IGNORED

Moon Patrol redux

TIX

14 hours ago, eightbit said:

This is bar none my favorite version of this game for *anything* (that includes the arcade). So fluid, so responsive, great graphics, sound and attention to detail. Thank you!

Thank you! Although it's been mentioned before I'm not sure I can take credit for anything aiding responsiveness(*). In making the aliens smaller I was able to remove some code that set the size registers, but I doubt that had much impact overall. TIX's great graphics make everything seem better but most of the positives were already there from the original team, just that they were restricted to 16K RAM so it didn't shine as much as it should have.

(*) For PAL users, having the music at the correct speed, instead of playing too slowly, may make it seem so.

• Like 4

Some bug reports here:
There's an issue with the console keys on the starting screen - when you press one, you have to wait about a second before pressing it again, otherwise it won't be registered. Same applies to the J/C/D keys, only the delay is a bit shorter. Also, attract mode suddently starts even when you were pressing the keys. I think correct behaviour would be to reset the attract mode timer whenever a console key (or J) is pressed.

9 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Some bug reports here:
There's an issue with the console keys on the starting screen - when you press one, you have to wait about a second before pressing it again, otherwise it won't be registered. Same applies to the J/C/D keys, only the delay is a bit shorter. Also, attract mode suddently starts even when you were pressing the keys. I think correct behaviour would be to reset the attract mode timer whenever a console key (or J) is pressed.

They had delays of $11 for the console keys and $0B for the keyboard keys (presumably in frames) during which another key press was ignored. I don't know why they chose these values. I changed them both to $04 and gave it a quick test on both NTSC and PAL machines. It seems OK, no double presses, so see how you get on with it.

In the previous update (post #171) a change was made for it to automatically cycle between the title screen and the demo. This has a side-effect of stopping it going into attract mode because I did that by pretending keys had been pressed.

updated.xex

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, biobern said:

What might still be done: The bombs that leave holes in the ground could be visually distinguished from those that do not. In the arcade version, the bombs that leave holes are small flickering rhombuses.

If it knows that at the point of launch then it's a possibility. I have some other things I want to do, but will take a look later in the year.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a 90K ATR made of the latest revision? I found an ATR on Homesoft's site, but it's 180K, and the other sites and here are .xex's. I want to make a 90K floppy disk of the game for my 800 and 810 drive. I use 1050toPC and APE's Prosystem. At the moment I don't have another way to get new content on my 800, and that's easier that re-connecting the 1050 to my 800. Temporarily, until I get my Incognito installed. I don't care if it's a single auto-boot image or a menu disk with other files, just 90K ATR. I can get there other ways, this is just the only way without having to swap hardware around between my 1200XL and 800. The 1200XL is down for repairs, so I can't make my own ATR with the .xex file on it.

Edited by Gunstar

21 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Does anyone have a 90K ATR made of the latest revision? I found an ATR on Homesoft's site, but it's 180K, and the other sites and here are .xex's. I want to make a 90K floppy disk of the game for my 800 and 810 drive. I use 1050toPC and APE's Prosystem. At the moment I don't have another way to get new content on my 800, and that's easier that re-connecting the 1050 to my 800. Temporarily, until I get my Incognito installed. I don't care if it's a single auto-boot image or a menu disk with other files, just 90K ATR. I can get there other ways, this is just the only way without having to swap hardware around between my 1200XL and 800. The 1200XL is down for repairs, so I can't make my own ATR with the .xex file on it.

Hopefully this is what you are after. I made a 90K disk image in Altirra, put DOS2 on it and copied the XEX.

updated.atr

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, playsoft said:

They had delays of $11 for the console keys and $0B for the keyboard keys (presumably in frames) during which another key press was ignored. I don't know why they chose these values. I changed them both to $04 and gave it a quick test on both NTSC and PAL machines. It seems OK, no double presses, so see how you get on with it.

In the previous update (post #171) a change was made for it to automatically cycle between the title screen and the demo. This has a side-effect of stopping it going into attract mode because I did that by pretending keys had been pressed.

updated.xex 27.15 kB · 61 downloads

Could you please let me know if this one is the latest version 4 update? thank you!:)

On 8/8/2020 at 4:16 PM, TIX said:

Yeas it is !

Compatibility note: The program relies on PMBASE ($d407) being $00 implictly. This has caused display issue when menu systems like The!Cart are used which use PM gfx before the start. I've fixed my menu, but it might be something worth adding in case of future update (e.g. LDA #$00:STA $D407).

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Got my Atari 800 fired up again and tried out this again tonight.   Man it is beautiful.   A nice looking, much closer to the arcade version now.  And with the slightly easier and more fun controls of the Atari 8-bit.  :D

Glad the changes were possible over all that we all did.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am suspicious. I think Toyota got their idea for a moon rover from this redux. I'd like to see how this handles going over a crater though. 

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84266/toyota-unveils-insane-lunar-rover-designs-with-robotic-arms/index.html

Z4LnLSVoYG6jumvXBC7Vvk.jpeg

Edited by Mark loves Stella
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3