IGNORED

A newly discovered method for playing games on the 5200 with a mouse

ave1

1 hour ago, ave1 said:

Okay, I'll ask the seller that question.  This may get very interesting if we could get Ikonsgr74 to make a single adapter to get USB or PS/2 mice compatible with the single and two button 5200 games (or, at most, use two adapters to do this instead of three). 

Okay. I got the second button working on the C64 mouse in 1350 mode working with second button in defender, beam rider, and Tempest. Maybe your right button is not responding as it is a 35 year old mouse. Maybe it could be cleaned or repaired. 

Pole Position is such a strange game with the alternate controllers. I had to push down both the left and right button to accelerate in pole position. I think in paddle mode the right button accelerated, but then I had no steering. This was not necessary with the three part usb mouse setup. I used the right button to accelerate and left to brake. 

I also learned that that the reason centipede seems more jittery with these setups is that in analog mode you can move at two speeds, slow and fast, depending on how far you push the analog stick. In digital mode you only have fast speed, so it is less precise. 

12 hours ago, ave1 said:

Okay, I'll ask the seller that question.  This may get very interesting if we could get Ikonsgr74 to make a single adapter to get USB or PS/2 mice compatible with the single and two button 5200 games (or, at most, use two adapters to do this instead of three). 

I believe the amiga mouse to joystick adapter I use by ikonsgr74 may be the only  one to support mouse to joystick with two button, except for the PlayStation to Amiga adapter that only works with a PlayStation mouse, which is rarer than the c64 mouse. Seems I checked all over in the past.

Micromys just got back to me and said that once again in version 5, the Micromys adapter supports two buttons in 1351 mouse mode, but only one button in 1350 joystick mode. Hopefully sordin has changed to two but joystick mouse.

I thought the Rys adapter supported two button 1350 mode from its description, but it turns out it supports 2 button Amiga, Atari, and 1351 mouse, but does not support 1350 mouse mode at all.:woozy:

P.S. Micromys wants to know what two button Amiga games I want to play with a mouse. :rolling:

Not sure how you got the 1351 C64 mouse to get two buttons (not just left but right) working. Do you have the 1351 mouse (I noticed you typed 1350)- just want to make sure there aren't two versions of the C64 mouse...

I tried to see if it worked on Dreadnaught Factor this morning - Nope.  It's giving me left button only.

Now I've thought about this and the right mouse button must work because that's the one which has to be pressed when you turn on the console to put it in joystick mode. It's going into joystick mode... So it works. Kinda weird. 

Sordin hasn't yet replied to my  question... 

Edited by ave1

26 minutes ago, ave1 said:

Not sure how you got the 1351 C64 mouse to get two buttons (not just left but right) working. Do you have the 1351 mouse (I noticed you typed 1350)- just want to make sure there aren't two versions of the C64 mouse...

I tried to see if it worked on Dreadnaught Factor this morning - Nope.  It's giving me left button only.

Now I've thought about this and the right mouse button must work because that's the one which has to be pressed when you turn on the console to put it in joystick mode. It's going into joystick mode... So it works. Kinda weird. 

Sordin hasn't yet replied to my  question... 

There was the 1350 joystick mouse before the 1351 true mouse, which also supported 1350 joystick mode by holding the right button. I have the 1351 mouse and I was using it in joystick mode. I tried it with several agmes and the right button worked as fire 2 on them, except for the weird case of pole position.

That is odd, but then so is that pole position behavior.

24 minutes ago, ave1 said:

I'm going to try it out on my 4 port 5200 (as opposed to my 2 port 5200) to see what happens when I get home from work this evening or tomorrow morning. Maybe this makes a difference...? 

Sometimes, I think, adapters with ICs can be finicky to small variations in similar items and also games/consoles designed to work with particular controllers. Like I said above, I have an optical mouse that works as an Amiga mouse and has a 9-pin connector on it that works great for Amiga mouse hacks on the Atari 2600, but does not work with ikonsgr74's Amiga mouse to joystick adapter. I think you've also seen with some of your adapters that some mice work and others don't. The old PCs worked with pretty much any PS/2 mouse or keyboard, but PS/2 adapters are picky about which ones they work with. Its pretty strange how this happens. Good luck.

The Sordin or Micomys mouse to joystick adapter would probably be okay anyway. It would just be a one-button controller.