit to drain power after shutdown and reset (memory state?) so attaching a card reader and other things may upset shutdown - if someone else knows - is it then adequate just to reset the unit on restart ? i've also heard it is possible to make your own 3.3v regulated supply and bypass the led- but that seems more complicated. 
Hopefully that gives a picture of what i'm thinking -but i'm happy for anyone with more knowledge to set me straight on things.
i've gathered as many bits of websites/links as i can find that aren't totally dead - and i'd be happy to make these links available - (but as there a quite a few i'm not sure best way to post the links and its a bit of a jumble)  - but you've probably all found that stuff already anyway

On 10/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, RodLightning said:

Ten or more years later, a lot of the old links with necessary diagrams, firmware and instructions are dead.

A lot of C64 DTV talk is still archived at

https://jledger.proboards.com/board/4/dtvhacking

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobertB said:

A lot of C64 DTV talk is still archived at

https://jledger.proboards.com/board/4/dtvhacking

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Thanks.  I had almost forgotten about the DTV and Hummer devices.  Hopefully I will be able to mod my hummer game, without bricking the thing. :)