I'm putting this up a rather complete Beta.  The game was done entirely in batari basic using the DPC+ kernel.  When I started I planned to write in assembly but, frankly, batari basic was just too helpful to ignore.  The game is intended to be an example of 'easy to play hard to master.'  You only get one life so you need to master each level in order to complete the game.  All feedback appreciated.  I hope you enjoy!

Tim

Rev 1.1 : Updated the pause code so that the game doesn't start paused on STELLA (i.e., left switch A = pause B = play)

Rev 1.2 : Added Game nos. 4-6 to provide multi-life gameplay option; Pause logic now uses COLOR/BW switch

image.thumb.png.a811abb78cc2cc1919140eba9e4c886b.png  

HEISTv1_1.bin

HEIST Game Manual v1_2.pdf HEISTv1_2.bin  

- Note:  Just realized that v1.2 can run over scan lines.  Makes little difference for use with Stella but will scroll on real hardware.  Looking into fix. Thx.

Edited by TXmarsh
  • Like 7

Might want to redo the pause code. On Stella, the game starts out paused. Took me a while pressing F keys to figure out why nothing was moving.

12 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Might want to redo the pause code. On Stella, the game starts out paused. Took me a while pressing F keys to figure out why nothing was moving.

Ah yes... updated in v1.1 so that left switch B = play and A = Pause.  Thanks!

We'll be featuring Heist LIVE on today's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Heist (2019 WIP) by TXmarsh
- Goon Nights (2019) by Glenn Main
- Skiing (1980 Activision Patch Challenge) by Bob Whitehead

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

I thought that having a single life would add to the challenge but perhaps some feel that it is simply too frustrating.  So, here's a poll... who wants the option to play with a total of 3 lives? - Thanks!

1 = It's fine with only one life... it adds nicely to the challenge

2 = The constant restarting is driving me nuts... give me more lives!

3 hours ago, TXmarsh said:

I thought that having a single life would add to the challenge but perhaps some feel that it is simply too frustrating.  So, here's a poll... who wants the option to play with a total of 3 lives? - Thanks!

1 = It's fine with only one life... it adds nicely to the challenge

2 = The constant restarting is driving me nuts... give me more lives!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One life is too frustrating and makes high scores on the game a matter of random chance.

To give you a better idea of what I mean, imagine a game that displays a random face of a die (1-6) for a fraction of a second (say 1 frame). The player presses the button to add the die face to their score, but on a 1, the game is over. At the speed the die faces change, there is little skill involved with this game. On average, the player will press their button 4 times and the game will end with the average score being 14. But, if you play the game enough, by random chance you will get a run of button presses 10 or more that aren’t 1 that will net you a high score.

Having only one life isn’t desirable if don’t want the game to be frustrating. Having too many lives is also an issue, since having 100+ lives might make how many you have left almost meaningless.

what you might want to do is start with 3/5 lives, and give the player a way to earn additional lives, perhaps by performing a task that is more risky than normal. For example, you might award a additional life for completing a level without firing their gun. (Not sure is this is currently possible with the current level and police placement). Or award an additional life for completing the heist quickly before “the police respond”. (A common trope in Bank Heist movies is the gang sets their watches and says they have X minutes before the police will respond, so they cannot attempt to break into the vault and just get the money in the drawers)

• Like 1

Ok, rev 1-2 will be posted soon.  It adds game options 4, 5, and 6 which are the same as games 1, 2 and 3 but with 3 lives. Thanks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TXmarsh said:

Ok, rev 1-2 will be posted soon.  It adds game options 4, 5, and 6 which are the same as games 1, 2 and 3 but with 3 lives. Thanks.

Sweet! Can't wait!!

I caught the ZPH episode on this. I was thinking it would be more intense gameplay if there's an alarm claxon after the money is taken. I used to play Splinter Cell years ago and that would happen when you got spotted.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, azure said:

I caught the ZPH episode on this. I was thinking it would be more intense gameplay if there's an alarm claxon after the money is taken. I used to play Splinter Cell years ago and that would happen when you got spotted.

If I understand what you are saying, it actually already has this feature.  Initially, the police will not pursue you unless you get close to them.  However, once you take the money all the police begin chasing you regardless of how far away they are.  Another officer also comes after you through the exit door.   I could add an alarm sound if that would amp up the intensity.  Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

If you eventually use a pause feature that also works with the Atari 7800, remember to mute the sound while the game is paused. The way it is now, if a sound is playing while the game is paused, there will be a constant annoying noise.

14 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

If you eventually use a pause feature that also works with the Atari 7800, remember to mute the sound while the game is paused. The way it is now, if a sound is playing while the game is paused, there will be a constant annoying noise.

7800? What kind of advanced alien tech are you talking about?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got a chance to play this.  It's a fun game!  Reminds me of a variation of Lock 'N Chase.  Keep up the good work on this one!