IGNORED

Moon Patrol redux

TIX

7 hours ago, ascrnet said:

ah ok, I see that it is complicated. Another option that occurred to me is to leave the third button to continue playing. The idea is to use 3 buttons if possible. ?

Regards

I have located the firing code and I think I can split it. I probably won't get around to trying it out until next week but I presume separate buttons for missiles and bullets is still the preferred option?

Are you sure about just checking against $E4? With the Genesis controller I gave it some headroom, < $20 for release, >= $C4 for press. My reason for doing so was that it's old hardware, both the computer and the controller, so it seemed wise to give it some leeway in case it's not as accurate as it was in its youth.

I noticed on GitHub you don't have Scramble where I supported the Genesis controller. It's not in the pirated version at the start of the topic but it is present in the version I released here:

It will automatically use the Genesis C button for bombs.

I wouldn't normally code for something that I don't have the hardware for, but ever since coming back to the A8 I've wanted more buttons. Ideally I'd prefer to buy something ready made but maybe I'll try putting one together as a project over Christmas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, playsoft said:

I have located the firing code and I think I can split it. I probably won't get around to trying it out until next week but I presume separate buttons for missiles and bullets is still the preferred option?

Are you sure about just checking against $E4? With the Genesis controller I gave it some headroom, < $20 for release, >= $C4 for press. My reason for doing so was that it's old hardware, both the computer and the controller, so it seemed wise to give it some leeway in case it's not as accurate as it was in its youth.

I noticed on GitHub you don't have Scramble where I supported the Genesis controller. It's not in the pirated version at the start of the topic but it is present in the version I released here:

It will automatically use the Genesis C button for bombs.

I wouldn't normally code for something that I don't have the hardware for, but ever since coming back to the A8 I've wanted more buttons. Ideally I'd prefer to buy something ready made but maybe I'll try putting one together as a project over Christmas.

Exactly the first option is to separate the shots and the second to continue. I have no problem waiting two or four weeks to take it easy

The Joy 2B+ is easier $ 1 is button not pressed and $ e4 button pressed, it only has 2 status for the resistance to be added.

joy2b.png

Here I put the photo of the design to have 3 buttons only with 2 resistors and already with more than 15 adapted games. https://github.com/ascrnet/TestJoy2B

For things of time I still do not make a design to print in 3D to make a better design than the proof of concept I did

regards

On 11/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, playsoft said:

I'm a huge fan of the arcade version and now of he new A8 version and I'd really say that is not a good idea. The fast up-fire and the slow forward-fire (that often lets you die on a rock although you fire constantly) belongs deep to the tactics and the rhythm of the game. Sure you could keep the slow forward-fire, but it's still of no use to separate both IMHO.

Cheers

Bern

• Like 3

I found a problem with the original Atari A8 Moon Patrol AND Moon Patrol Redux: You cannot jump while the fire button is pressed! Really, please try it yourself! When I press both buttons at the same time in front of a hole (I do it regularly in the Arcade version on my MAME cabinet), it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't, depends on what button I press a millisecond earlier. The result: death! Maybe this behaviour could be changed somehow?

Regards

Bern

17 hours ago, biobern said:

I found a problem with the original Atari A8 Moon Patrol AND Moon Patrol Redux: You cannot jump while the fire button is pressed! Really, please try it yourself! When I press both buttons at the same time in front of a hole (I do it regularly in the Arcade version on my MAME cabinet), it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't, depends on what button I press a millisecond earlier. The result: death! Maybe this behaviour could be changed somehow?

Regards

Bern

Yes it is a feature of the original version. I never noticed it playing with an Atari joystick but found it with the Sega pad as there is more of a tendency to rest your thumb on it. I have changed it in the final release.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cgfatari79 said:

I found this to be a problem too but only in the redux version. Will have to play the original again and check. 

Both the A8 and 5200 versions I have behave like this (the 5200 uses one trigger to fire and the other to jump, but it is still coded to ignore jump while fire is held).

When you check I think you will find it is present in the original, but if not please send me the image as I'd like to check if there are any other differences too.

1 hour ago, playsoft said:

Yes it is a feature of the original version. I never noticed it playing with an Atari joystick but found it with the Sega pad as there is more of a tendency to rest your thumb on it. I have changed it in the final release.

Sega pad: That's correct. And the tendency is even bigger with the Sega Arcade Power Stick or self built Arcade sticks where you fire with your index finger and jump with your middle finger. What "final release" are you talking about please?

Cheers

Bern

30 minutes ago, biobern said:

Sega pad: That's correct. And the tendency is even bigger with the Sega Arcade Power Stick or self built Arcade sticks where you fire with your index finger and jump with your middle finger. What "final release" are you talking about please?

Cheers

Bern

The one coming soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK @playsoft did his magic under the hood, introducing various control schemes and bug fixes !

he also alters the sprites properties thus gave me the possibility to edit the following, bringing this closer to the arcade:

• redrawn single wide alien sprites (more frames plus slowed down animation)!
  • redrawn double wide buggy (and title screen buggy) !
  • redrawn explosions !!
  • redrawn rocket car
  • redrawn rocks
  • redrawn rolling boulders

image.png.9eba8353ec104250fc017e62bd49caa9.png  

You will find revision 4 in the first post !

Enjoy

Edited by TIX
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, TIX said:

OK @playsoft did his magic under the hood, introducing various control schemes and bug fixes !

he also alters the sprites properties thus gave me the possibility to edit the following, bringing this closer to the arcade:

• redrawn single wide alien sprites (more frames plus slowed down animation)!
  • redrawn double wide buggy (and title screen buggy) !
  • redrawn explosions !!
  • redrawn rocket car
  • redrawn rocks
  • redrawn rolling boulders

image.png.9eba8353ec104250fc017e62bd49caa9.png  

You will find revision 4 in the first post !

Enjoy

Hoily-cow!

When I thought we were already done... it turns out it is getting even *better*! It now has the look of a total-game re-write...

On a class of its own, indeed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The single size sprites with additional frames are much better. The new explosion is also a nice improvement. It's good to see Moon Patrol improved, it was on my list of games that I'd like to remake from scratch so that's great. There's certainly an endless long list of titles that the A8 doesn't have at all that I can work on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

OK. To write it in clean words: The Graphics look much better now. 

But!

Using the single size Players on the enemies makes the Buggy now looking completely displaced. 

Any idea to solve this?

Actually the buggy has been shrunk too !

and if you compare with the arcade you'll see that the size analogy is about right..

image.png.ccb40ecb815c9d418a91c99575c9dde2.png  image.thumb.png.20da6e4897c022c7a44b6b0da7d9f1b7.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Actually the buggy has been shrunk too !

and if you compare with the arcade you'll see that the size analogy is about right..

image.png.ccb40ecb815c9d418a91c99575c9dde2.png  image.thumb.png.20da6e4897c022c7a44b6b0da7d9f1b7.png

You know , it's about the resolution?

Everything is at 160 pixel. Only the buggy is a 80 pixels. 

As long as the enemies had also 80 pixels width, things looked balanced. 

• Confused 2

Impressive work - well done.  Took me a while to twig on that the download is available on the first page.

However - I would have liked to have seen how it might look, with a person placed in the vehicle.  While not in the coin-op, I wonder if it can work?

That it looks to be unmanned.  Whereas in the era it was made - I would assume that this is suppose to be a full sized manned vehicle?

I think the missile launcher area needs to appear to look solid unless the missile is seen to be firing through the gaps there.

The new little explosions look very nice now - makes me think that the rover explosion needs to match this.  Maybe it's explosion is going too fast so that you can't see the many? frames there.

The game appears to be more responsive than before.  This good cart game has been elevated towards being a great game.

Harvey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiwilove said:

However - I would have liked to have seen how it might look, with a person placed in the vehicle.  While not in the coin-op, I wonder if it can work?

That it looks to be unmanned.  Whereas in the era it was made - I would assume that this is suppose to be a full sized manned vehicle?

It is supposed to be the windshield reflecting the surrounding colors  :P

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tezz said:

The single size sprites with additional frames are much better. The new explosion is also a nice improvement. It's good to see Moon Patrol improved, it was on my list of games that I'd like to remake from scratch so that's great. There's certainly an endless long list of titles that the A8 doesn't have at all that I can work on.

A little bit off topic: What about hacking Dropzone back to a better Defender? Anyone tried to find out what is possible here?

Thanks....