IGNORED

Hello from Canada! Overheating Intellivision 1

Speedman

What happened?  Are you saying the switch didn't turn the intellivision off.  So it remained powered on and just being powered on for an extended period of time damaged the chip?

There are people here that have old new stock of intellivision parts.  Maybe someone has an RA-3-9600.  Try sending user Humblejack a message. 

And I've always unplugged my intellivision when not in use.  The transformer staying warm bothered me.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:56 AM, mr_me said:

What happened?  Are you saying the switch didn't turn the intellivision off.  So it remained powered on and just being powered on for an extended period of time damaged the chip?

There are people here that have old new stock of intellivision parts.  Maybe someone has an RA-3-9600.  Try sending user Humblejack a message. 

And I've always unplugged my intellivision when not in use.  The transformer staying warm bothered me.

Hey there,

No, i always unplug it when finished. So what happened is that there seemed to have been slight mm in difrences between the 2 switches caused the power switch to hang up while powering on, leading me to power off and power on again so that the switch slides and is fully seated and not making intermittent connections.

I've should have known better just by feeling the switch sliding, as well as owning a Collecovision which is known to also have these power button issues (as well as others) that end up shorting the ram chip, which the Intellivision uses the same style of power switch.

I will try, thanks for the reply btw!

I guess these systems get more brittle with age... not unlike their owners, one might say. :P

Unplugging the unit is a habit I've certainly fallen into, though I have -- even in recent times -- kept systems up and running days at a time, continuously -- and on purpose.  Luckily they seem no worse for the wear.

Must have had a nasty jolt in there to fry a RAM chip.

10 minutes ago, intvsteve said:

I guess these systems get more brittle with age... not unlike their owners, one might say. :P

Unplugging the unit is a habit I've certainly fallen into, though I have -- even in recent times -- kept systems up and running days at a time, continuously -- and on purpose.  Luckily they seem no worse for the wear.

Must have had a nasty jolt in there to fry a RAM chip.

Ya, these GI Ram chips are very sensitive!!!