IGNORED

Moon Patrol redux

TIX

Houston we have a problem!

After over a week of playing in the HSC I'm still thoroughly enjoying playing the Redux version. I thought I was going crazy but no, if you beat the record time for a stage you do not score any of the bonus!!! It's ok if you equal or fail to beat it.

There are a few other comments on the HSC thread, I did just load the original MP not expecting to notice much but wow you have made some great improvements, especially the right edge of screen gap / colour alignment. What about tackling that single square on the up slope sections?!!

One player completed the 3rd round, have you added other difficulties for 3rd round onwards?

:)

• Like 1

Nothing in that area was changed but unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying it seems OK to me.

Beat the default record:

mp1.png.3c9a87675fc40d823920d040be74998e.png

Points get added (2350 + 1900 = 4250) but not until after it prints "You have set a new record!":

mp2.png.163ea178894a57fc8fd8233ed6f9ae47.png

Play again and beat the new record:

mp3.png.c7d96c376379868d03fefc2c54a12b36.png

Points get added (2150 + 2900 = 5050):

mp4.png.c06011f4f99bada4be946a99e96d5e0c.png

Hi Jason,

Not sure I can help as it was OK on my 130XE, booted from cold with Option held and then binary loaded from DOS 2.5 via SIO2PC. It is also OK when I load it from the UNO cart.

I don't know anything about mydos or mypicodos. I have a 810 which I will probably set up after Christmas for something else so I can try a real disk then, but I can't see it making any difference.

Paul 

mp1.thumb.JPG.2a85c8b54555475514f33478c3bebead.JPG

mp2.thumb.JPG.735bf1680ab6f4cb46e0f36ff1349a23.JPG

• Like 1

So you made everyone else play the harder version! ?

No level data was changed period, so it will play however the original did. You can look at it with this, a hacked version which is generated to test everything out. It still performs collision detection but it won't destroy the buggy so you can make your way through as many rounds as you like (it does cause some glitching with the buggy at times).

cheat.xex

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Hi playsoft,

Thank you very much for adding Joy 2B+ support in version 4.?

Regards

You're welcome. I hacked my Mega Drive pad for 3 buttons so I will now be supporting it in the future. One question, if I only support 2 buttons should I still label it as Joy 2B+?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, playsoft said:

No level data was changed period, so it will play however the original did. You can look at it with this, a hacked version which is generated to test everything out. It still performs collision detection but it won't destroy the buggy so you can make your way through as many rounds as you like (it does cause some glitching with the buggy at times).

Got to win somehow eh? Hope no one else is reading this!

That hack with an unbreakable buggy should be a good one for kids to play ?

5 hours ago, playsoft said:

cheat.xex 27.06 kB · 6 downloads

As an idea it would be good to leave a combination of keys on the display screen to activate immortality as other games do.?

5 hours ago, playsoft said:

You're welcome. I hacked my Mega Drive pad for 3 buttons so I will now be supporting it in the future. One question, if I only support 2 buttons should I still label it as Joy 2B+?

with the name Joy 2B+ since it is for 1 or 2 additional buttons to the standard button.?

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I call it Multifire support :)

will be the alias ?

greetings

6 hours ago, playsoft said:

I don't quite follow which version would be easier or harder, but at least I asked early on in the round that we're playing the latest version posted, at that point v4 which I also got confirmed from another HSC player that we indeed did.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carlsson said:

I don't quite follow which version would be easier or harder, but at least I asked early on in the round that we're playing the latest version posted, at that point v4 which I also got confirmed from another HSC player that we indeed did.

I missed out on the bonuses so I think I swindled myself! Still wouldn't have beaten McKong's huge score, next time I'm going for the version above with the indestructable moon buggy :D

Again great work guys, really enjoyed playing this. I think you might have made the first round harder now so you could run the big aliens as an option or something.

MPa.jpg.35a11075c9f8effbc399bb5d398326a9.jpgMPb.jpg.6a6e8291344e0ceb8f5def502abbc6ba.jpgMPc.jpg.9cddf9e5d6b1369493f84bf8c5cbf4ed.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TIX said:

what is left to do ?

Good question. Small things. ?

- The "time to reach point x - sorry no bonus"-interruption is about 7 seconds in the arcade, about 11 seconds at the Atari. Much longer if you reach a bonus. Too slow if you are a moon patrol speed runner IMHO. ;-) 

- Musik resets and starts from the beginning if a buggy-goes-uphill-sequence starts. Is this an easy fix?

- Maybe demo mode could start automatically between title screens? I absolutely love arcade-like attract modes.

- Flickering 8x8-pixel square on the right side of the screen when the buggy goes uphill.

Very small things, I know. It's already great.

Bern

On 1/16/2020 at 5:37 AM, biobern said:

- Maybe demo mode could start automatically between title screens? I absolutely love arcade-like attract modes.

Bern

Me too! I like to have games loaded with attract modes if I'm giving Atari tours or tours in general, of my home to guests, and there aren't enough games with attract modes. I usually find some looping demo to show of the machine working instead. But there are some very cool games, new and old, that are missing attract modes that should have them!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, biobern said:

Good question. Small things. ?

- The "time to reach point x - sorry no bonus"-interruption is about 7 seconds in the arcade, about 11 seconds at the Atari. Much longer if you reach a bonus. Too slow if you are a moon patrol speed runner IMHO. ;-) 

- Musik resets and starts from the beginning if a buggy-goes-uphill-sequence starts. Is this an easy fix?

- Flickering 8x8-pixel square on the right side of the screen when the buggy goes uphill.

Bern

I didn't do the uphill music because that looks too tricky but everything else seems OK.

updated.xex

• Like 8

On 1/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, patjomki said:

I'd vote for a buggy that looks like in the title screen (single wide instead of double wide).

The buggy on the title screen uses all 4 player graphics. You can't use them all for the buggy during the game because they are needed for other things (the bombs being dropped at you, the explosions, the rolling boulders).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1